Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread IV

NJwinter23

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There also could be something dropping south of us on Thursday Night / Friday AM. It probably won't have much of an effect up your way but it will be interesting to see if 1) it's severe and 2) what it does to anything down the road (remnant boundaries, stability).

One thing I am noticing from the 50,000 foot view for the Thursday - next Tuesday or so time frame is the general appeal of having west and event west-northwest screaming 500mb velocities blowing over top a SW lower tropospheric flow. That's not very intrinsically stable if you get my drift. That's sort of geostrophic turn with altitude is a member of the MCS checklist I believe, and having 101 in Indiana while it is 75 N of Lake Superior seems like a nice recipe for derechio genesis as just about any time ...nocturnally favored.

One thing I am noticing from the 50,000 foot view for the Thursday - next Tuesday or so time frame is the general appeal of having west and event west-northwest screaming 500mb velocities blowing over top a SW lower tropospheric flow. That's not very intrinsically stable if you get my drift. That's sort of geostrophic turn with altitude is a member of the MCS checklist I believe, and having 101 in Indiana while it is 75 N of Lake Superior seems like a nice recipe for derechio genesis as just about any time ...nocturnally favored.

Agreed. No arguments here. Only trouble is: I think if a strong MCS / derecho were to form, it would head south of us. The overall placement of features and track of EML suggest a further south scenario. Each night poses an MCS threat from the Mid West to the Mid Atlantic it seems. Regardless, we still have an interesting scenario Friday Morning but that particular wave doesn't seem like it will be any sort of derecho.

Agreed. No arguments here. Only trouble is: I think if a strong MCS / derecho were to form, it would head south of us. The overall placement of features and track of EML suggest a further south scenario. Each night poses an MCS threat from the Mid West to the Mid Atlantic it seems. Regardless, we still have an interesting scenario Friday Morning but that particular wave doesn't seem like it will be any sort of derecho.

Yeah I think we'll see an MCS in the Mid Atlantic Fri AM but not a derecho. Most of us NJ/SNE/SE NY get a miserable split with PM convection firing in NNE after early AM convection to the south.

Yeah I think we'll see an MCS in the Mid Atlantic Fri AM but not a derecho. Most of us NJ/SNE/SE NY get a miserable split with PM convection firing in NNE after early AM convection to the south.

I do think it is possible the AM stuff does affect the NJ-SNE corridor; I wouldn't rule it out yet. But, we are used to the split scenario for a reason, lol.

Okay I am done equivocating. LOL

Saturday, while not interesting up here, could certainly get interesting well to the Southwest. Late Friday into Saturday looks potentially favorable for a strong MCS / derecho Midwest-Mid Atlantic. The moisture will surge northward again overnight Sat-Sun and possibly set us up on Sunday. Sunday has the look of splitting supercells and a strong line of thunderstorms at this point for our area.

Unsure about the stuff before and after .... but this assessment is exact -

If that happens, looks like I'm in for a busy evening shift. This is just before the NAM initiates convection in far western ME. Still hanging onto a loaded gun at 19z, with model lapse rates above 7 C/km. CAPE here is already pushing 2000 J/kg and that hodograph has some really great turning for New England, especially in the lowest 1 km (a nice indicator for stronger tornado potential). That puts 0-1 km shear somewhere around 25 kts, and 0-3 km helicity north of 225 m2/s2.

Of course all of this is mongering at this point, but the way the ingredients have set up on the 12z runs it is interesting up here.

It looked like leftovers from whatever happens the night before. But, NAM and SREFs still held out a chance of something a little more robust. The 7-10 split fears for SNE are on my mind.

yeah i'm just getting a look at the run now.

well...sometimes an early fropa for 80% of the region bodes well for far eastern areas. who knows. like always, 2 days out with this kind of stuff seems like eternity with so many minor fluctuations making a huge difference in timing/development etc.

overall euro not very interested in getting heat into SNE through mid-week next week....keeps the axis of that heat dome out over the central plains with a general trough/ridge/trough look over the conus...any plume of heat that tries to eject east is shunted into the MA/SE with mainly WNW flow across new england.

sat/sun still warm/hot but those brutal conditions stay well SW of here.

have to think eventually with that look though we'd get hit with a decent MCS coming over the top and SE.

yeah i'm just getting a look at the run now.

well...sometimes an early fropa for 80% of the region bodes well for far eastern areas. who knows. like always, 2 days out with this kind of stuff seems like eternity with so many minor fluctuations making a huge difference in timing/development etc.

Yeah I agree. I used to count on those days..lol.

If that happens, looks like I'm in for a busy evening shift. This is just before the NAM initiates convection in far western ME. Still hanging onto a loaded gun at 19z, with model lapse rates above 7 C/km. CAPE here is already pushing 2000 J/kg and that hodograph has some really great turning for New England, especially in the lowest 1 km (a nice indicator for stronger tornado potential). That puts 0-1 km shear somewhere around 25 kts, and 0-3 km helicity north of 225 m2/s2.

Of course all of this is mongering at this point, but the way the ingredients have set up on the 12z runs it is interesting up here.

:guitar: I would endorse that sounding for a chance at some super cells, That's the severe i don't mind tracking

Archived