• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread IV

NJwinter23

pretty good last several days really for this area...pathetic but true.

between sat, yesterday and now today.

i love the weak wind field, cold pool set-ups. so much more conducive for MBY.

I had a great view on 395 looking East as those towers grew heading your way. Gusty wind day today, very windexy. Love me some cold ULLS.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a case of a completely justified tornado warning, that would go down in the records as a false alarm, despite a clearly tornadic storm.

And completely forgot that the picture for my avatar is the 2008 Narragansett Bay tornado.

And that storm later put down another tornado I think? It was one of like three waterspout events that year.

Might be a late show,if there is one at all. I'm sure we'll see things flop around back and forth like a little winky to and fro

Yeah, but Friday may be just isolated stuff. Not really feeling it quite yet, even though the parameters are good. But, we'll see if it changes.

Yeah, but Friday may be just isolated stuff. Not really feeling it quite yet, even though the parameters are good. But, we'll see if it changes.

Same here. While the parameters are explosive for sure, this actually is not a classic "EML-New England" setup given the 700mb anomalies. However, the heat is so expansive that it may not matter anyway.

For a time, the setup almost says derecho to me from the Midwest to Mid Atlantic but the flow becomes less anticyclonic with time (ultimately ending the potential).

Same here. While the parameters are explosive for sure, this actually is not a classic "EML-New England" setup given the 700mb anomalies. However, the heat is so expansive that it may not matter anyway.

For a time, the setup almost says derecho to me from the Midwest to Mid Atlantic but the flow becomes less anticyclonic with time (ultimately ending the potential).

Yeah it did have that look, agreed. It's still a decent surface trough moving in...it may even favor SE areas of SNE where convergence is better there. But we'll see as we get closer because if convection does pop..it could be pretty strong.

Yeah it did have that look, agreed. It's still a decent surface trough moving in...it may even favor SE areas of SNE where convergence is better there. But we'll see as we get closer because if convection does pop..it could be pretty strong.

There also could be something dropping south of us on Thursday Night / Friday AM. It probably won't have much of an effect up your way but it will be interesting to see if 1) it's severe and 2) what it does to anything down the road (remnant boundaries, stability).

There also could be something dropping south of us on Thursday Night / Friday AM. It probably won't have much of an effect up your way but it will be interesting to see if 1) it's severe and 2) what it does to anything down the road (remnant boundaries, stability).

the occasional model run, and SPC's day 2 t-storm outlook would imply that a remnant MCS is on our doorstep 12z Friday. I hope we can get something good with the EML in place Friday, but a ton of question marks remain.

the occasional model run, and SPC's day 2 t-storm outlook would imply that a remnant MCS is on our doorstep 12z Friday. I hope we can get something good with the EML in place Friday, but a ton of question marks remain.

This isn't an objective thought but...

I am not liking the trends this morning for severe on Friday (doesn't mean it can't change...plenty of time). The s/w timing for when it crosses the Northeast is late Thursday Night into Friday Midday. The stability parameters are not quite the same as they were Monday AM. If this times poorly, it could also ruin anything later in the day. I still like the Midwest into Mid Atlantic for a possible late day MCS Friday (derecho is questionable). Isolated redevelopment is possible Friday afternoon in New England where instability is more robust.

The timing for Friday really doesn't excite me. Everything that I have looked at suggest that our chances of seeing precip are better in the morning than they are in the afternoon. The SREF barely gives us a chance of precip. The GEFS has a higher probability in the morning than it does in the afternoon. The CMCE doesn't even give us a chance of precip. Yes all of the indicies may be in place, but I'm not excited for anything happening.

I like Sunday better. Which sucks for me because I have Friday off and will probably be working Sunday.

I am still rooting for something exciting to happen though.......

The timing for Friday really doesn't excite me. Everything that I have looked at suggest that our chances of seeing precip are better in the morning than they are in the afternoon. The SREF barely gives us a chance of precip. The GEFS has a higher probability in the morning than it does in the afternoon. The CMCE doesn't even give us a chance of precip. Yes all of the indicies may be in place, but I'm not excited for anything happening.

I like Sunday better. Which sucks for me because I have Friday off and will probably be working Sunday.

I am still rooting for something exciting to happen though.......

I agree with this, especially about the afternoon having little organization in the wake of the earlier disturbance. The CINH is going to be quite strong as this heat advances into the area. Things still have time to improve but the trends haven't been good. As far as Sunday, I am cautiously optimistic but I have already noticed the data trending further north and slower. Perhaps this will be more of a New England threat after all.

I agree with this, especially about the afternoon having little organization in the wake of the earlier disturbance. The CINH is going to be quite strong as this heat advances into the area. Things still have time to improve but the trends haven't been good. As far as Sunday, I am cautiously optimistic but I have already noticed the data trending further north and slower. Perhaps this will be more of a New England threat after all.

"Cautiously Optimistic" is the perfect way to describe New England severe weather isn't it?

"Cautiously Optimistic" is the perfect way to describe New England severe weather isn't it?

LOL ...although...

Maybe a perfect way to describe New England severe potential is "cautiously pessimistic" like we're being for Friday, e.g.

Archived