Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Jan 2012 Banter Thread

LongBeachSurfFreak

That's not a cuttoff low that I'm looking at

At 252 it diggs all the way to the gulf coast, at 264 the trough popps and we go negative, low closses off over GA and then moves up the coast, and then off the Delmarva passing just to our east. I don't know how to read the temperature profiles too well because of the small scale but it would be one hell of a noreaster, rain or snow. In any case, its fantasy land but cool to look at. (member row two second one from the left)

sorry dude, still not there. Your trough is negative way too quickly and there is no confluence/blocking to the north to hold any cold air in. Rule of thumb, you see that green line? if its north of the area, not good.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CMC and the GFS have both had there fair share of fantasy snowstorms this winter that haven't verified. The EC has maintained its ugliness and has verified. The GFS has more support right now from the other global models than the EC, but I think its unfair to say one particular solution should carry more weight at this time.

The CMC and the GFS have both had there fair share of fantasy snowstorms this winter that haven't verified. The ECMWF for the most part has maintained its ugliness and has verified. The GFS has more support right now from the other global models than the EC, but I think its unfair to say one particular solution should carry more weight at this time.

Disagree. The euro has had at least 3-4 snowstorms in the day 6-9 range. And also a 1"-2" event INSIDE of 60 hours, that verified in the DC area.

Disagree. The euro has had at least 3-4 snowstorms in the day 6-9 range. And also a 1"-2" event INSIDE of 60 hours, that verified in the DC area.

I don't concern myself with clippers or real small events.

I'm looking for a big overrunning event and or coastal. The small stuff irritates me. I'd rather have a torch and bust out the shorts.

Everyone is bowing down to the Euro lol. Who knows, the gfs might be right with the storm. Still a week to go. Trials, that's a nice setup on the gfs with the first and second storm .

Euro is not a god model so what is says for a few runs is no guarantee at all and the euro has had its share of major screw-ups.

If the GFS depiction of events were to verify, I can almost guarantee the surface low tracks would be further south and sfc temperatures also colder, given 1030mb highs propagating W-E near the US/Canadian border. We're in mid January now - 1030 highs are very efficient at locking CAD in and preventing rain changeovers assuming the high doesn't move east out to sea. Note I didn't say sleet or freezing rain, as this pattern does seem to promote that opportunity.

Euro is not a god model so what is says for a few runs is no guarantee at all and the euro has had its share of major screw-ups.

Ummmm... the Euro still has the highest verification scores. Every model performs differently in different scenarios. Right now I would take a blend of the Euro, GFS and GGEM.

If the GFS depiction of events were to verify, I can almost guarantee the surface low tracks would be further south and sfc temperatures also colder, given 1030mb highs propagating W-E near the US/Canadian border. We're in mid January now - 1030 highs are very efficient at locking CAD in and preventing rain changeovers assuming the high doesn't move east out to sea. Note I didn't say sleet or freezing rain, as this pattern does seem to promote that opportunity.

That being said, if the Euro depiction of events were to verify, well, obviously we wouldn't be talking snow vs freezing rain, we'd be talking 50 versus 60 degrees.

But that is exactly what should happen, the HP should slide east because you have a -pna, +NAO, and vortex over central canada, it screams warmer, not colder, ala the euro. Euro has the same strength HP and the entire northeast is torched because of the SW flow. In fact, at 192 hours, the 0C 850 line is North of Maine on the euro, mid january and all.

But everybody acts like what the Euro says goes. It's long range verification is still not better than other long range models.

It has the best scores in the medium to long range. As you get closer in time, the higher resolution models tend to score better. Overall I believe the SREF has the highest short range scores.

It has the best scores in the medium to long range. As you get closer in time, the higher resolution models tend to score better. Overall I believe the SREF has the highest short range scores.

All the models past day 6 have similar scores. Euro's best range is hour 0 to 144.

Yea not quite sure where you have been the past 2 months. The Euro has consistently shown fantasy storms this winter and I believe (correct me if i am wrong) a huge fantasy torch in late decemberish that busted big time as well...

Yea not quite sure where you have been the past 2 months. The Euro has consistently shown fantasy storms this winter and I believe (correct me if i am wrong) a huge fantasy torch in late decemberish that busted big time as well...

The euro has had at least 3-4 big time snow storms in the day 6-8 range this winter. Perhaps more.

The late December storm, showed as a snowstorm for 4 runs in a row, all inside of 180 hours.

Like all models, the euro is pretty useless, outside of day 5.

Ensembles are a little better in the mid to long range, but not much.

That's such a small sample in time though. Every single model has its blunders. One has to look at the overall percentages. In come cases the verification scores can be quite low, but still above average in comparison to other global models.

The Euro doesn't seem to suffer from the same syndrom that tends to plauge the GFS. The GFS tends to catch onto a big event early, and then loose it as time progresses only to bring it back a few days prior.

The Euro has a slight advantage because of the higher resolution, that and America seems to be falling further and further behind in the technological world.

That's such a small sample in time though. Every single model has its blunders. One has to look at the overall percentages. In come cases the verification scores can be quite low, but still above average in comparison to other global models.

The Euro doesn't seem to suffer from the same syndrom that tends to plauge the GFS. The GFS tends to catch onto a big event early, and then loose it as time progresses only to bring it back a few days prior.

The Euro has a slight advantage because of the higher resolution, that and America seems to be falling further and further behind in the technological world.

Come to think of it, you are right. The Euro is a better model as a result of American technological decline.

Uhh...Bull****. Because one weather model may or may not be more accurate america is in tech decline? Not the place for it, but ill say i hate when people argue this. What technological advances have the japanese come up w lately? The chinese? the Europeans? Anybody?

Americans - all the best military tech (drones, jamming of iranian nuclear sites), commercial tech (Iphone, Ipad, Google, Facebook, Twitter), Social/Media - (movies, music, etc), Biotech - nearly all top med schools, research centers, pharmas, etc are in the US.

Done.

I don't concern myself with clippers or real small events.

I'm looking for a big overrunning event and or coastal. The small stuff irritates me. I'd rather have a torch and bust out the shorts.

Just one day this winter, I want a storm with enough snow to completely cover grass and enough to shovel. Is that too much to freakin' ask for?

Archived