Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
May 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coulda sworn I saw DTW's metar read 90 earlier. Weird.

KYIP had an intra-hour bump to 92*, which is the highest I can find.

Yeah, as Trent said that was rounded from 31.7F. The last thing DTW needs with their UHI issues seemingly getting worse, is any help rounding a temp up.

And Ive noticed over the years, YIP is always suspiciously high for max temps and ARB is suspiciously low for low temps.

Yeah, as Trent said that was rounded from 31.7F. The last thing DTW needs with their UHI issues seemingly getting worse, is any help rounding a temp up.

And Ive noticed over the years, YIP is always suspiciously high for max temps and ARB is suspiciously low for low temps.

How do you figure Metro Airport's UHI effects are getting worse?

Every site in Detroit made it to 89°F (including City Airport and Mt. Clemens), it certainly wasn't unique to Metro Airport. It was likely a combination of full insolation, deep mixing to 750mb and the downsloping from the irish hills.

As for Willow Run and the Ann Arbor airport, Ann Arbor is slightly cooler than most sites because it's on magic mountain, where as Willow Run id not only right in its downsloping wind, but like Metro Airport it has the tarmac to help as well. Of course airports have always been known to be slightly warmer than surrounding, because of all the asphalt and concrete trapping heat and heating more efficiently.

How do you figure Metro Airport's UHI effects are getting worse?

Every site in Detroit made it to 89°F (including City Airport and Mt. Clemens), it certainly wasn't unique to Metro Airport. It was likely a combination of full insolation, deep mixing to 750mb and the downsloping from the irish hills.

As for Willow Run and the Ann Arbor airport, Ann Arbor is slightly cooler than most sites because it's on magic mountain, where as Willow Run id not only right in its downsloping wind, but like Metro Airport it has the tarmac to help as well. Of course airports have always been known to be slightly warmer than surrounding, because of all the asphalt and concrete trapping heat and heating more efficiently.

I wasnt implying that 89F on May 3rd was because of UHI, I merely quipped that with the UHI affect at DTW, I will be damned we should be rounding up metars for DTW. Im talking more generally. I have been following Detroits climate for years, and it was always a rare occasion when DET would be cooler than DTW, and it is now happening all the time. I live right near the water, so my lows (summer and winter) are usually among the milder ones in SE MI, and had usually been milder than DTW....the last year or so Im usually the same or cooler than DTW.

And Im glad you brought up how several sites hit 89F. (though ironically that day, several hours before the high had been reached, DTW had shot up to 87 when all other sites were 85 or cooler). Thats helping my point. Theres nothing wrong with days like that, you see a ton of 88s and 89s. But what about those increasingly numerous days when DTWs high and/or low sticks out like a sore thumb above every other site in the immediate area? Like April 29th, every site in the immediate Detroit area had a low of 26-29, DTW was 30. The nearest wunderground site to DTW, located at 94/275 in Romulus, which is basically AT the airport, got down to 27F on April 30th. Im noticing this on a near daily basis anymore.

I wasnt implying that 89F on May 3rd was because of UHI, I merely quipped that with the UHI affect at DTW, I will be damned we should be rounding up metars for DTW.

I really don't think you need to worry about rounding METARS. In the US, temps are taking in F, but to conform to a universal standard, they are converted to C, that's why US METARS have the actual temp listed later. Some int'l outside software mapping packages and apps, will occasionally use the C value and do the conversion themselves, not using the actual conversion on the METAR, which can cause it to round up or down a degree. But you don't need to worry about rounding errors for official measurements.

I thought the Greencastle Indiana ob was crazy before but it's really getting out of control. Now showing 93/72. :lol:

Wow. It has taken over as the Indiana hotspot from LAF. Someone needs to put that equipment out of it's misery.

65 degrees at 10 PM with the "supermoon" shining brightly over Northern Indiana. A great night for a walk.

Wish I could see it here! Nothing but fog and mist up this way. Nice night to be by a fire! 49°.

Euro looks cool the next week...which after days and days of rain and clouds, i'll take...at least we'll have a chance at some drying out and some sunshine.

I think most of us will be able to pull off close to normal highs during this period. It's those pesky over night lows that will chill your bones real good.

overnight lows look to be plenty above normal around here with all the **** clouds around.

Looks like upper 40s for the most part. The lower daytime highs near the lake will even things out! Can't see it getting very warm today with rounds of t-storms and a east wind.

What's kind of funny is that March will likely single handedly make this the hottest spring on record for most folks. Just looking at DTW, this month can still be 0.7 degrees below normal, and the 3 month spring average will tie the previous warmest spring on record.

What's kind of funny is that March will likely single handedly make this the hottest spring on record for most folks. Just looking at DTW, this month can still be 0.7 degrees below normal, and the 3 month spring average will tie the previous warmest spring on record.

Same thing essentially happened with 2011 in Detroit.

August and June's averages weren't no more than 2*F above normal.

Archived