• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

Yeah and it sort of weakens it too as it moves OTS. I think what would happen, is that if we indeed have dualing vorts...it may lead to the low closer to us, producing a more narrow area of heavier QPF closer to the low. IOW, the circulation may not be strong or large enough to throw moisture back. Anyways, just talking out loud here. If the nrn stream stuff does indeed come in better on the euro, it obviously bodes well for the region as a whole.

Me...I'm whispering..

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going to need to see a better cosolidation of this system to get the precip further nw warpped into the storm or we are going to be left with a narrow band on that side with the bulk of the precip staying east, Its a step in the right direction and details still need to be worked out

the euro has the dual vms as well...it's just not as strong with either surface reflection

Right because they interfere with one another in trying to develop a surface reflection. This seems most likely but with a lean towards the nw system. Nam is almost guaranteed over developing the nw system as its crushing the other vort too fast. Jmho

The GFS almost always attempts to jump low pressure out toward the GS or wherever the best pre-existing baroclinic zone is. So we get this dualish low look at 12Z, but it may abandon that and tuck the low further in on subsequent runs.'

Looks great for SNE..maybe we can get a few inches back here yet.

I'm not too worried about the separate vort maxes right now. It should be watched, but lets get the storm to form first. It may be the GFS doing some crap with separate pieces of energy.

We are going to need to see a better cosolidation of this system to get the precip further nw warpped into the storm or we are going to be left with a narrow band on that side with the bulk of the precip staying east, Its a step in the right direction and details still need to be worked out

this

The last four runs of the GFS have shown a tendency to allow more phasing between the shortwave energy located in the over the CO/NM border and the northern stream energy partially associated with the polar vortex. The main problem has been a phase speed error in the shortwave making its way across the southern tier of the United States. Its moving faster than expected, which is allowing the energy associated with this shortwave to be captured by the trough associated with the polar vortex.

This has pretty major implications. If we see much more amplification, the results could be explosive and depending on the downstream ridging, this could be focused closer to the coast.

I say the Euro goes boom ..as Jerry said. :) SNE getting their second major snowstorm of the cold season...thats two more than ENY.... 3rd significant snowstorm for some people in CT who benefited from the January system.

I'd say toss the Ukie..but now I am concerned the Euro shifts east because it usually follows the Ukie

Archived