• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread IV

NJwinter23

Yeah I mean it was weak and broad and could have been some outflow heading SW. Like OceanSt said, it's one of those days where you won't have a meso..but brief spin ups possible. 2008 over Narragansett bay was like that.

I was on the beach watching that one form, those were similar conditions (big low level CAPE, lots of low level vorticity) but the shear that day was pretty fantastic for New England. I think that was a case of a supercell putting a tornado down on water.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the beach watching that one form, those were similar conditions (big low level CAPE, lots of low level vorticity) but the shear that day was pretty fantastic for New England. I think that was a case of a supercell putting a tornado down on water.

Yeah there were several throughout the summer iirc. One of the guys I work with is from Bristol and he snapped a few good pics.

there's a video somewhere of a legit multi-vortex supercell tornado over long island sound from that summer

I never heard that term before (cold air funnel)

Do they actually produce tornadoes?

They can, if they can make it to the ground. Probably more of your trash barrel tosser, but it is a similar process to landspouts out west that can do EF1 type damage if conditions are right.

Yeah that thing never touched down on land... or maybe did briefly... then went into the Sound and developed into a multi-vortex tornado lol.

There is a case of a completely justified tornado warning, that would go down in the records as a false alarm, despite a clearly tornadic storm.

And completely forgot that the picture for my avatar is the 2008 Narragansett Bay tornado.

There is a case of a completely justified tornado warning, that would go down in the records as a false alarm, despite a clearly tornadic storm.

And completely forgot that the picture for my avatar is the 2008 Narragansett Bay tornado.

Yeah that thing was wild. I always wondered why tornadogenesis occurred after the low level mesocyclone moved off land and over the sound. It occurred just a few hundred yards from the beach.

Yeah that thing was wild. I always wondered why tornadogenesis occurred after the low level mesocyclone moved off land and over the sound. It occurred just a few hundred yards from the beach.

When you consider that only 10% of all supercells produce tornadoes, something as small as frictional forces could be enough to induce rapid tornadogenesis. Even an RFD moving a few mph faster over water might have been enough to spin the low level meso up.

Here is a vid of the 2008 Narr Bay waterspout. Unfortunately there is an ad at the start

Here is a vid of the 2008 Narr Bay waterspout. Unfortunately there is an ad at the start

Interesting, I didn't realize there were two separate instances of water spouts that summer. I was referencing the July 28 storm, that ended up getting rated EF1 based on damage in Bristol and Swansea. This August 14 case looks more like your classic bottom-up water spout, as opposed to the tornadic case I was referencing earlier.

The biggest difference that tipped me off (until I looked at the video information) was the cloud bases (see my avatar picture). July 28 they were super low LCLs, thanks to low 70s dewpoints, and in this video you can clearly see the higher based nature.

Archived