Newest Member
    joxey
Forest Fire Thread- SNE-Updated for summer drought/torch

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where the disconnect is...but I am 100% serious with this thread

You don't live in SoCal. Wildfires are not going to destroy any homes. The worst thing will probably be a scorched median along an anonymous stretch of interstate. When is the last time you saw homes destroyed by raging forest fires in SNE? Silly silly.

You don't live in SoCal. Wildfires are not going to destroy any homes. The worst thing will probably be a scorched median along an anonymous stretch of interstate. When is the last time you saw homes destroyed by raging forest fires in SNE? Silly silly.

don't know the fire history for SNE - but down here there's actually been some bad ones. strange to think but true.

There was a fire a few years back in cornwall iirc that burned a few hundred acres and got pretty close to homes, could have been bad but luckily that area is very sparsely populated

4 years ago in Auburn Ma, and fire last week in Doulas Ma got pretty closeto some homes,so it can happen. :rolleyes:

don't know the fire history for SNE - but down here there's actually been some bad ones. strange to think but true.

There was a fire a few years back in cornwall iirc that burned a few hundred acres and got pretty close to homes, could have been bad but luckily that area is very sparsely populated

4 years ago in Auburn Ma, and fire last week in Doulas Ma got pretty closeto some homes,so it can happen. :rolleyes:

Brush fires are not forest fires. 0 loss of life, minimal property damage. The only fire forest fire I can remember was in Westfield a few years ago. Burned some tress and unfortunately the fire chief died on scene of a heart attack. This is a nominal threat and Blizz is an alarmist. Forky remains dorky.

If you've ever seen a forest fire from relatively close distance..it's pretty hard to describe. That pic I posted was from Yosemite last year when I was there. That virtually railroaded our trip to Yosemite. I have other pics that show CBs forming from the fire updrafts.

If you've ever seen a forest fire from relatively close distance..it's pretty hard to describe. That pic I posted was from Yosemite last year when I was there. That virtually railroaded our trip to Yosemite. I have other pics that show CBs forming from the fire updrafts.

From my experience,I have had 4-8ft fire lines chase me and others from the woods and have seen 80 to 100ft trees fully involved; is it like the wildfires out west NO, but is still dangerous and CAN threaten life and property.

From my experience,I have had 4-8ft fire lines chase me and others from the woods and have seen 80 to 100ft trees fully involved; is it like the wildfires out west NO, but is still dangerous and CAN threaten life and property.

When I was in college taking a forestry class we went to Acadia park in Hope Valley RI and found evidence of the 1942 wildfire which raced thru a 10 mile area in 30 mins. It has happened before. Nothing more impressive than seeing a cedar tree explode. Very dry period, some greening has helped a lot. Can remember a bad brush season in 87 or so where we were called out 17 times in one weekend, most of those were arson. Had a great fire class on wildfires, broken glass in the sun sets off wildfires pretty regularly. Stay safe bro, watch those wind changes on the perimeter!

In 1942 a forest fire in RI burned 25,000 acres, major forest fires enveloped the three NE states in 1947.

yeah i know out here that from ~1900 or so thru the mid 1960s there were a bunch of big ones. not little 5-acre brush fires either. there were some big ones in MMR (it's >20,000 acres so there's some real estate in there) that were large enough to cross RT 6 and keep moving northward

i didn't see the post earlier. i said that based strictly on the live video feed from springfield... toward the end of the feed, there was less debris and it looked narrower. i didn't say it was going to continue to weaken

Yeah, yeah, whatever dude. Total burn. Don't come in here and be such a dink. Be somewhat human and people won't revel in your defeats.

Archived