• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Next week's storm, Changes, Snow threats beyond (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ensembles do want to do something in the Atlantic regarding the NAO. It has a fleeting ridge day 11 and 12, and then tries to raise heights again across the area from the eastern US into Greenland. At the same time, there is troughing modeled over the east, but pretty good PAC flow moving in and heights rising as well. The mass fields still show high pressure to the north, so it's hinting at a gradient type deal, but storm track is virtually overhead. I think this pattern will have no problem with storminess.

i would take this and run some snow is better then none...

Wednesday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. East wind 5 to 7 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday: Rain and snow showers, becoming all rain after noon. High near 41. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: A chance of rain showers before 11pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

The ensembles do want to do something in the Atlantic regarding the NAO. It has a fleeting ridge day 11 and 12, and then tries to raise heights again across the area from the eastern US into Greenland. At the same time, there is troughing modeled over the east, but pretty good PAC flow moving in and heights rising as well. The mass fields still show high pressure to the north, so it's hinting at a gradient type deal, but storm track is virtually overhead. I think this pattern will have no problem with storminess.

early signal for nao blocking. it will save us from the retrogression disastuh

I'm getting excited. The reason is that I think at the very least we'll have several chances and it will likely be cold. Can't ask for much more. Big flip en route!

early signal for nao blocking. it will save us from the retrogression disastuh

I'm getting excited. The reason is that I think at the very least we'll have several chances and it will likely be cold. Can't ask for much more. Big flip en route!

It could be exciting, but it may get very dicey towards the end. I'd feel better in NNE, but we'll just have to see where the cards fall. Just keep that in mind.

Like 2010, Not very nice Mod Bob

Right. Four KUs and we were 0-for-3 then some 4:1 mashed potatoes on #4. IIRC, nearly all of SNE was quite a bit farther above their average in 2010-11 than was NNE. Also that the pre-Halloween dump gave many folks in SNE/CNE 3-6X the snow that fell in Maine.

Our chains well and truly yanked. :o

The 12z suite is interesting. I'm still quite hesitant to call for significant snow here even though most guidance has it...the margin for error is pretty small but the biggest positive is the antecedent air mass has been trending colder and colder as we get closer.

The 12z suite is interesting. I'm still quite hesitant to call for significant snow here even though most guidance has it...the margin for error is pretty small but the biggest positive is the antecedent air mass has been trending colder and colder as we get closer.

Slumber party at your place.

I think 00z probably will have a say to see if we wiggle back north like the euro had it. Either way..it looked snow and icy for you..even if you end as drizzle or something, but I wouldn't want a shift north.

Right. Four KUs and we were 0-for-3 then some 4:1 mashed potatoes on #4. IIRC, nearly all of SNE was quite a bit farther above their average in 2010-11 than was NNE. Also that the pre-Halloween dump gave many folks in SNE/CNE 3-6X the snow that fell in Maine.

Our chains well and truly yanked. :o

We finished here about 20% below avg with the mega block from hell that winter

I think 00z probably will have a say to see if we wiggle back north like the euro had it. Either way..it looked snow and icy for you..even if you end as drizzle or something, but I wouldn't want a shift north.

The Euro has been keying in on the CAD at the sfc for a few runs now regardless of mid-level temps. Even with 12z nudging the 0C line north of me eventually by a few miles, it never got the sfc above freezing in the hills.

It could def transition to an icing event if the mid-levels warm on subsequent runs but the track remains over the Cape or further SE.

The Euro has been keying in on the CAD at the sfc for a few runs now regardless of mid-level temps. Even with 12z nudging the 0C line north of me eventually by a few miles, it never got the sfc above freezing in the hills.

It could def transition to an icing event if the mid-levels warm on subsequent runs but the track remains over the Cape or further SE.

Yeah that's what I mean. Unless it comes closer, it has a good CAD signature for you guys from ne flow up through 925mb. At this point, unless it flies north, it's more of a mid level problem regarding temp and ptype based on that area near 850mb or so.

Wherever it ends up i think a lot will see IP with this storm

I do not think a lot of people will see IP as the predominate ptype...the zone for that is fairly narrow...the 850 0C line is close to the warmest layer...but not quite...maybe like a 20 mile offset zone. So there will be a narrow zone of IP, but I doubt you are going to see massive areas seeing a sleet storm ala Vday 2007 or something.

Its mostly going to be rain or snow....and if it trend warmer in the MLs...probably a wider zone of icing in the interior than IP

yeah as long as we don't trend back to the vortmax being on roids and running too far NW...i think you stand a good chc at your first real wintry event in a long while.

Yeah that's what I mean. Unless it comes closer, it has a good CAD signature for you guys from ne flow up through 925mb. At this point, unless it flies north, it's more of a mid level problem regarding temp and ptype based on that area near 850mb or so.

this is the kind of deal where you could take the snowcover/temp arguement from last night and apply it. if there was a good snowcover, i think it would increase your confidence that the interior is mostly/all frozen.

Dendrite has done well a few times.... but the so called GC has mainly been screwed this winter also. yeah Pete got a coating and 2K got a little.... but ask MPM, etc. and the only places to have any decent events were north of the MA/NH line.

This one looks to get GC in on it...but beware it could slip north.

GC had 30-36" on October, dude....so they missed out on a Tday swfe...big deal lol

Pete has seen slightly more snow on the season than Dendrite has.

I do not think a lot of people will see IP as the predominate ptype...the zone for that is fairly narrow...the 850 0C line is close to the warmest layer...but not quite...maybe like a 20 mile offset zone. So there will be a narrow zone of IP, but I doubt you are going to see massive areas seeing a sleet storm ala Vday 2007 or something.

Its mostly going to be rain or snow....and if it trend warmer in the MLs...probably a wider zone of icing in the interior than IP

Right, Snow/sleet, But not just all sleet, That zone could shrink if the mid levels keep trending cold, Right?

I could see a high thickness snow for many on the euro. Yeah there might be an isothermal layer, but lift, and CAA or CAD from high pressure to the north may help ensure that. It's tough to get a lot of ice with the H5 low going underneath you. Kind of an old timer rule, if you know what I mean.

If it's more north than that's different..just saying as is.

Archived