• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Forest Fire Thread- SNE-Updated for summer drought/torch

Damage In Tolland

Fires are running rampant across SNe the last few days and as RH goes down and winds kick up...we should see this continue over the next few weeks..many brush fires popping up, red flag warnings..Sunday rain event looks like a miss.. we really need rain or whole forests will start going up. Let's use this thread to discuss fires and report on them

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the thread Kevin, as a FF I am keeping a close eye on the weather. Am puzzeled that eastern CT has been relatively quiet even though its been awhile since we had any precip, yet areas that just lost snow cover in the past two weeks are having the problems ? Happy I havent had to carry a indian pack through the woods thus far!

Not trying to hijack the thread northward, but NNE may be in even worse shape. Snow cover is gone except for underneath evergreens in the far north and mts, and we've had dews 30s to near 40 during the heatwave with 40F+ diurnal ranges. The soil is still wet but the leaf litter is cornflakes dry, and today we have a moderate breeze after a week of light zephyrs.

Not trying to hijack the thread northward, but NNE may be in even worse shape. Snow cover is gone except for underneath evergreens in the far north and mts, and we've had dews 30s to near 40 during the heatwave with 40F+ diurnal ranges. The soil is still wet but the leaf litter is cornflakes dry, and today we have a moderate breeze after a week of light zephyrs.

Much worse. Not even close. especially higher elevations that didn't have early morning fog and have their snow melted (around 1500'). My room mate is a FF and every dept. up here is on high alert.

Dry, mud season is done (for now) and winds gusting to 30kts now.

Are you southern New englanders seeing leaf out yet. whats reall really weird is that we have red flag conditions today <20% humidity plenbty of dry feuls like we might see in typical april, but now the recent heat has boosted "leafout" here on the southern facing slopes. Many Maples unfurling leaves.. With colder weather dampening down accelerated "springing" around the corner into next week its quite amazing to see early leafout so quick. Anybody else.

The early warmth might not make the spring fire season any longer (the lack of rain certainly would), but it's several weeks to a month ahead of schedule. Dews down around 10 in Maine and N.NH, all but the mts are red-flagged within GYX CWA. Fortunately, the wind goes away for a while after today, but Tues-Wed look like a return to breezes and low RH, albeit 15-20F cooler than today.

My biggest fear is this mild Nw flow continues for weeks and this turns into the worst fire season in Sne history

Is it just me or do you make every event or series of events seem like they could be the worst in history?

Snow storms, heatwaves, dry spells, hurricanes, severe storms etc.

It'll be a bad stretch for fire wx but it'll be tamed with precip late week, cloudy/drizzly wx with the upcoming blocky pattern, and leaf out thereafter into mid to late april.

PS-I just took a poop, will it be the biggest one in history? Could be!

Is it just me or do you make every event or series of events seem like they could be the worst in history?

Snow storms, heatwaves, dry spells, hurricanes, severe storms etc.

It'll be a bad stretch for fire wx but it'll be tamed with precip late week, cloudy/drizzly wx with the upcoming blocky pattern, and leaf out thereafter into mid to late april.

PS-I just took a poop, will it be the biggest one in history? Could be!

Is it just me or have you become a know it all type of poster over the last 6 months?

Is it just me or have you become a know it all type of poster over the last 6 months?

I'm learning a lot and everything I say is meteorologically accurate and I chime in when its something that I know about or want to learn about. Just because you've been on these threads for years doesn't give you the right have opinions over everyone. Sorry. You express your exaggerated opinions and I express the knowledge that I learn as well as my opinions of which I think are accurate ...to each their own. No hard feelings.

Best leaf out is near Will, much less here at home. Lowell to Will looks weeks ahead of everyone else, weird..

You prob took 290 to 395 right? I'm NW of that a bit and higher up and there is little here...but I've noticed down around lake quinsig a lot of stuff budding out and when I drive up 495 to Megan's area.

Fire around here is meh. Then again 15 years in southern California gives one an entirely different perspective. Driving on an LA freeway at night seeing flames ring the nearby hills coming in towards the city does change one's ideas. And that scenario happens at least once most years.

Archived