mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elongated low, maybe feedback? Low se of BM with good precip getting into SNE at hr 54.

Slides the southern vort well east of the benchmark... definitely not a quick phase but sharper trough to the west looks more consolidated which helps drop pressures off the coast.

Not a great solution but better than 6z.

One concern I have is if that southern piece shoots out ahead of the deepening trough and we miss the phase. Storm becomes a scraper.

Yeah exactly. At least you do get some snow though as the northern stream system strengthens and lowers pressure offshore. So not terrible but not great either.

Yeah that's what it is. Can't really decide what piece to like. It's the Cashman of models right now..not knowing what female vort to like.

I think this is going to have a heck of a western wall of precip.

Yeah agreed.

Still gets 0.3" back to BDL. Definitely a big tick NW with precip from 6z.

Would love to see what the Euro does. I have a sneaking suspicion it goes boom.

I'm not too worried about the separate vort maxes right now. It should be watched, but lets get the storm to form first. It may be the GFS doing some crap with separate pieces of energy.

If things are too flat with northern stream you can see how that southern vort will have a tough time rounding the corner for the phase. That said the trend with a sharper/more amplified/west northern stream makes me think we'll see more phase than not.

Yeah exactly. At least you do get some snow though as the northern stream system strengthens and lowers pressure offshore. So not terrible but not great either.

Yeah, I hope people don't confuse my thoughts. I'd hit the GFS solution 9 ways till Sunday. We are under 3 days lead time now and all the pieces of the puzzle are on the table.

If things are too flat with northern stream you can see how that southern vort will have a tough time rounding the corner for the phase. That said the trend with a sharper/more amplified/west northern stream makes me think we'll see more phase than not.

Yeah I'm rooting for the nrn stream to trend sharper overall, because that helps out two fold, as you mentioned. It's funny because a few days ago, we were talking about how models sometimes trend better with energy diving due south from Canada, once it gets sampled. Lo and behold, that's what is occurring.

Weenie me all you want, it looks way better lol

Being weenied is the official welcome to the board so... welcome!

Agreed though - I like the look of this 12z GFS run. It keeps some of the N and S energy separate so I actually think it could be a bit better with a cleaner Northern and Southern stream phase - this is especially apparent to me at hr 54 and 60 with the double barrel low look under distinct 500 mb energy.

Damn it's close on the GFS.

I think if it phases a little earlier with more energy developing in the northern stream pulling it close to the BM we're in store for something really exciting. But like Bob says if that southern piece shoots out to sea early, we're looking at a scraper.

The srn stream stuff will have to be watched, but it also helps kick things off. If the euro contiues to improve, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now..especially if you're just keeping things in perspective.

I'm not too worried about the separate vort maxes right now. It should be watched, but lets get the storm to form first. It may be the GFS doing some crap with separate pieces of energy.

Big IF but the seeming common opinions is that if there is a more clean phase of the northern and southern energies it'll tighten up the thermal gradient and allow better inflow and more snow. And so long as the track is similar to what it shows now there wouldn't be p-type concerns it would more just be an improved amount of moisture being thrown into the system.

FWIW the 12z NAM also kept the energies separate but the northern steam energy was a good deal more potent than the southern stream energy.

the euro has the dual vms as well...it's just not as strong with either surface reflection

Yeah and it sort of weakens it too as it moves OTS. I think what would happen, is that if we indeed have dualing vorts...it may lead to the low closer to us, producing a more narrow area of heavier QPF closer to the low. IOW, the circulation may not be strong or large enough to throw moisture back. Anyways, just talking out loud here. If the nrn stream stuff does indeed come in better on the euro, it obviously bodes well for the region as a whole.

Archived