joxey
CFS Long Range (as in Winter)

mitchnick

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old school LWX summary of February 91 and winter 90-91:

www.nws.noaa.gov/os/presto/presto1991/91febtable.pdf

Interestingly enough, even though that was the warmest winter on record (at that time), there was still 8-11" of snow at the 3 big airports.

Maybe zwyts is just quasi-trolling, but I don't think there's reason to be that pessimistic.

Old school LWX summary of February 91 and winter 90-91:

www.nws.noaa.gov/os/presto/presto1991/91febtable.pdf

Interestingly enough, even though that was the warmest winter on record (at that time), there was still 8-11" of snow at the 3 big airports.

Maybe zwyts is just quasi-trolling, but I don't think there's reason to be that pessimistic.

Don't forget he lives in Downtown DC that is like living in South Florida compared to us when it comes to snowfall. We average almost double what he does and it is only like 65 miles from my house.

Don't forget he lives in Downtown DC that is like living in South Florida compared to us when it comes to snowfall. We average almost double what he does and it is only like 65 miles from my house.

Considering this, your annual average snowfall would be around 30", Looks like your in the Georgia zone. Many places in upstate New York average 150+" of snowfall.

• 2 weeks later...

From the New England forum. Thought y'all might be interested.

Absolute snow cover explosion over all of Siberia/Eurasia to end the month. In fact, we may have done even better than 2009 and 2002. 1976 is #1 all time for the largest increase in October snowcover in Siberia/Eurasia. Don't think we catch them...but regardless, we can put a big check mark in the snow cover column for October. Hopefully that helps us out this winter.

if it doesn't work this year, it's never going to it would seem

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/snow/

Yea, no kidding. Oct snowcover did exactly what we wanted it to do.

Ever since the heat broke this summer we seem to have broken the longer term warm pattern. Nothing on guidance suggests we torch anytime soon either. This is worth mentioning at least.

The Nino may be all but caput at this point but I really don't think that is a kiss of death at all. Unless something ugly happens like a resurgence of the SE ridge or the ec winterkilling ak vortex, I don't see any reason to be pessimistic at all.

I don't even think a Dec torch is nearly as likely as many of us thought. If someone made a call right now with dead even temps each month for DJF they could be spot on.

It looks like the blocking piece is falling into place (knock on wood), but will we get the moisture to go with it?

Since we average 12" of total precip from Dec-early Mar I just don't think it's too much to ask that 2" falls as snow. It was too much to ask last year though.. I don't think I had much more than .2" of liquid fall as snow in my yard.

I guess the concept now is that if the Nino is very weak or neutral it will not play a major role and instead the negative NAO will rule the roost. It was nice to see some mega blocking show up on the models with Sandy. The precip maps looked a lot like 2009-2010.

Pretty much... I feel there will still be a weak Nino background signal overall, but the main drivers for this winter IMO will be the -NAO/-AO, and if it can stick around the -WPO, which has been quite negative through this month and is forecast to remain negative through at least the first half of November.

Archived