joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
CFS Long Range (as in Winter)

mitchnick

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides where we live....what's the biggest fly in our winter ointment this year....neutral following nina....pdo...what? I'm feeling a tad optimistic heading into the winter and that's an uneasy feeling..lol

If conditions in the Atlantic were to shift faster then predicted and we were to lose our -NAO signature. The Pacific is only marginal at best so if we were to resume a +NAO our prospects of a snowy winter would probably be toast. There are lots of other moving parts in the equation of course but that would be the one that would really ruin things since the NAO might have the most significant correlation with snowfall for our region and it can be so tricky to predict long term. Plus other signals are weak enough right now that the NAO could dominate the pattern.

If conditions in the Atlantic were to shift faster then predicted and we were to lose our -NAO signature. The Pacific is only marginal at best so if we were to resume a +NAO our prospects of a snowy winter would probably be toast. There are lots of other moving parts in the equation of course but that would be the one that would really ruin things since the NAO might have the most significant correlation with snowfall for our region and it can be so tricky to predict long term. Plus other signals are weak enough right now that the NAO could dominate the pattern.

Most reliable models and forecasters are saying the nao will remain negative for awhile.

I'm just going off the NAO charts on the Raleigh site. I think they only go 10 days.

Ah, I see em. Yeah, I don't know how he calculates those, but I can tell ya that the ensemble means aren't as positive as those graphs would lead you to believe. I've got each individual member's values plotted on my company's site, and both ensemble means stay neutral to slightly negative throughout the run.

Ah, I see em. Yeah, I don't know how he calculates those, but I can tell ya that the ensemble means aren't as positive as those graphs would lead you to believe. I've got each individual member's values plotted on my company's site, and both ensemble means stay neutral to slightly negative throughout the run.

Isn't the NAO a difficult thing to predict? Anyway, here's to an overall negative NAO for the winter.

Besides where we live....what's the biggest fly in our winter ointment this year....neutral following nina....pdo...what? I'm feeling a tad optimistic heading into the winter and that's an uneasy feeling..lol

My biggest worry at this point would be a lack of a meaningful southern stream. I'm worried about a winter that'd offer "all the Miller-As you could ever hope for..."

maybe, maybe not...we can still hope and pray

http://www.cpc.ncep....sPrece3Mon.html

Based on that, it would be a good, juicy southern stream in January, then a dominant northern stream in February. If we get that kind of moisture in January, it could make our winter. I'd take a bangin' few weeks in January and call it a win.

I honestly have no idea what the CFS/CFS2 are for. There are different versions of it (are they like ensembles?), so I don't know which ones to use.

CFS is no longer run, so it's only the CFS2

the one that JI posted uses a different initial condition period than the link I posted

other than that, I don't know why they look so different especially since they are both updated daily

Torch!

We might be in a long term -NAO cycle but as a person with no long range knowledge I've wondered if we're due to go positive for a while just since it's been negative for so long. Given our "luck" winter seems like a good time for that. I know people like to read the tea leaves and think a coastal track this early is good news but I'd be pretty skeptical of that. Our odds of a great winter have to be very low.

We might be in a long term -NAO cycle but as a person with no long range knowledge I've wondered if we're due to go positive for a while just since it's been negative for so long. Given our "luck" winter seems like a good time for that. I know people like to read the tea leaves and think a coastal track this early is good news but I'd be pretty skeptical of that. Our odds of a great winter have to be very low.

I think all we're really asking for is an average winter. A normal one that's full of little cold and warm periods. Some normal amplified periods mixed in with pac zonal.

Anything but a full blown pac zonal +3 from mid dec - end of feb. Over even worse.....-pna w/ se ridge +5.

I wouldn't mind a winter with the important indices swinging up and down. Not parked for 6 weeks only to flip the other way and find a parking spot. It would be nice to be tracking real potential on a weekly basis instead of tracking the desperately needed pattern change that is 15 days away and pushing back with each model run.

We might have a chance at variable winter. No dominant signal yet. Enso looks like a non event. Maybe that's a good thing. Who knows.

Per Adam (and Mark) on twitter... It looks to go positive, hence the torch

Per Adam (and Mark) on twitter... It looks to go positive, hence the torch

It's all but a lock that we are in for a warm period. Couple of weeks maybe with a progressive break in between. We just need to pray the +ao/nao doesn't find a parking spot. We've seen time and time again that once it does it usually takes a while to leave its spot.

Luckily guidance shows the +ao/nao peaking out and then breaking down towards the 24th or so. We can probably add a week to that but that's fine. All eyes on December. God help us.

It's all but a lock that we are in for a warm period. Couple of weeks maybe with a progressive break in between. We just need to pray the +ao/nao doesn't find a parking spot. We've seen time and time again that once it does it usually takes a while to leave its spot.

Luckily guidance shows the +ao/nao peaking out and then breaking down towards the 24th or so. We can probably add a week to that but that's fine. All eyes on December. God help us.

I wouldn't mind a warm December, but I've got my own selfish reasons for that :)

mapgirl, You're on a weather forum, don't you want wild & extreme weather?! Screw a mild December haha.

I hope by Thanksgiving we start to see signs of a -NAO beginning to reform in the LR.

She has a very valid reason for rooting for a warm Dec and if it is warm I will be happy for her. She better be rooting for a new year's blizzard though.

Archived