CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
5/16 WESTERN NE Severe Threat Disco

ChrisM

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the good news is the timing of any storms appears later in the afternoon which means we have a little longer than usual to get some clearing going. These clouds aren't in any hurry to get out of here though. What sucks though is it appears that the best winds are going to be post-frontal which will preclude a more fun event.

The best low level moisture/dews look to be from Albany eastward. TDs near the cold front are actually only in the upper 40s to near 50. So we have a little bit of a discontinuity here it seems. Looks like there is a weak pre frontal trough near the Hudson valley right now. I noticed meso models fire weak cells over western and central areas after 18z. Maybe they are seeing that feature?

Yeah I think a lot of the elements just are a bit out of phase. That said there will be a zone where some things may come together right on the NY border especially.

The best low level moisture/dews look to be from Albany eastward. TDs near the cold front are actually only in the upper 40s to near 50. So we have a little bit of a discontinuity here it seems. Looks like there is a weak pre frontal trough near the Hudson valley right now. I noticed meso models fire weak cells over western and central areas after 18z. Maybe they are seeing that feature?

It looks like there is a cold front aloft present over central new york, ahead of the surface cold front, based on water vapor imagery showing dry air moving into the area. This is likely associated with the surface trough. I think this feature will initiate storms as destabilization occurs later in the day and the weak cap is removed. The HRRR shows initiation along this feature around 18z. There may some locally enhanced helicity in the Hudson Valley, due terrain forced southerly low level winds that might increase the chance of a supercell.

From ALY

"BASED ON OBSERVATIONS IT APPEARS A PRE-FRONTAL TROUGH IS FORMING OVER CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE STORM PREDICTION CENTER MAINTAINS OUR FORECAST AREA IN SLIGHT RISK WITH AN EXPANSION TO THE WEST ACROSS CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE MID LEVEL LAPSE RATE FROM THE KBUF 12Z SOUNDING ARE A STEEP 7.1 C/KM. EXPECTING POTENTIAL CAPES OF 1500-2000 J/KG WITH DEEP-LAYER SHEAR. THE MAGLENTA INDEX POINTS TOWARDS A MAJOR OUTLOOK...POTENTIAL OF 10+ EVENTS. THE THREAT IS FOR BOTH DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL."

From ALY

"BASED ON OBSERVATIONS IT APPEARS A PRE-FRONTAL TROUGH IS FORMING OVER CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE STORM PREDICTION CENTER MAINTAINS OUR FORECAST AREA IN SLIGHT RISK WITH AN EXPANSION TO THE WEST ACROSS CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE MID LEVEL LAPSE RATE FROM THE KBUF 12Z SOUNDING ARE A STEEP 7.1 C/KM. EXPECTING POTENTIAL CAPES OF 1500-2000 J/KG WITH DEEP-LAYER SHEAR. THE MAGLENTA INDEX POINTS TOWARDS A MAJOR OUTLOOK...POTENTIAL OF 10+ EVENTS. THE THREAT IS FOR BOTH DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL."

Check out the gravity wave clouds up there, ut oh

From ALY

Yeah ALY sees that trough too. You can even notice it on vis.

NYC/Hudson Valley threads are dead, but looks like the best bet is western MA, extreme western CT, but I'm looking at interior SE NYS. Orange County is already going mostly sunny and severe weather parameters are not bad at all...

The RAP develops 250 m2s2 of 0-1 helicity later on too over much of cT.

There will be an area with somewhat backed winds in the BL across western new England. Hodographs show nice curvature in the 0-3km layer.

Of note in far western sections and NY is the inverted v showing up on forecast soundings with rather substantial DCAPE. I think the area around Albany could get a pretty sizable squall line with wind damage.

There will be an area with somewhat backed winds in the BL across western new England. Hodographs show nice curvature in the 0-3km layer.

Of note in far western sections and NY is the inverted v showing up on forecast soundings with rather substantial DCAPE. I think the area around Albany could get a pretty sizable squall line with wind damage.

Yeah Albany area looks nice.

Yeah that area seems pretty awesome for stuff later on. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30% wind contour with 1630z outlook.

NYC/Hudson Valley threads are dead, but looks like the best bet is western MA, extreme western CT, but I'm looking at interior SE NYS. Orange County is already going mostly sunny and severe weather parameters are not bad at all...

No kidding, I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time over there. Bright sunshine here in central Orange County with dews in the mid 60's.

Archived