Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
18z GFS

Ji

Guest someguy

whats ur take DT?

unlike some I dont waver in fromn of withering fire

folks have to know that look there stands the VIRGINIAN like a STONEWALL on Henry House Hill

rally behind him men !!!!

oopps sorry wrong forum

Maybe 7 or 8 for me but it doesn't yet change my thinking. I still think the odds are 20 to 30 percent and the odds against it are higher. If the Euro trends a little more west, I'll get excited.

it's hard to get terribly excited over the 18z GFS but it seems good that the solution is still getting spit out regardless of run time.

it's hard to get terribly excited over the 18z GFS but it seems good that the solution is still getting spit out regardless of run time.

another thing that is nice is that while the storm doesn't really get going until about 120-126, the ingredients are on the table 12-24 hours before so this is quickly going to be moving into the shorter term over the next day or 2 and it'll be nice to see some model consistency

We just need to get the heavier qpf farther north and west and it would be golden.

A slightly earlier phase would do the trick.

What's interesting to note (and thanks to earthlight for personally pointing this out to me), is that the 12z GGEM at 150 hours, and the 18z GFS at 144 hours actually have the surface low in the exact same spot. But, a more defined, clean, and earlier phase on the 18z GFS allows for a better-defined CCB, thus the significant I-95 shows.

I know a lot of the focus in this thread is the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast but this model run verbatim is a nice hit for the Carolina Mountains/Foothills region as well. It prints out about .35-.50 across that region. Of course as previously said the QPF will materialize in time. The track though it great and very similar (for us) to the big storm just one year ago. I will be looking for some model consistancy over the next couple days before I really get excited about it.

Maybe 7 or 8 for me but it doesn't yet change my thinking. I still think the odds are 20 to 30 percent and the odds against it are higher than the odds for it. If the Euro trends a little more west, I'll get excited.

ECMWF ensembles look pretty similar to the OP run...18z GFS ensemble mean actually looks like it went a tick SE from 12z (though really negligible at this time frame). I think the good news is that it seems the model consensus has been a bit too far SE int his time range, so that would bode well for a bit of a NW track, however, it definitely will take a little bit of timing improvement with the phase.

I've posted this before, Joe Bastardi mentioned many times back in the days when his column was still free, probably 1999-2002 or so that often in the medium to long range the 06Z and 18Z GFS runs are better at picking up on the pressure/actual tracks of eventual storm systems on a consistent basis than are the 00Z and 12Z runs...to an extent we did see this last week with the past storm...even though the primarily low remained dominant, the evolution of what occurred in parts of northern NY/New England was picked up on with a few of the off hour runs and then vanished on the 00z and 12z runs...it might be complete junk but I've noticed it before on some storm systems, never inside 3-4 days but in the 4-8 day range.

Archived