joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2012 Banter Thread

LongBeachSurfFreak

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gale warnings cover this as they cover strong winds and high seas. The surf advisories are just for the immediate beach during beach season.

Definitely serious. Just because its winter does not mean people stop fishing and surfing. The current conditions are well above advisory criteria locally and could present danger to any boat heading out through local inlets, It only takes one breaking wave to really ruin a fishing boats day...

Gale warnings cover this as they cover strong winds and high seas. The surf advisories are just for the immediate beach during beach season.

Normally around here that would be true but look at this afternoons 44025 observations

01 12 5:50 pm N 3.9 7.8 11.5 10 7.8 SSE 29.55 +0.09 45.5 48.2 44.6 - - - 01 12 4:50 pm N 7.8 9.7 11.8 10 7.8 SE 29.52 +0.09 46.4 48.2 45.5 - - - 01 12 3:50 pm N 7.8 11.7 11.8 10 7.7 SE 29.49 +0.07 46.0 48.4 45.1 - - - 01 12 2:50 pm N 7.8 11.7 10.5 9 7.2 ESE 29.46 +0.06 47.1 48.4 46.4

Swell running over 10 feet while winds were less then 15 knots hence the need/opportunity for a high surf advisory. I can attest that waves were breaking through Jones inlet putting the Point Lookout and Freeport fishing fleets in jeopardy if they decided to set out in the light wind conditions. (I doubt they would as any reputable captain should be in the know) But warnings and advisory's are for the less informed.

You're a kosher Jew? But you came out with us on a Saturday night!

Kosher style, and keeping kosher and going out on a Saturday aren't related really but I guess people who keep kosher are more observant so i see the point.

and I drank you all under the table, so there!

Kosher style, and keeping kosher and going out on a Saturday aren't related really but I guess people who keep kosher are more observant so i see the point.

and I drank you all under the table, so there!

I deleted the Saturday part since duh nighttime is ok.

Btw I think you're referring to Alex buddy

Ok guys I have a question, what was the storm where we were for aster under heavy snow warnings here in ny sand staten island and the storm on the night just stayed all rain and NYC and staten island got nothing and the nws busted hard I need the year and date and any info would be great about the storm

I just heard Steve D threw in the towel as well now...all these mets that were on the pattern change train to colder and snowier have not left the train station because it got derailed!

Yeah he did, I just listened to it. The best thing has been that my heating bills haven't been too bad this year.

Ok guys I have a question, what was the storm where we were for aster under heavy snow warnings here in ny sand staten island and the storm on the night just stayed all rain and NYC and staten island got nothing and the nws busted hard I need the year and date and any info would be great about the storm

With heavy snow warnings must have been in the 60's or 70's..there have been many..March 3rd 1971 was one of those..another classic one was Dec 1989...can you give me a year?..or a year close to it?

Finally we have all accepted the inevitable. Although I still find it hard to believe that we don't even get 1 measurable snowfall for the rest of the season, March ftw baby!! or better yet an early April snowstorm.

We had a measurable snowfall in 07-08 with a much stronger La Nina; the only way we get that little snow (< 10" for the season) is if the AO and NAO continue to rage positive through March. Even the much talked about 01-02 winter had a 4" event in January. We don't live in the tropics, like DC, so there's no doubt we'll get snow at some point.

With heavy snow warnings must have been in the 60's or 70's..there have been many..March 3rd 1971 was one of those..another classic one was Dec 1989...can you give me a year?..or a year close to it?

he is talking about January 2008, right before they took away heavy snow warnings.

its was 45 degrees during the afternoon with howling SE winds, everyone knew it wasn't going to snow

There was one in January of 2008, I believe. Heavy snow warning and it just rained all night,

January (12th?) 2008. Month and year are correct but I'm uncertain of the date. That was the last major NWS bust I recall.

Archived