• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe Weather July 24-27th Observation/Discussion

WilkesboroDude

Me and Shaggy chased in SW Pitt Co but overall it was maybe slightly above average peak gust on the handheld was 45 mph, there was some 50-70 mph reports 10 miles to our north so we may have just missed the real good stuff :(

No hail and didnt see any real damage anywhere on the ride home leaves and small limbs in a few places but about what you would expect from a 30-45 mph wind event over most of the area.

Eh, better luck next time...the storms that were over WV/OH/KY around 3pm really took a pounding and are now nothing but isolated sprinkles. Not making it over the mountains. Fail!

Pretty much a huge forecast bust for my area anyway.

It was fairly obvious to me around 12PM it would bust when the cloud cover/outflow boundary came through,that put a halt on anything firing up here.Better firing would be east/south of 85.Second line plowing down would weaken coming into cooler/stable air and that's what happened.

Some jumped on the hype and got burned,need to pay more attention to what's actually going on.

Beautiful squall line tracking towards the NC coast but I'm seeing something all too familiar; the outflow ahead of the storms is getting awfully far ahead of the line. For the Cape Fear area this pattern has been the death knell for many a storm this summer. My confidence in getting a storm is diminishing.... Not giving up but getting nervous.

Terrific close-up satellite view: http://www.ssd.noaa..../flash-vis.html

My guess was correct; the squall line collapsed but it did so farther inland than usual which allowed some reformation before getting offshore.

Thunderstorm was still developing as it passed overhead. My estimate of winds (20-30mph) at the time was a bit on the low side. Based on two wx stations five miles east of me (at the coast) winds were in the 30-40mph range but the storm had a bit more time to develop before reaching them (excuses, excuses, lol.)

Some rain, some lightning... all in all a so-so thunderstorm. But heck, at least it rained here for once.

Me and Shaggy chased in SW Pitt Co but overall it was maybe slightly above average peak gust on the handheld was 45 mph, there was some 50-70 mph reports 10 miles to our north so we may have just missed the real good stuff :(

No hail and didnt see any real damage anywhere on the ride home leaves and small limbs in a few places but about what you would expect from a 30-45 mph wind event over most of the area.

Had pea sized hail between Wilson and Elm City. Couple of small tree's in the neighbors yard split, actually. Winds weren't too high, so I was rather surprised. Nice storm overall...haven't checked the rain gauge quite yet.

Just a really nice rain outside now. This second MCS moved in around 4:30 with lots of lightning and gentle thunder rolls. Really cool to listen to it just lying in bed. I really enjoy a thunderstorm at this time in the morning. It's a rarity and maybe that's what makes it so appealing. Currently the rain is falling steadily but at a good pace for the ground to be able to soak it in, not an insane rainfall rate that just runs off.

Eh, better luck next time...the storms that were over WV/OH/KY around 3pm really took a pounding and are now nothing but isolated sprinkles. Not making it over the mountains. Fail!

It ended up being a big fail in my neck of the woods, too. Yes, there were some trees down here and there in the Triangle, but it was not as widespread as predicted, even though WRAL is saying it was. From all the talk beforehand, I expected it to be worse and more widespread. Seems like it was more hype again and just very idolated like the rest of the storms this spring and summer.

FInally got power again at home after a 14 or so hour outage. I chased into northern Chatham just off US-64 to try and catch the apex of any bowing. I experienced wind gusts close to 60 mph which shook the car, but most of the wind where I was hit just ahead of the heavier rain. The funny thing is I could have just stayed home as the line expanded north and hit Carrboro hard. The winds were likely slightly stronger than what I experienced with perhaps gusts nearing 70 mph. Such is the luck of a chaser though. None the less I wanted to be in a more photogenic location and my neighborhood is way too wooded for anything like that.

post-139-0-45693100-1343223660_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-18313200-1343223699_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-55364000-1343223715_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-06916500-1343224931_thumb.jpg

FInally got power again at home after a 14 or so hour outage. I chased into northern Chatham just off US-64 to try and catch the apex of any bowing. I experienced wind gusts close to 60 mph which shook the car, but most of the wind where I was hit just ahead of the heavier rain. The funny thing is I could have just stayed home as the line expanded north and hit Carrboro hard. The winds were likely slightly stronger than what I experienced with perhaps gusts nearing 70 mph. Such is the luck of a chaser though. None the less I wanted to be in a more photogenic location and my neighborhood is way too wooded for anything like that.

Very nice photos.

We didn't get anything severe and our peak wind gusts was 45mph on the handheld but the structure was pretty good. While we missed the severe part that was 10 miles to our NW I think we put ourselves in the right place just sometimes things don't workout in your favor.

We didn't get anything severe and our peak wind gusts was 45mph on the handheld but the structure was pretty good. While we missed the severe part that was 10 miles to our NW I think we put ourselves in the right place just sometimes things don't workout in your favor.

Yeah I kind of did the same thing as I left home to chase for the apex of any bowing and the north end blew up right at home. I think they saw gusts close to 70. It was one of those "I went storm chasing to miss the storm at home" scenarios. Although where I was is a more photogenic spot. Nice shelf on your part.

Great shots, guys! I'm much like you --- have to drive away from home to get anything that resembles a horizon. All the acreage around here is surrounded by former pine tree farms, all planted nicely in a row, but all of them 65-80' tall. Our sunrise and sunsets are about an hour later/earlier than what most people around here see. Kinda like being in a mountain valley, but East of Raleigh. That's one of the main things I miss since moving here from Kill Devil Hills... there is no horizon. Having a wife makes up for that, though :)

Keeping it weather related --- I think it's pretty safe for the NWS to drop our 20% isolated for this afternoon/evening, since that kinda requires clouds.

It ended up being a big fail in my neck of the woods, too. Yes, there were some trees down here and there in the Triangle, but it was not as widespread as predicted, even though WRAL is saying it was. From all the talk beforehand, I expected it to be worse and more widespread. Seems like it was more hype again and just very idolated like the rest of the storms this spring and summer.

idolated indeed.... no gifts for Fischel.

LOL the parameters here are ridiculous

Scape 5500

Mcape 4500

Dcape 1400

LI -9

Mid and Low level lapse rates are really good

not effective shear though sooooooo

That Roanoke Rapids storm, viewed at 3:00 from 60 miles south of the updraft, was *very* handsome. I'm a bit surprised only one hail report came out of it (dime size), and that it then went downhill so pitifully.

Archived