Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds have just turned onshore and have dropped down into the mid 60's. I am assuming the outflow from those thunderstorms from earlier has something to do with this.

Someone else mentioned on the other thread that winds were turning onshore. Yes, cool it down - feels like July right now.

Hit 85° about an hour ago!

Someone else mentioned on the other thread that winds were turning onshore. Yes, cool it down - feels like July right now.

Hit 85° about an hour ago!

Nothing better than a lake breeze kicking in on a hot humid day!!

39 degrees warmer today than last yrs high of 44.

Enjoyed the in-and-out warmup as there's only been 3 days above 70 and 8 days above 60 since march 23rd. Not a drop of rain here at the armpit of severe wx.. No heat or cold in sight..hoping for more 60's than 50's.

Getting a good vibe this summer will be more 2009 like than the past two summers :wub:

39 degrees warmer today than last yrs high of 44.

Enjoyed the in-and-out warmup as there's only been 3 days above 70 and 8 days above 60 since march 23rd. Not a drop of rain here at the armpit of severe wx.. No heat or cold in sight..hoping for more 60's than 50's.

Getting a good vibe this summer will be more 2009 like than the past two summers :wub:

I was thinkIng that if we somehow manage a slightly cooler than normal summer that 2003 is closer match. I just don't see an inactive period like 2009 around the lakes this year nor as cool. I think I had 2 thunderstorm days in all of summer 2009. Just don't see it.

I was thinkIng that if we somehow manage a slightly cooler than normal summer that 2003 is closer match. I just don't see an inactive period like 2009 around the lakes this year nor as cool. I think I had 2 thunderstorm days in all of summer 2009. Just don't see it.

2003 was a very dry summer here

Only 2009 July was dry here.. seemed it rained every weekend in june/august. I didn't say it would be as cool as 2009 just more like it than the past 2 summers.

Only 2009 July was dry here.. seemed it rained every weekend in june/august. I didn't say it would be as cool as 2009 just more like it than the past 2 summers.

A lot of remnants if I recall correctly that August. Behind Snowstorms, tropical remnants are my favs! Looking forward to some this summer.

It will be unreal if the lakes region pulls a 3rd above normal summer. Wondering if we can't just have a run of the mill normal summer. Too much to ask for I guess.

DTWs high was 89F, which broke the record of 88F. Earliest 90F on record was 90F on May 5, 1895. Earliest 89F, however, was April 12, 1977. To me whats most amazing is that there are parts of SE MI that were near 20F Sunday morning and near 90F Thursday afternoon ohmy.png

Coulda sworn I saw DTW's metar read 90 earlier. Weird.

KYIP had an intra-hour bump to 92*, which is the highest I can find.

A lot of remnants if I recall correctly that August. Behind Snowstorms, tropical remnants are my favs! Looking forward to some this summer.

I think it was more cut-off lows than tropical remnants. That is why 2009 sucked so bad. Wasn't the temps it was the consistant strati rain every single weekend. It really put the skids on outdoor activities for so many people. Everyone from boaters to golfers were very pissed!

I think it was more cut-off lows than tropical remnants. That is why 2009 sucked so bad. Wasn't the temps it was the consistant strati rain every single weekend. It really put the skids on outdoor activities for so many people. Everyone from boaters to golfers were very pissed!

Yeah your right.. Late Summer/Fall of 08 was the year of remnants..

Coulda sworn I saw DTW's metar read 90 earlier. Weird.

KYIP had an intra-hour bump to 92*, which is the highest I can find.

The METARs can be deceptive:

KDTW 032053Z 22024G30KT 10SM FEW060 BKN250 32/16 A2989 RMK AO2 PK WND 21031/1956 SLP116 T03170156 57018

The temp shows up as 32, which is rounded to 90F. But the actual temp was 31.7C which is 89. I know some METAR decoders don't use the actual temp, but rounded celsius temp so it would show DTW at 90.

Temperature dropped 11 degrees in 14 minutes when the OFB moved through here earlier.

The METARs can be deceptive:

KDTW 032053Z 22024G30KT 10SM FEW060 BKN250 32/16 A2989 RMK AO2 PK WND 21031/1956 SLP116 T03170156 57018

The temp shows up as 32, which is rounded to 90F. But the actual temp was 31.7C which is 89. I know some METAR decoders don't use the actual temp, but rounded celsius temp so it would show DTW at 90.

Ahhh, got it. Thanks.

September is usually a good month to see tropical remnants make that wide turn out of the Gulf and head for the Lakes. September of 2008 we had the remnants of Gustav, Lowell, and Ike. 8.81" of rain IMBY, 90% of which was from those tropical systems!

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

0133 AM EDT FRI MAY 04 2012

...RECORD MAXIMUM MIN TEMPERATURE TIED AT FORT WAYNE...

IN ADDITION TO THE TIED RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 87 FOR MAY

3RD...THE LOW TEMPERATURE AT FORT WAYNE WAS 63 DEGREES...TYING THE

PREVIOUS RECORD LAST SET IN 1938.

RECORD EVENT REPORT...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

130 AM EDT THU MAY 04 2012

...RECORD MAXIMUM MIN TEMPERATURE TIED AT SOUTH BEND...

THE LOW TEMPERATURE AT SOUTH BEND FOR THE 3RD OF MAY WAS 65 DEGREES.

THIS TIES THE PREVIOUS RECORD LAST SET IN 1959.

Archived