• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread IV

NJwinter23

Nice job the other day entertaining the derecho idea down near the MA.

Thanks. That was one of the most impressive EML's I've ever seen punch eastward. It was just the overall pattern that supported it to be south and it was a depressing sight for sure.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely. I am a severe weather weenie for sure and a fan of summertime weather. I am sure there will come another opportunity for a derecho in a summer like this one but it may favor areas further and further west as the summer presses on and the anticyclone center shifts west.

This weekend looks a bit more interesting for the northeast/northern Mid-Atlantic as the cold front moves in the from the northwest hitting a very warm airmass. I am concerned that the Canadian trough is too weak to promote good mid-level height falls/shear/lift ahead of the cold front.

As for Wednesday, the 03z SREF looks a bit more meh than the last few runs. Small probs of 30+ kt of shear and the probs of 2000 MLCAPE are kept to the south and west of SNE.

Yeah I saw that too. Might also be a function of that morning deal moving SE from NNE and perhaps clouds screwing things up. As usual, lots of things that can go wrong, but some of the pieces of the puzzle are really nice to look at. You don't see SPC doing day 3 slight risks in SNE often. I think on June 1 2011, they highlighted us 4 days out....potential severe that is.

This has been a rough period for C NJ. We have been either fringed or missed altogether from several MCS that tracked through the Mid Atlantic or yesterday's threat dodged us. I know that I could be considered "lucky to have missed the derecho" etc. etc. but I think I am too much of a severe weather nut to think logically like that haha...

I am hoping to finally see something good this week / weekend but it was really tough watching that beast of a derecho go south...as we suspected it would days in advance... but it still sucks to watch it materialize.

/complaining

:lol: It is so true. and to really rub salt in the wound, the derecho just had to grow a little more northward than expected at the end there to crush south jersey and tantalize our area a little more.

Yeah I saw that too. Might also be a function of that morning deal moving SE from NNE and perhaps clouds screwing things up. As usual, lots of things that can go wrong, but some of the pieces of the puzzle are really nice to look at. You don't see SPC doing day 3 slight risks in SNE often. I think on June 1 2011, they highlighted us 4 days out....potential severe that is.

06z nam would still support a tornado threat in the CT River Valley with MLCAPEs close to 3000 j/kg and 0-2 helicities of 150-250 in the afternoon. But as usual, it may be overzealous with the low to mid-level wind fields.

This has been a rough period for C NJ. We have been either fringed or missed altogether from several MCS that tracked through the Mid Atlantic or yesterday's threat dodged us. I know that I could be considered "lucky to have missed the derecho" etc. etc. but I think I am too much of a severe weather nut to think logically like that haha...

I am hoping to finally see something good this week / weekend but it was really tough watching that beast of a derecho go south...as we suspected it would days in advance... but it still sucks to watch it materialize.

/complaining

I missed it all also in NYC if its any solace

:lol: It is so true. and to really rub salt in the wound, the derecho just had to grow a little more northward than expected at the end there to crush south jersey and tantalize our area a little more.

I am glad to have power and all that and really...what good is a derecho at night? It's still tantalizing though!

I missed it all also in NYC if its any solace

Not really, lol.

This weekend looks a bit more interesting for the northeast/northern Mid-Atlantic as the cold front moves in the from the northwest hitting a very warm airmass. I am concerned that the Canadian trough is too weak to promote good mid-level height falls/shear/lift ahead of the cold front.

As we near this weekend, I am starting to get that sickly feeling that this may not work out quite as classic as I thought last week. I see the +10 h7 temps advect in with the NW flow regime and strong front and s/w. The wind fields just seem so blah at this point. The ECMWF does look decent but not quite a setup for SIG SVR. It's close though...

I am glad to have power and all that and really...what good is a derecho at night? It's still tantalizing though!

Not really, lol.

I missed some huge hail storms yesterday a few miles to my east. Those storms over central and eastern LI were some of the biggest I have seen over that area in years.

As we near this weekend, I am starting to get that sickly feeling that this may not work out quite as classic as I thought last week. I see the +10 h7 temps advect in with the NW flow regime and strong front and s/w. The wind fields just seem so blah at this point. The ECMWF does look decent but not quite a setup for SIG SVR. It's close though...

It's been close but no cigar way too many times this svr season lol. The showers/storms on the EC this weekend actually appear anafrontal.

Archived