northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low viz. sticking everywhere. Cold. I like this better than 1/20.

I'll go for accum usually.. It was a solid snow for what we were expecting. I guess this is more classic storybook winter with whipping cold etc. Main roads were wet but side roads went white.. No real rain, that part busted.

So just drove back from some friends of ours in Northern Charles County. We are in Glen Burnie so we basically did a complete run of Anne Arundel County from south to north. There was nothing much to see for snow till we drove to about 10 miles south of Annapolis. We started to note the blowing snow and flurries; it got progressively worse the closer we went to Annapolis. Route 2 within about 4 or 5 miles of Annapolis was nasty. No treatment on the roads and snow was blowing or sticking everywhere. I was slipping and sliding a couple of times. At one point the tracks on the southbound side looked about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, but it was a quick glance and I could be totally off the mark. Once we got onto I-97 north bound accumulation and snow began to slacken off, till just past the I-97 and MD-32 split it was all gone. At home you couldn't even tell that anything had fallen.

I have 3" drifts. This has to be 1/2" no?

i dunno.. it's really powdery so it's going to pile up in spots. no one is going to have accurate measurements probably.. and now that lwx said 1" i suspect we'll see that reported a bit. ;) ill go out again in a bit.

i dunno.. it's really powdery so it's going to pile up in spots. no one is going to have accurate measurements probably.. and now that lwx said 1" i suspect we'll see that reported a bit. ;) ill go out again in a bit.

1" ;)

I don't have that... but its nice to see... prob about another 30-45 mins for me

1" ;)

I don't have that... but its nice to see... prob about another 30-45 mins for me

it's remarkably inexact in good conditions.. sustained 30 mph winds are even better. .5" might end up a good total here looking at radar though when i was out i was hard pressed to find any sheltered areas even near 1/4" and that was not that long ago. it performed more than i figured it would.. oh well.

it's remarkably inexact in good conditions.. sustained 30 mph winds are even better. .5" might end up a good total here looking at radar though when i was out i was hard pressed to find any sheltered areas even near 1/4" and that was not that long ago. it performed more than i figured it would.. oh well.

Yeah. To see snow not melt on contact is a win. Throw in 30-40 mph gusts and temps in the low 20's, recipe for a good winter night. HRRR is now my CRASS (from 2 years ago)

Yeah. To see snow not melt on contact is a win. Throw in 30-40 mph gusts and temps in the low 20's, recipe for a good winter night. HRRR is now my CRASS (from 2 years ago)

well not that it matters but other models showed it too of course. like the squall line.. everyone was seemingly excited the hrrr showed it but the nam had it for quite a while.

In these kind of events over the years the HRRR seems to do very well.

maybe.. i think people also have selective memories. i doubt it's much or any better than the nam. hi res and rapid update models tend to go way wrong at times too. i think most models had this part for at least 24 hours now. light events often underperform.

well not that it matters but other models showed it too of course. like the squall line.. everyone was seemingly excited the hrrr showed it but the nam had it for quite a while.

True. But I guess the detail of the HRRR got us jazzed. Was pretty good with this event. Either way, splitting hairs on a non event is what we are resigned to do this winter. My snow is over. I would say between .25 and .5. Gets me over the 3 inchs for the season. Midget h@rd on

Archived