• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next week's storm, Changes, Snow threats beyond (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember that much snow...maybe 3" and then hours of ice...maybe it was one of those events that you got way more snow than here...but 8" seems high. Either way, it def snowed some, and then had hours of ice before the warm front finally was able to break the cryospheric curtain over us at the time and blast us into the 50s for a short time before the cold front came through, and then we were off to the races again (with minimal snow pack damage) for another 15 days adding quite a bit more snow in early February.

Another feature of that year that was good was whenever it warned up, which was brief, the cold air would usher in with some good squalls. I remember getting caught driving in quite a few that year, it was just an awesome winter all around.

If the algorithm on the Wundermaps totals is any good, that would be 3-5" even in the suburbs of Boston just inside 128

Euro is a very cold solution...no doubt about it...Ray (NW of BOS by 14 miles) would even get several inches...and the interior like ORH hills would prob get 3-7" and then some ice/sleet before it ends.

But this is the coldest guidance has ever been on this event, so its hard to take it too seriously yet...but its starting to get closer in the Euro "lethal" range...so we'll have to watch it more closely. The amazing thing is that its south enough it gives minimal precip to NNE. It looked like rain for them on previous progs.

I'm not sure what to make of this, other than there is a distinct cooling trend, but I'm very weary of the Euro overdoing that trend. It did it in the 12/23 event.

Euro is a very cold solution...no doubt about it...Ray (NW of BOS by 14 miles) would even get several inches...and the interior like ORH hills would prob get 3-7" and then some ice/sleet before it ends.

But this is the coldest guidance has ever been on this event, so its hard to take it too seriously yet...but its starting to get closer in the Euro "lethal" range...so we'll have to watch it more closely. The amazing thing is that its south enough it gives minimal precip to NNE. It looked like rain for them on previous progs.

I'm not sure what to make of this, other than there is a distinct cooling trend, but I'm very weary of the Euro overdoing that trend. It did it in the 12/23 event.

Good post. I suppose the sneak attack confluence / CAD will make the ECMWF potentially the best at seeing this cooler scenario unfold. Looking north, it is interesting how the setup temporarily resembles that of a -NAO scenario.

With the temporary -NAO like setup, confluence/CAD from Quebec and quicker intensifying cyclone on a more eastward track, it is possible this turns into a mostly snow event for portions of the Northeast. If that were the case, this would then potentially be a significant snow event, given the amount of moisture. I think this system tomorrow is key to altering the N. Atlantic / E. Canadian circulation.

The Euro doesn't really get the 850 0c contour north of the CT/MA border on the stormvista maps. The surface low gets down to 992mb South of the 40/70 benchmark.

Yeah on the WSI maps it doesn't really either...maybe a shade north of the CT/MA border....but its starting to turn into a sneak attack...but not buying it yet...still a ways to go. But if the EC played out verbatim for kicks, then it would be a big winter storm for the interior....likely several inches of snow and then some sleet...the sfc temps are not warm. There are some 20s in there.

Yeah on the WSI maps it doesn't really either...maybe a shade north of the CT/MA border....but its starting to turn into a sneak attack...but not buying it yet...still a ways to go. But if the EC played out verbatim for kicks, then it would be a big winter storm for the interior....likely several inches of snow and then some sleet...the sfc temps are not warm. There are some 20s in there.

Sounds like the definition of marginal here...

The GEFS 850 profiles were colder than the operational too. Just something to keep in mind -- I think there is a good possibility that this trends colder as the event approaches. Although, there definitely isn't much cold air in place prior to the system where I could say "hey this looks like an underdone confluent flow".

All of that said, there are still major changes going on aloft on almost all of the forecast models. The 12z and 00z OP GFS runs were dramatically different with the H5 orientation of the northern stream feature over the plains, and even more importantly...farther southeast with the compact shortwave over the Southeast US. Notice the de-amplified heights over the East Coast when comparing the 12 and 00z runs.

Something tells me this could jump either way (back to a warm solution, or colder)...but we haven't seen the final "trends" yet.

12z

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_12z/f78.gif

00z

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_0z/f66.gif

This is for the those heat mongers and debbie downers....the 00z Euro shows a massive winter storm for interior SNE...esp N of the pike...but even Kevin gets some accumulating snow out of it....but I am not taking this seriously. This is easily the coldest piece of guidance right now.

So for those who say we always honk the winter scenarios...lets watch this evolve. This would easily be a winter wx advisory, and probably a likely winter storm warning for ORH if the Euro verified. But its cold and the pattern is very questionable to support this type of solution....so its a wait and see proposition. I'm not expecting a huge change here to wintry...but we'll see.

The current pattern is pretty hostile to this.

As for the LR, the EC ens start to retrograde the PV back toward AK/Yukon by d15 and we go back above normal in the NE. There's a hint of a little ridging at times toward Greenland/Iceland, but nothing much at this point. Hopefully we can cash in a couple times in the next 2 weeks.

Archived