Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

curious, why? none of us 100% understand canes

We understand it enough that it won't do what you suggest. It may go through an RI phase to reach category 3, with a far far outside shot of minimal category 4 status... but it's not going to explosively intensify like Wilma. The environmental factors are just not there.

There's not nearly the oceanic heat potential here as in the NW caribbean and this storm doesn't have the kind of inner-core that Wilma did. Frankly, Wilma was truely a one-of-a-kind with it's rate of intensification but it occured in an area that has historically been favorable to RI.

There's only so much potential heat energy available to a storm in a given location, and then you must subtract negative factors such as shear, dry air intrusion, land interaction, etc. Wilma had no negative factors inhibiting her, and she was over bath water with excellent core structure. She exploded. Isaac has had some land interaction which disrupted his core structure as well as some shear and dry air. He is now on a better path, but even so, his potential energy from the ocean is much less than what Wilma had, and his surrounding environment is still less stellar than hers.

The short answer is NO.

So many factors have to come together perfectly to allow a storm to become a category 5. This storm isn't even close. We would simply need a wilma rate of intensification over the next 24 hours, and that simply isn't possible in this current environment.

The gulf is not favorable at all right now. Too much shear, temps suck. I would be surprised if it made it to high-end 2 before landfall. The satellite profile is terrible, too disorganized, not enough upper level outflow even.

Yeah, the temperatures in the GOM really suck right now. Mid-80s are awful. You expect it to strength 2-3 categories to a high-end Cat 2 yet nothing is favorable? Give me a break.

http://www.nodc.noaa.../egof_tmap.html

:rolleyes:

Why would you want it to get organized? There's several million people in the path of this thing. I know we all love weather and like to see these systems grow and contract etc. But I wouldn't be rooting for this thing to come on shore as a strengthening hurricane. Lots of lives and property at stake. Keep that in mind.

Seeing as you are new here, this has been gone over and over....storm after storm....

It's been reconciled within the community of weather enthusiasts...

Yeah, the temperatures in the GOM really suck right now. Mid-80s are awful. You expect it to strength 2-3 categories to a high-end Cat 2 yet nothing is favorable? Give me a break.

http://www.nodc.noaa.../egof_tmap.html

:rolleyes:

This thread is terrible. I've come to decide that all posts in this thread are for entertainment purposes only.

This thread is terrible. I've come to decide that all posts in this thread are for entertainment purposes only.

I think what happened is as the storm continued to fizzle the posts in the main thread got crappier today. As a result, the good banter posters were now crappy posters in the main thread, and only the true garbage ended up in the banter thread. That's my theory anyway.

Moving onto the storm, I was wondering if any of the dynamics that cause storms to ride up the east coast would cause Isaac to maybe ride the LA coast and make it to Texas? (I'm aware the dynamics of trough v. ridge are completely different...but maybe they share some similarities?) I have just seen maybe a few more ensemble members leak towards Texas today and started wondering if that was a real possibility or not.

While I'm asking stupid questions should the NHC pull the trigger on the big H following that 74 kt. FL wind? Should motivating the people on the gulf coast to prepare more be a factor in whether they decide to or not?

I think what happened is as the storm continued to fizzle the posts in the main thread got crappier today. As a result, the good banter posters were now crappy posters in the main thread, and only the true garbage ended up in the banter thread. That's my theory anyway.

See, this is part of the problem. What part of all of the constant current observations makes you in any way believe that the storm has "fizzled" today?

See, this is part of the problem. What part of all of the constant current observations makes you in any way believe that the storm has "fizzled" today?

That is what you picked out of my post? Very well, I guess I didn't mean fizzle, more like sputter, struggle, etc. My point is that people in general, and some red taggers on this board in particular, seem less interested by this storm today than they were yesterday. I assumed it was because of the lack of intensification but maybe there is another reason.

That is what you picked out of my post? Very well, I guess I didn't mean fizzle, more like sputter, struggle, etc. My point is that people in general, and some red taggers on this board in particular, seem less interested by this storm today than they were yesterday. I assumed it was because of the lack of intensification but maybe there is another reason.

Around this time yesterday, people were thinking major hurricane landfall along the Gulf Coast. Now that this possibility has diminished, people are naturally less interested. Of course, impacts will still be severe -- on the order of Gustav.

I suppose the crappy post quality today is a natural extension of the frustration that after 1.5 weeks of looking like a potential major hurricane, Isaac may only end up being a Cat 1-2 around landfall, and only for a ~24 hours before coming ashore.

20Z Update: I am currently tracking Boothville, LA as my highest threat area this hour. Right now looking at winds to pick up after 03Z to 35-40mph, then above 50mph after 09Z, then peaking around 70-75mph from 16Z-19Z time frame. In addition, heavy rainfall will start 12Z through 20Z, with rainfall rates .28” per hour for several hours. Tracking 3.0” through 28th at 20Z. In addition areas around Houma Terrebonne, New Orleans, Gulfport looking at winds up to 50mph in the same time frame. Also tracking areas across coast from Florida to Gulfport with Thunderstorms with convective gust around 55-60mph.

True but one would think that those 73kt FL winds should mix to the surface soon especally with pressures dropping. Should go up to at least 70mph at 5 , though I'm wondering if theyll upgrade it to hurricame status just because the public may take it a little more serious than a TS although were not exactly at the point of LF yet either. Time will tell.

(from the main thread but I figured my point was banter) -- we should scrap TS and Hurricane and just call everything Tropical Cyclones...there isn't a significant difference between a 75 mph minimal hurricane a 70 mph tropical storm, yet we worry about the designation like it's some magic barrier. In reality, a large 70 mph tropical storm is likely going to cause more of a geographic impact from a wind/water standpoint than a Charley sized cat 1.

Around this time yesterday, people were thinking major hurricane landfall along the Gulf Coast. Now that this possibility has diminished, people are naturally less interested. Of course, impacts will still be severe -- on the order of Gustav.

I suppose the crappy post quality today is a natural extension of the frustration that after 1.5 weeks of looking like a potential major hurricane, Isaac may only end up being a Cat 1-2 around landfall, and only for a ~24 hours before coming ashore.

...and the bigger story will be the very slow movement once inland. Flooding from rain may be a bigger issue than levees breaching.

Tom,

Great points listed above.

The flooding rain threat and the levee breaching kinda go hand in hand I would assume?

What's your thoughts in storm surge? I'm thinking it's not gonna be as "quick", but a slowing TC with the center passing just west of NO could mean a persistent onshore flow into the area, which could be an issue. I'm no expert though

My captain at work has a sister in law that just moved I Gretna, La (bout 10 mins south of Nawlins on the south side of the MS river.. I'll do my best to give some updates from that position. So far, it's only voluntary evacuations.

Tom,

What's your thoughts in storm surge?

Obviously, I'm not Tom, but I figured I'd share what I know.

With much of NOLA below sea level, the rainwater that falls must be pumped out of the city to a higher elevation, which might be into the Mississippi, Lake Pontch, or elswhere. The issue about that, from what I've heard, is whether or not the pumps are up to the task. The other thing to consider is that the Mississippi will rise due to all the drainage from upstream. That could cause it to rise and potentially breech levees.

I don't know what, if anything, has been done about preventing storm surge from coming from the GoM up canals and/or the Mississippi since Katrina, but that apparently was a problem in 2005, but that has relatively nothing to do with rainfall. There are, I believe, supposed to be locks that get closed to stop the Gulf from coming up the canals and the river.

Rainfall shouldn't have anything to do with Lake Pontch rising, because that is at sea level and is directly connected to the Gulf, but there is no way to keep the level from getting too high in the lake, especially if the winds are from the SE and funnel the surge right into the lake from that direction.

Katrina did not send SE'ly wind-driven surge into the lake, but the surge was surely FAR higher than what Isaac will produce anyway.

Archived