• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread IV

NJwinter23

Friday still looks like a legit opportunity for the mid-Atlantic and new england. Big time EML still shown on the gfs advecting in, but with that we get a big time cap. Wind fields dont look spectacular to my eyes, but it looks like >30kts 0-6km unidirectional shear on the latest gfs for northern mid-Atlantic and looking at the BDL bufkits.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday still looks like a legit opportunity for the mid-Atlantic and new england. Big time EML still shown on the gfs advecting in, but with that we get a big time cap. Wind fields dont look spectacular to my eyes, but it looks like >30kts 0-6km unidirectional shear on the latest gfs for northern mid-Atlantic and looking at the BDL bufkits.

Yeah wind fields are interesting up this way, especially in NNE. I just hope the MA stuff doesn't steal the show and we get the debris, but the overall Friday setup is kind of interesting. Euro has just enough of a s/w do get things going.

Yeah wind fields are interesting up this way, especially in NNE. I just hope the MA stuff doesn't steal the show and we get the debris, but the overall Friday setup is kind of interesting. Euro has just enough of a s/w do get things going.

Maybe I'll chase on Friday!

I am also worried about the Mid Atlantic potentially stealing the potential Friday. What both the GFS and ECMWF agree on is the potential Sunday has with strong deep layer and directional shear. The ECMWF is slower with the s/w and FROPA which may be an inhibitor for us but man I like the way that looks.

Friday and even Saturday can go anyway at this point.

I am also worried about the Mid Atlantic potentially stealing the potential Friday. What both the GFS and ECMWF agree on is the potential Sunday has with strong deep layer and directional shear. The ECMWF is slower with the s/w and FROPA which may be an inhibitor for us but man I like the way that looks.

Friday and even Saturday can go anyway at this point.

Seems like you feel it's a toss up on Friday whether it's mid-atlantic or northeast. Would definitely appear that way when it comes to those impulses moving west to east from the Midwest. I'd say we are in a good spot climo wise in NJ in this set up, but that is likely cancelled out and then some by our bad luck presence...

Just starting to look a bit closer. 6z GFS has a great EML signal showing up late Friday. Also has 40 knots of 0-6km deep layer shear. Very impressive. While tornadoes would be unlikely due to straight hodographs... it seems like a great supercell setup if we can break the cap.

Steve, We are approaching 12" for the month here, I have the exact numbers on my computer at home, This is getting really old up this way

Wow. I was at 6.95" at 7 this morning, and the heavier rain has stayed to the west of MBY (except for the big area staying to the east.) We've done okay with most of the widespread rains, today notwithstanding, but have successfully eluded anything remotely close to severe (for the past six yr!)

Wow. I was at 6.95" at 7 this morning, and the heavier rain has stayed to the west of MBY (except for the big area staying to the east.) We've done okay with most of the widespread rains, today notwithstanding, but have successfully eluded anything remotely close to severe (for the past six yr!)

I am going to be under that, But we were at 7.41" just the 1st week of June here, Your area seems to get missed more then hit, Its has to the location by nature as it relates to the foothills and mtns plus storm direction it seems

I am going to be under that, But we were at 7.41" just the 1st week of June here, Your area seems to get missed more then hit, Its has to the location by nature as it relates to the foothills and mtns plus storm direction it seems

Though nominally in the foothills, MBY at 390' is really part of the Sandy River lowlands, outside the floodplain but w/o any elev/orographic enhancements. Usually doesn't make much difference in synoptic snowstorms, 2010-11 excepted, but apparently has a big influence on convective severity. Quite a nice spot, nonetheless.

Archived