• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21st Snowstorm Obs

Baroclinic Zone

Thanks, Chris. I guess even crappy flakes are better than none. That said, I guess my angst about missing a decent storm may have been unwarranted.

Fantastic geography--the mountains right from the ocean are awesome. Some of the bathing suits are pretty fantastic as well. But I suppose that's for another forum.

Without pics another forum, with pics perfect forum.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...this. The snow growth region everyone mentions is basically just the max dendritic one of -12C to -18C. Like you said, you want strong omega in that zone with higher supersaturations for the largest dendrites and ratios. If the lift is poor you get smaller dendrites. If you are outside the range of those temps you start mixing in other types of snow crystals that don't have the ability to produce really high ratios like the large dendrites do. In very cold airmasses you can get small columns and bullets that have relatively lousy ratios.

When it comes to ratios with different crystal structure, everyone just has to look at their shape to get an idea of the ratios they'd produce. Think of dendrites as a bunch of tree branches thrown into a pile. The pile gets stacked high the more you add as the branch structure traps air in between. Now throw them through a wood chipper and watch how much lower the pile gets. There's your columns, needles, bullets, and small plates.

I may steal this analogy for my blog lol. Perfect.

Kevin things his sugar is going to pile up at 25:1.

Yeah...this. The snow growth region everyone mentions is basically just the max dendritic one of -12C to -18C. Like you said, you want strong omega in that zone with higher supersaturations for the largest dendrites and ratios. If the lift is poor you get smaller dendrites. If you are outside the range of those temps you start mixing in other types of snow crystals that don't have the ability to produce really high ratios like the large dendrites do. In very cold airmasses you can get small columns and bullets that have relatively lousy ratios.

When it comes to ratios with different crystal structure, everyone just has to look at their shape to get an idea of the ratios they'd produce. Think of dendrites as a bunch of tree branches thrown into a pile. The pile gets stacked high the more you add as the branch structure traps air in between. Now throw them through a wood chipper and watch how much lower the pile gets. There's your columns, needles, bullets, and small plates.

Thanks for elaborating....I had the basic idea, but I'm certainly no expert on that stuff...I usually just wait for you guys to declare whether or not a given system meets the criteria.

Not touching the percs....no booze for at least a couple of weeks (promotes fluid retention)....blah.

Looking forward to tmw's games, though.

Cyber email them to me lol. Giants and Pats shall meet again, Go Jints, <Will> Sports Forum<\Will>

Nice for the south coast after getting screwed Thursday.

Thanks, Chris. I guess even crappy flakes are better than none. That said, I guess my angst about missing a decent storm may have been unwarranted.

Fantastic geography--the mountains right from the ocean are awesome. Some of the bathing suits are pretty fantastic as well. But I suppose that's for another forum.

I went to Costa Rica in college, spent two weeks volunteering on an organic tropical fruit plantation near the Pacific coast...then I traveled a lot, going sea kayaking in Cahuita on the Caribbean, heading up to Monteverde and the Santa Elena preserve to do the ziplines and wildlife tours (howler monkeys FTW), spending some time in the mountains right outside San Jose as well.

Home in Westchester NY for the weekend, 3" down and still snowing at 21/18.

I may steal this analogy for my blog lol. Perfect.

Kevin things his sugar is going to pile up at 25:1.

Had the same problem in Chicago area yesterday. Expected high ratios, 20-25:1, ended up somewhere around 12-13:1, as low as 10:1. Some pockets of higher ratios, but all in all due to broken, small flakes, less accumulation occured than was expected.

FWIW, it is ripping pretty good with moderate flake size in bloomfield at the moment.

Edited for wording issues..

Nice one... I always think of potato chips in a bag. Stacking up and trapping air... crush those same chips and its about a quarter of what it once was.

Had the same problem in Chicago area yesterday. Expected high ratios, 20-25:1, ended up somewhere around 12-13:1, as low as 10:1. Some pockets of higher ratios, but all in all due to broken, small flakes, less accumulation occured than was expected.

FWIW, it is ripping pretty good with moderate flake size in bloomfield at the moment.

Edited for wording issues..

Chicago had 7 inches..which was more than forecast

Had the same problem in Chicago area yesterday. Expected high ratios, 20-25:1, ended up somewhere around 12-13:1, as low as 10:1. Some pockets of higher ratios, but all in all due to broken small flake size less accumulation than expected.

Nice but the PNS from Chitown was all 6-8 I would take 6 of needles. One thing starting to happen is some wind .

Nice but the PNS from Chitown was all 6-8 I would take 6 of needles. One thing starting to happen is some wind .

Had some enhancement in the southern suburbs and south area of the CWA, but all in all, most of the warned area (aka the northern CWA) ended up generally a bit lighter than originally forecasted. Definitely turned into a nowcast event.

Archived