wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 2012 Banter Thread

LongBeachSurfFreak

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we have had no trouble breaking 60 so far this winter with colder setups than that. Maybe the coastal won't do it, but KEWR, Mount Earthlight etc can. Look at the 500 mb heights, that's insane.

Only a few times the temp has reached over 60 in January and you expect temps near 80?..never happen..maybe 65 max

Yup had a fun commute into work this morning. When i left my house this morning in Monmouth County it had started to rain, then as I traveled through southern Middlesex County it had changed over to a heavy sleet and then a quick burst of snow as I started to enter Mercer County. Didn't stick of course but it was fun while it lasted. Temp dropped from 40 degrees at my house to 35 by the time I got to work.

A trace of snow does not require any kind of accumulation. Snow that falls and melts on contact is a trace.

Thanks for clarification. However, the graupel was mixed with sleet and rain all the time so it would be classed as a "wintry mix." Also, considering that the event only lasted 5 minutes and was fairly localized to the point where CPK itself may not have seen any flake, it's not certain that the city proper records a trace.

that would be 40 degrees above normal..that's like highs in the 40's in July..never happen

Winter is subject to far more deviations from mean temps than summer, so that really isn't a valid comparison. It's more like highs in July of maybe around 60 or on the other end 105-110. Definitely extreme (as the record high in January is 72) but not completely impossible.

that would be 40 degrees above normal..that's like highs in the 40's in July..never happen

70'S can happen in the winter, and you don't need a terrible pattern to get them either. I remember one instance in the past few years where we had highs in the 70's 3 or 4 days in a row only to get a SECS a few days later. I believe that was in February but the exact year escapes me. It was definitliy in the last ten or fifteen though.

Archived