amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
5/16 WESTERN NE Severe Threat Disco

ChrisM

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the NAM and RAP still seem to want to break out some precip into CT, the RAP brings it all the way down to my area (New Haven). If that actually happens (very doubtful) it would bring convection through the admittedly small and unimpressive 1km EHI bullseye still progged by both models for NW CT. The RAP is clearly overdoing CAPE, though, making me suspicious of its convective predictions. The NAM is much dryer for CT, with the precip barely clipping the northwestern-most part of the state, but still... It means some of the models are still holding out the barest glimmmer of hope for the region. Not gonna fall for it, though. Been burned too many times by overdone progs in Southern New England. I'm sitting this one out.

Latest soundings show an awful lot of dry air in the mid levels of the atmosphere...which isn't a bad thing (when certain conditions are right), however, I think in this case it's really preventing anything from getting going. I know the stronger forcing/dynamics are further north and this is where the storms have been firing but these storms are firing RIGHT along this area...looking at the 500mb vort and the trough placement they are close enough to us to where activity should have been developing across places like PA/southern NY and into western MA/CT. Virtually you need the better forcing/dynamics to be RIGHT on top of you.

How far north are you willing to go? I think were done here in CT, however, if I lived in western or central MA I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Glad you said that... I was feeling a little guilty sitting here weenie'ing out.

We're still at 76/67... The storms to the NW are intensifying and headed in this general direction. I should at least be able to catch something decent on radar here in the next couple hours.

Both the NAM and RAP still seem to want to break out some precip into CT, the RAP brings it all the way down to my area (New Haven). If that actually happens (very doubtful) it would bring convection through the admittedly small and unimpressive 1km EHI bullseye still progged by both models for NW CT. The RAP is clearly overdoing CAPE, though, making me suspicious of its convective predictions. The NAM is much dryer for CT, with the precip barely clipping the northwestern-most part of the state, but still... It means some of the models are still holding out the barest glimmmer of hope for the region. Not gonna fall for it, though. Been burned too many times by overdone progs in Southern New England. I'm sitting this one out.

Geoff Fox?

Archived