joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metro Airport and City Airport overachieved big time today with a high of 85*F. This is in spite of mostly cloudy skies until a few peeks of sun late in the afternoon. What's more impressive is this was after a morning low of 52*F.

In fact, Detroit tied its record high for today, set previously in 1901.

The latent heat release from the MCV certainly did wonders today. In generated a locally higher bubble of heat just to the SW, which advected in during supposed peak heating.

Oh, and it appears the storms everyone was waiting on in this area develop out east towards Buffalo, along the actual Outflow Boundary from earlier. I wasn't expecting anything given the thick cirrus canopy overhead much of the afternoon.

Hopefully, tomorrow isn't a repeat of today in terms of the lack of active weather and cloud cover. If anything, I like the odds for tomorrow given that the warm front has offically passed through now.

Metro Airport and City Airport overachieved big time today with a high of 85*F. This is in spite of mostly cloudy skies until a few peeks of sun late in the afternoon. What's more impressive is this was after a morning low of 52*F.

In fact, Detroit tied its record high for today, set previously in 1901.

The latent heat release from the MCV certainly did wonders today. In generated a locally higher bubble of heat just to the SW, which advected in during supposed peak heating.

Oh, and it appears the storms everyone was waiting on in this area develop out east towards Buffalo, along the actual Outflow Boundary from earlier. I wasn't expecting anything given the thick cirrus canopy overhead much of the afternoon.

Hopefully, tomorrow isn't a repeat of today in terms of the lack of active weather and cloud cover. If anything, I like the odds for tomorrow given that the warm front has offically passed through now.

:thumbsup: That is impressive! Was this the highest temp recorded this year in Detroit?

:thumbsup: That is impressive! Was this the highest temp recorded this year in Detroit?

I've have to verify, but I'm pretty sure that 85*F is the highest, or it at least ties the highest temp recorded.

EDIT: Actually, the highest temp recorded for Detroit thus far was 86*F back on March 22nd. It was close today, but not cigar.

Of course, given what happened today with somewhat cooler temps aloft that's what's expected tomorrow, that 86*F definitely seems breakable tomorrow, depending on how convection evolves tonight. Upper 80s I don't think are out of the question in fact.

It's in the upper 60's-low 70's all the way up to the lake.

Waukegan Harbor is at 59 57° now. Carthage College in Kenosha is at 56°.

66° here.

Friday is going to be a snap back to reality with a NE wind off the lake again!

Took my kids up to Lake Onalaska (its not really a lake, but the Mississippi River pool behind the dam at Dresbach, MN) and watched the storms off to the west ... Tried building a raft to send my kids downstream... :flood: They were all for it... don't worry..the water was only knee deep.

Haha! Is the water really warm enough to wade in!?

Heat burst associated with the weakening MCS, SE of Des Moines...

0811 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 4 ESE PELLA AIRPORT 41.38N 92.87W

05/03/2012 M76.00 MPH MAHASKA IA MESONET

HEAT BURST. MEASURED BY THE PELLA RWIS SITE.

0812 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 3 WNW BUSSEY 41.22N 92.94W

05/03/2012 M60.00 MPH MARION IA TRAINED SPOTTER

HEAT BURST.

Heat burst associated with the weakening MCS, SE of Des Moines...

0811 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 4 ESE PELLA AIRPORT 41.38N 92.87W

05/03/2012 M76.00 MPH MAHASKA IA MESONET

HEAT BURST. MEASURED BY THE PELLA RWIS SITE.

0812 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 3 WNW BUSSEY 41.22N 92.94W

05/03/2012 M60.00 MPH MARION IA TRAINED SPOTTER

HEAT BURST.

Here are the obs in Pella:

7:55 AM: 68/57, RH 68%, wind SW 29 G 43

8:15 AM: 75/48, RH 38%, wind S 31 G 44

Archived