Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

In a lot of instances, yes, But not always

If the euro ens mean last night matched the op or was even west of the op..then I'd say game on..but if they were east of the op and then the Ukie goes east..then we're just looking at a light 2-4 inch event. I'm torn right now. There seems like a little room for it to come west.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the euro ens mean last night matched the op or was even west of the op..then I'd say game on..but if they were east of the op and then the Ukie goes east..then we're just looking at a light 2-4 inch event. I'm torn right now. There seems like a little room for it to come west.

Well it's your fault if you are disappointed. Expectations should not be high right now.

Wow. an actually post from you not calling for feet for everyone. I'm impressed.

There is room, But its only so far, As long as we get a phase further south, Just that fact we would have a stronger low as it has trended that way by 4 mb will tug it west, The trough appears to be getting sharper as well which will help as well, Its going to come down to the timing of the phase

It really is amazing the ups and downs that go on as a different model rolls in. The NAM comes in with a little snow bomb and everyone is up and talking about how this event will work. Then the GFS comes in and everyone talks about how the GFS is good, but we talk about how it is struggling with multiple centers. Then the UKIE comes in and everyone talks about how they are afraid that it might be right and how the storm might slide out to the east. If this forum were a roller coaster, it would be the most popular ride in the park.

what would need to happen to get the PV to back sw a bit?

Well I don't think it's necessarily about the PV, but moreso the lobe of vorticity coming down from Canada. As long as we have enough ridging out west, it will help provide more meridional flow moving into the Plains. That in turn will help the energy dig. The strength of the energy is also important as it dives south.

It really is amazing the ups and downs that go on as a different model rolls in. The NAM comes in with a little snow bomb and everyone is up and talking about how this event will work. Then the GFS comes in and everyone talks about how the GFS is good, but we talk about how it is struggling with multiple centers. Then the UKIE comes in and everyone talks about how they are afraid that it might be right and how the storm might slide out to the east. If this forum were a roller coaster, it would be the most popular ride in the park.

Welcome to the world of a meteorologist. We are talking weather and the different outcomes here.

it really focuses on the southern / offshore low

NAM I believe is suffering some type of feedback/wave interference issue. It's not dramatically different than the other models but comes up with a pretty intense solution while looking totally odd at the surface at 48.

GFS/UK/RGEM do not support the NW position of the low, I think it's an error. Not saying we won't see a compromise later on, but I think the Euro will fall heavily towards the rest of the suite.

If I had to put out a forecast I'd totally ignore the NAM at this moment, doesn't mean it can't change in the coming 2 days, but right now it has no support and this is something it does sometimes (aside of the winter of blizzards where it did this from time to time and was right).

Right now everyonne should be expecting 2-4..with an upside of 3-6..anything less than 2-4 seems almost impossible at this point ..again depending on if the Euro comes west or goes East

Again I agree. 2-4" seems like a good bet in most of central and eastern SNE. More if it comes west, which doesn't seem likely right now

That looks better than the op run. Would be a wild six hours for the Cape.

yeah even on the op it would be a nasty afternoon/evening.

we'll see.

i'm not a fan of seeing the ukmet blow up that offshore low given how every piece of guidance does try and develop it to some extent. looked like the ec ens had a little kink to the east too....hopefully the GFS is on the right path here though.

NAM I believe is suffering some type of feedback/wave interference issue. It's not dramatically different than the other models but comes up with a pretty intense solution while looking totally odd at the surface at 48.

GFS/UK/RGEM do not support the NW position of the low, I think it's an error. Not saying we won't see a compromise later on, but I think the Euro will fall heavily towards the rest of the suite.

If I had to put out a forecast I'd totally ignore the NAM at this moment, doesn't mean it can't change in the coming 2 days, but right now it has no support and this is something it does sometimes (aside of the winter of blizzards where it did this from time to time and was right).

It usually handles really tight lows best because they're more mesoscale in nature and that is where it trumps globals....the Jan 12 blizzard was a perfect example. Alot of us went ballz-to-wallz with the NAM despite that all globals, including the EURO, were relatively meh.

I agree 2-4 is a good call right now...maybe 3-6" on cc.

Agreed. I'm going to put up a few inches for SE NH, with an option for more.

I would like to see this system close off a little higher up. Otherwise, we're not getting the banding necessary for higher totals

12 hr precip ending 00z sun is like .4" out here.

Yeah that 0.4 line is just NW of the canal I think. So my point is that total qpf should be pretty decent as it should be going pretty good from about 15-18Z and beyond for awhile. I mean by 12Z things are getting going with steady qpf.

Archived