• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

Just back from Deep Creek/Wisp. The snow started when we got there around 4pm on Friday and it was still snowing when we left there this morning. Hard to say how much they got total with all the blowing/drifting, but I'd say 12" is a safe bet. The powder was great at Wisp but the wind & almost white-out conditions at times was nasty. At times yesterday when a heavier band came, we couldn't even see the next chairlift at the summit.

Very happy the snow fell when we happened to be there since it doesn't look like we'll see anything like that here.

Appears you picked the right weekend. Good to read of your winter fun. Always amazed at the difference a few thousand feet can make.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20120210-11_MAsnow_comparison.png

The three-part storm that I was expecting to be a two-parter. First, the snow in central MD over-performed Friday night as temperatures were just cool enough to allow snow to accumulate more quickly. The second part, the squall line, went as expected as accumulations of a dusting to a quarter inch (possibly a half inch in a few spots) were reported from that.

The third part that was enhanced by the inverted trough is what really got me. That produced 1-2 inches of snow over a good portion of the Delmarva Peninsula and in extreme eastern VA.

Another major failure in the forecast came in eastern PA and NJ as the coastal low and associated precipitation did not come as close to the coast as I had anticipated. Instead, it took a track similar to what the GFS showed and limited most of eastern PA and NJ to under an inch of snow during the first part of the storm. I also missed some of the higher lake-effect totals in northeast OH and northwest PA.

Weighing in the fact that I missed big in some areas, did fairly well in the mountains and the difficulty of the forecast, this was a D+.

Berk got an A and your forecast was probably better locally at least

Berk always gets an A :P He is always perfect because that's what his followers say.

D+ seems a little harsh.

Yup

It was just too wrong in too many areas for me to give it much higher. To be fair, no one who forecasted this event deserves more than a C/C-.

I don't disagree with that, but I think if your lower end was "T to 2" like many others, you'd have done better. Forecasting that one inch line is pretty hard.

That's a copout. There's a huge difference between traveling in 2" of snow and traveling in a dusting. To put both impacts in the same category is cheap.

That's a copout. There's a huge difference between traveling in 2" of snow and traveling in a dusting. To put both impacts in the same category is cheap.

Yeah, I don't disagree. But the difference between an inch in marginal events like this year, and under an inch is really impossible. That said, yes, T to 2 inches is too much of a range.

Archived