EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Feb. 2-4 Potential Winter Storm

snowlover2

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheesh. The models are suddenly beginning to suppress this storm southward. The latest GFS and NAM show no precip at all north of southern Iowa. This is one scenario I had thought was off the table.

:facepalm:

Great news!! Im sitting less than 4" of snow this season.. While getting less precip, looks like a better chance of plowable snows here in Ottumwa area. Its been really hard on us lanscaping guys 1st the summer drought then the snow drought with little snow removal needed.

NAM is showing WAA/Warm front precipitation that could be rain or wet snow. Looks like it is going to be close. Front moves e-w along ohio river it looks like.Could get a few hours of snow.

If the GFS starts to show what NAM, and CMC show I will start to believe it.

post-6037-0-91885300-1328214862.gif

You can tell DVN is all fired up and ready for the storm, lol..

.....THIS MEANS 24 TO 36 HOURS OF DECAYING LIGHT RAIN AND SPRINKLES WITH SOME LIGHT SNOW AND FLURRIES MIXING IN FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY ALONG NORTH OF HIGHWAY 34. LITTLE OR NO PRECIPITATION TO FALL ALONG AND NORTH OF HIGHWAY 30.

Wow, they are really downplaying the chance of anything major. They could end up in the major snow zone easily. They could at least entertain the possibliliy.

What is it that is making this storm die so quickly when it moves east? I would think once it got near the GOM it would get stronger. What gives. lol

Look at H5. The whole flow over the NE US is confluent. Plus a vort dropping in from the northern stream quashes the closed low in the central plains as it moves east.

It would be nice for some areas of the plains to get some moisture things are quite dry out there. Even if this one is a bag of crap for most of us the plains do deserve a little love.

BTW can the non constructive bull**** posts end already, I didn't need to read 5 people saying lol for no reason.

I'm getting a lot of complaints about this thread and this forum in general.    Can we end the "lol" posts and one liners in serious storm discussion threads?  Hate to be the intrusive federal government in a states issue here, so let's keep the convo on topic.  Thanks and enjoy the storm.

You get the complaints but nothing actually gets reported. Funny how that works.

It would be nice for some areas of the plains to get some moisture things are quite dry out there. Even if this one is a bag of crap for most of us the plains do deserve a little love.

BTW can the non constructive bull**** posts end already, I didn't need to read 5 people saying lol for no reason.

The Plains, like everyone, have had a non-winter, even much less than we have had. But in addition to that theyve had drought issues, so yeah let them have some moisture. But whats funny is that this too looks to be a pretty narrow band of snow, so I suspect this storm may disappoint many snowlovers even in that region. With the natural model oscillations of a narrow snowband, someones backyard is gonna be bullseyed 4 days out and they will end up with almost nothing when the storm actually happens (see northern IA).

LOT short term outlook:

SHORT TERM FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

1057 PM CST FRI FEB 3 2012

ILZ008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-040700-

OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-

KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-IROQUOIS-FORD-LAKE IN-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-

BENTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...

WHEATON...CHICAGO...OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...

KANKAKEE...PONTIAC...WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...VALPARAISO...

MOROCCO...RENSSELAER...FOWLER

1057 PM CST FRI FEB 3 2012 /1157 PM EST FRI FEB 3 2012/

.NOW...

LIGHT TO MODERATE RAIN WILL CONTINUE THROUGH 1 AM CST ALONG AND

SOUTH OF THE INTERSTATE 88 CORRIDOR. ALL RAIN WILL GRADUALLY

TRANSITION TO A RAIN AND SNOW MIX CREATING SLICK CONDITIONS ON

AREA ROADWAYS. MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO USE CAUTION AND REMAIN ALERT

FOR CHANGING ROAD CONDITIONS.

Archived