amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread IV

NJwinter23

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way regarding this weekend....any s/w could produce some pretty strong tstms, given the environment. I like where we are in terms of being on the srn edge of the westerlies and prone to s/w's coming through the flow.

Sunday could be a big day.

Whdh sending out notifications about funnel clouds on the cape???

yea i don't know...i'm reading that too from a few sources. i'd never say never...hopefully there's a pic to confirm.

but i'm not surprised by the report as there was all this low hanging garbage on the base of these things that looked really threatening but was nothing more than some slow rotating scud.

post-218-0-37399500-1340741081_thumb.jpg

yea i don't know...i'm reading that too from a few sources. i'd never say never...hopefully there's a pic to confirm.

but i'm not surprised by the report as there was all this low hanging garbage on the base of these things that looked really threatening but was nothing more than some slow rotating scud.

it looked like there may have been weak rotation west of HYA.

Conditions are really prime for funnels. Lots of low level horizontal vorticity, combined with all your CAPE in the low levels. Makes it really easy for updrafts to stretch the low level environment into a vertically rotating funnel. And you'll be lucky to see much if any rotation on radar, as it's a ground up process.

that pic i have there is looking at that cell as it was just getting its crap together in the HYA area. the bottom had some very slow turning stuff...

who knows. i'm looking for other pics.

Yeah I mean it was weak and broad and could have been some outflow heading SW. Like OceanSt said, it's one of those days where you won't have a meso..but brief spin ups possible. 2008 over Narragansett bay was like that.

Conditions are really prime for funnels. Lots of low level horizontal vorticity, combined with all your CAPE in the low levels. Makes it really easy for updrafts to stretch the low level environment into a vertically rotating funnel. And you'll be lucky to see much if any rotation on radar, as it's a ground up process.

i've seen a couple of photos that look pretty legit.

Looks like one of your classic "cold-air funnels" (even though I hate that term). They were actually pretty common at DVN when I was working there.

Really? DVN? I wouldn't have thought that area was prone to those types of features. I always think of CA when "cold-air funnels" comes to mind.

Archived