EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
May 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The boundary generated by differential heating at the edge of the fog may be a focus for storms later. That or the point at which storms dissipate.

You can see it nicely on this image. Looks like extreme SW WI might have a chance storms, if they can remain in the clear.

sat_vis_mw.gif

Was in Quad Cities area on vacation Monday and Tuesday of this week. Weather was cool and had light rain as I traveled south along the Mississippi to St. Charles MO. Interesting to cross the warm front near Quincy where it was bright and sunny and had rapid warming. Missed out on t storms, though, but wasn't really chasing. Looks like the Quad cities are in for some action tonight.

Couldn't agree more. Even the severe threats forecast are pitiful and then usually don't happen.

A decent run-of-the-mill thunderstorm would be welcomed by me. Alas, they've been few and far between. Oh well, can't win 'em all I guess.

What a terribly boring Spring in the LAF so far. To borrow from Alek...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ha! Alek has probably been the only one to experience severe weather at home this spring - yesterday's hail storm over northern Cook county.

I've had 4 thunder showers this spring about. Temperatures have been the main headline this spring.

Isure just missed the heavy rain in Mid Michigan on Thursday and Thursday evening. .59" here at my station while just south of Flint, MI about 45 miles south of me had over 5.50" Very bad flooding down there and I 75 in parts still is closed. I never knew I 75 to be closed for such a long time.

Made it to 79*F before the lake breeze/cold front came crashing through mid-late afternoon, dropping temps into the 60s.

The oak trees now are in full bloom. It's really just the Catalpa trees left now.

And the storms last night were pretty decent. The clouds were very crazy looking with the uneventful shelf cloud and gust front coming through, then the convective-looking clouds sticking around for a 1/2 hour before new storms popped up overhead

It was like a tropical storm, with sheets of rain blowing sideways. We also had a very decent light show with them.

Definitely one of the better non-severe t'storms I've seen.

Archived