e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 2012 Heat Wave Observations and Disco II

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wiz....that was in Albany 2 hours ago. Now it's clear and blistering. MET about to record a big win today. BOS should hit upper 90s to 100. Heading east shortly to hit the bean at peak heat time.

Gotcha. I haven't looked at the satellite so not sure what was up.

No sooner after I posted that though the sun has come right back out :arrowhead:

Wiz....that was in Albany 2 hours ago. Now it's clear and blistering. MET about to record a big win today. BOS should hit upper 90s to 100. Heading east shortly to hit the bean at peak heat time.

It's hitting like expected.. .Yesterday's cool bust is only augmenting this even harsher. Would have been nice to at least had that 85 to run this up. Some places may record a 30F temperature change, with a 20F DP change underneath. It makes for somewhat higher impact one would think.

Good call

DEWPOINTS...WHILE INITIALLY HIGH...MAY TEND TO DROP

OFF A BIT DURING THE EARLY/MID AFTERNOON HOURS...ESP ACROSS HIGHER

ELEVATIONS...AS DRIER AIR ADVECTS EASTWARD BETWEEN 925-800

MB...AND AS MIXING DEPTH DEEPENS

Mentioned this an hour ago myself... These 70 DPs probably won't register when the temperature exceeds 93...

Good call

DEWPOINTS...WHILE INITIALLY HIGH...MAY TEND TO DROP

OFF A BIT DURING THE EARLY/MID AFTERNOON HOURS...ESP ACROSS HIGHER

ELEVATIONS...AS DRIER AIR ADVECTS EASTWARD BETWEEN 925-800

MB...AND AS MIXING DEPTH DEEPENS

If the flow from 925/800mb was more southwesterly or southerly then I could not only see the dewpoints remain steady but I could actually see them slightly increase as the afternoon goes on as there is a pocket of higher dews at 925/850 just to our south. Unfortunately, our weather here is coming from the west and off to the west is drier air.

It still really shouldn't matter a great deal...dews will still be in the upper 60's. So the HI will be like 103F instead of 105F or 106F.

Everyone loves to talk about BDL as the torch spot with a poorly sited ASOS (which is BS). The underrated torch spot in SNE is really BAF... they frequently are as warm... or warmer... than BDL. They're in a better spot for downsloping and they're just far enough north where they can avoid a 21z sea breeze front.

They're 93 now.

Ultimate mix-out example is that uber hot day early last August.

On that day for FIT it was as follows, check out the dew dropping to 48 by afternoon

8AM-> 88/74

9AM-> 92/74

10AM-> 93/74

11AM-> 96/72

12PM-> 97/69

1PM-> 101/60

2PM-> 101/58

3PM-> 103/50

4PM-> 102/48

Worcester was 91 at noon that day with a high of 96

Queens NY was 103/74 that afternoon … btw, so big heat can happen with big DP at these latitudes ;) it's just rarer to find that.

But you gotta appreciate that DP crash up in SNE. That's west Texian dry-line passage

Everyone loves to talk about BDL as the torch spot with a poorly sited ASOS (which is BS). The underrated torch spot in SNE is really BAF... they frequently are as warm... or warmer... than BDL. They're in a better spot for downsloping and they're just far enough north where they can avoid a 21z sea breeze front.

They're 93 now.

Is Nashua NH a SNE ?

They are commonly putting up the hottest temp within a 100 miles on these kind of days. Logan is going broil if the wind stays 300 though... gee wiz.

This heat/humidity is leading to some awesome Cape values...even with ****ty ML lapse rates.

SBcape values as high as 2000-2500 J/KG

MLcape values as high as 2000-2500 J/KG

MUcape values as high as 2500-3000 J/KG

Ncape values as high as 0.2

LI values as low as -6C

Imagine if we had mid-level lapse rates of like 6.5 C/KM...or even 7 C/KM!@!!!!

This heat/humidity is leading to some awesome Cape values...even with ****ty ML lapse rates.

LI values as low as -6C

With all of it capped up!

Seriously though I'd watch for some convection over the Adirondacks or Quebec later... trajectory would bring it down into New England.

Seriously though I'd watch for some convection over the Adirondacks or Quebec later... trajectory would bring it down into New England.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me. Looks like some minor height falls up north later on and instability axis could help spark a few storms off.

They had convection in Quebec yesterday on the leading edge of those height falls which look to work into northern New England later on and with the same airmass we have so we'll see.

LI values as low as -6C

Do you think that we will see anything in the next few days that could be severe?

I do not see the difference? Are there mass evacuations of the city with no AC planned? I was just in the shade, its 89/75 here at work and its not bad at all in the shade with a 8 mile an hour breeze. i mean we are all going to die this afternoon so........

MY dp and HI just dropped 3* in the last 15 minutes,and temp even tipped down a few tenths. Nice breeze kicking up, pretty comfy here on the shaded deck, can keep the shawl away, I think.

Warm 87.,6/72--hope to see those dews continue to drop.

Ultimate mix-out example is that uber hot day early last August.

8AM-> 88/74

9AM-> 92/74

10AM-> 93/74

11AM-> 96/72

12PM-> 97/69

1PM-> 101/60

2PM-> 101/58

3PM-> 103/50

4PM-> 102/48

But you gotta appreciate that DP crash up in SNE. That's west Texian dry-line passage

impressive, but not quite...

Yeah last time it was this hot I was excited, but now I'd just as soon mix out.

Davis reading 91.9/76.3 smack in the concrete jungle. Ok, I grant you it's probably a little high...

Do you think that we will see anything in the next few days that could be severe?

Unfortunately the setup to break this heat is not very exciting for big severe. There should be some storms on Friday and a few of these will probably be strong/severe but nothing widespread probably. I wouldn't completely rule out Saturday though...Saturday could actually be interesting. For Friday though the best mid/upper level support lag behind the cold front but with the front slowing down it's possible this support could catch up to the front which looks to possibly happen om Saturday...just a matter of how much the front slows down.

Archived