mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't do 0.1 though. So it's either T or 0.25". I think between this mornings semi- cartop per and the squall and this I've got some measurable.

I'd say .1 is closer for now but its solidly wintry and may push it

I'd say .1 is closer for now but its solidly wintry and may push it

Its hard to quantify. The squall brought a "coating" because of the warmth of the BL and size of flake laying on grass and warm car tops. The current situation has the snow falling between the grass blades and blowing off the flat hard surfaces. I'd go with .25. No more though, for now. Getting it pretty good here in eastern PWC. I'm torn. Does a solid "coating" then a dusting equal .25? What the hell am I talking about. Back to my beer and cig outside.

So far, would say this is the second best snow this winter in Northwest DC. Only a dusting, but only had two other accumulations. The one in mid January - don't remember what night but think it was some Saturday - was more because the city actually had to use a plow to scrap about an inch off the streets. The only other accumulating snow in the city was like a car-topping in early Jan. on that surprise afternoon snow one day.

Its hard to quantify. The squall brought a "coating" because of the warmth of the BL and size of flake laying on grass and warm car tops. The current situation has the snow falling between the grass blades and blowing off the flat hard surfaces. I'd go with .25. No more though, for now. Getting it pretty good here in eastern PWC. I'm torn. Does a solid "coating" then a dusting equal .25? What the hell am I talking about. Back to my beer and cig outside.

it's a very fine snow, kinda neat. i think it's somewhat deceptive since it so easily sticks to the roads and drifts etc. there are a lot of little wind-blocked areas in my complex and they mainly were very light coatings less than 1/4" -- would say looking at radar and just been outside we'll get there either way, not to mention whatever it was we had this morning.

here's a shorty vid.. my dog started barking at bar goers so i did not get far toward the light and the quality sucks. ;)

What the heck is going on? I am busy playin battle pirates and the next thing I know - I look outside and snow is blowin all over the place!!!! 21 degrees with north winds to 36 mph and low visibilities!!! Wind chills to ZERO!!!! Where did this come from?

There you are - I have been on a Jebwalk and everything in your honor!

What's going on with radar just west of La Plata in southern Md. That little area has been under 25 dBZ for a few hours, and its stationary just there? I know its not likely, but almost seems like is being magnified by wind off that wide section of the Potomac River

weird...I am at 22 with a windchill of 7, with my highest gust at 33. it's amazing how you are always at the extreme end of every single event. you must be in an extremely favorable spot.

NWS for you is 27 with a windchill of 10 last hour.

Trix, I'm within 4 miles or less of Jeb on the Wdbridge/Manassas border and my current temp is 19.9. It may be off by a few degrees, but I assure you it is not 27. Mod snow now.

What's going on with radar just west of La Plata in southern Md. That little area has been under 25 dBZ for a few hours, and its stationary just there? I know its not likely, but almost seems like is being magnified by wind off that wide section of the Potomac River

The only time I have ever seen any sort of body of water enhancement around here was in the early 90s when the wind went NNW just right and a streamer from the Ches bay hit Va Beach. Even then is was just a narrow strip of flurries

Didn't see this posted........

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1104 PM EST SAT FEB 11 2012

DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ027>031-038>040-042-

050>057-501-502-WVZ050>053-055-120800-

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-

NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-

PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-SHENANDOAH-

FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-

LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-

FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-

BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...

WESTMINSTER...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...

WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...WINCHESTER...FRONT ROYAL...LEESBURG...

CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...

FALLS CHURCH...FREDERICKSBURG...WARRENTON...MARTINSBURG...

CHARLES TOWN...MOOREFIELD

1104 PM EST SAT FEB 11 2012

...ONE LAST ROUND OF SNOW SHOWERS TONIGHT...

AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL BE PIVOTING THROUGH THE BALTIMORE

WASHINGTON AREA OVERNIGHT...PROVIDING SNOW TO THE REGION. THE SNOW

WILL BE ENDING ACROSS NORTHERN MARYLAND BY MIDNIGHT...AFFECTING

METRO WASHINGTON AND THE NORTHERN SHENANDOAH VALLEY THROUGH 1AM...

AND REACHING SOUTHERN MARYLAND AND THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT OF VIRGINIA

BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 2 AM.

LOOK FOR A QUICK INCH OF SNOW WITH THIS DISTURBANCE. ROADS MAY BE

SNOW COVERED AND SLICK IF LEFT UNTREATED. MOTORISTS SHOULD

EXERCISE CAUTION ON THE ROADS TONIGHT.

Archived