e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
New Year's Eve Threat

ski MRG

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...2.5" of glop that is completely gone after last night. My point was a couple of days before that event I was on the northern fringe and then I ended up with 2.5" on 0.60" of water equiv. Outside of powderfreak land it's been disappointing for everyone.

I guess I just feel as though the word "dissapointing" should be aptly employed within the context of this winter, and I think most would be satisfied having seen a HECS, a white xmass and a 33.7" of snow thus far....though obviously the evoloution of the season has been hardly ideal for anyone.

It's all relative, I guess.....I know I haven't been satisifed in the past when the majority felt as though I should have.

Looking good for up here. The 12z NAM is a best case scenario for me. I get a bit of CAD ahead of the clipper to keep the BL cool and then the sfc low slips just south of me keeping the cold locked in. Then the burst of +SN moves through here although the NAM keeps the heaviest a little north of me. North of the sfc track there could be a surprise for some people.

12z nam would be the best track for here, .60" qpf decent ratios, High end advisory maybe low end warning event...

I guess I just feel as though the word "dissapointing" should be aptly employed within the context of this winter, and I think most would be satisfied having seen a HECS, a white xmass and a 33.7" of snow thus far....though obviously the evoloution of the season has been hardly ideal for anyone.

It's all relative, I guess.....I know I haven't been satisifed in the past when the majority felt as though I should have.

I think I clearly said disappointing since the pre-Thanksgiving SWFE. Other than a couple tenths here and there it's basically been that 2.5" over the course of 5 weeks. I would call that a disappointing stretch especially with torching temps and mostly no snow cover. Obviously the season as a whole has been OK so far as I'll always have the memories of a Halloween HECS, but I've never seen almost 20" of snow melt so quickly.

I think I clearly said disappointing since the pre-Thanksgiving SWFE. Other than a couple tenths here and there it's basically been that 2.5" over the course of 5 weeks. I would call that a disappointing stretch especially with torching temps and mostly no snow cover. Obviously the season as a whole has been OK so far as I'll always have the memories of a Halloween HECS, but I've never seen almost 20" of snow melt so quickly.

That you did.....my fault.

One thing I'm noticing is that this low transits N of the 540dm thickness contour. This is not the type of low where all the QPF is painted on the warm side of 850 and we're looking for needle thread results. Also, preceding this (eastern GL-NE region) there is a weak/moderate polar high anchored in eastern Ontario that "should" load chillier llv partial thickness below the 850mb - synoptically the whole arrangement has that sort of appeal to me.

That would likely mean pocketed zr, albeit light after perhaps some overrunning lighter snow from roughtly ALB-BOS. Stripe of light overrunning snow for central New England. If that high were not up there, than limited BL resistance would mean mixing out any preceding cold thickness much faster. That may still be the case for CT/RI though.

Edit, I should be clear that I am speaking just in deference to the operational GGEM/GFS type blend

Euro looks crappy again like last night...its a weak low with not much precip and its pretty warm...even CNE is probably too warm for snow. Worst case scenario with both weak/light precip and marginal temps...that won't get it done.

Hopefully it looks better for next week.

Euro looks crappy again like last night...its a weak low with not much precip and its pretty warm...even CNE is probably too warm for snow. Worst case scenario with both weak/light precip and marginal temps...that won't get it done.

Hopefully it looks better for next week.

Wait a sec, how is that possible?

I'm looking at the hour 48 panel and it has 100 mile wide stripe of saturable RH at both 700 and 850mb levels, with 850mb temperature of -3 to -5C across the area.

You guys are rushing to the negative conclusion at least excuse imaginable without considering anything positive here. Sorry, it just comes across that way. I may be wrong, sure ... but that above would seem to imply that at least an interval of steady snow may precede much of that doomy vibe being painted.

I'm looking at the hour 48 panel and it has 100 mile wide stripe of saturable RH at both 700 and 850mb levels, with 850mb temperature of -3 to -5C across the area.

You guys are rushing to the negative conclusion at least excuse imaginable without considering anything positive here. Sorry, it just comes across that way. I may be wrong, sure ... but that above would seem to imply that at least an interval of steady snow may precede much of that doomy vibe being painted.

Tip the BL is torched 40 s just like our Windex day.

Its 66-72h that is the problem. We might get some weak overrunning light snow before that, but it wouldn't amount to much I don't think.

Its 66-72h that is the problem. We might get some weak overrunning light snow before that, but it wouldn't amount to much I don't think.

Yeah, those later frames look bleek - okay.

But, it snows on this run at 48-60 hours -

Folks, why not focus on THAT instead.

Beside, the Euro is not infallable - it could also be eroding the llv polar air slightly fast. That could easily be corrected into shallow inversion with ice in the interior.

That scenario is just as plausible for the time being.

Beside, the Euro is not infallable - it could also be eroding the llv polar air slightly fast. That could easily be corrected into shallow inversion with ice in the interior.

There is a snow weenie hidden beneath the gruff exterior

jk

It is late Dec/early Jan... not impossible for it to snow

This is classic +PNA/+AO cold loading beyond 96 hours on this operational ECM run. Notice the -20C, 850mb temperature barely grazes Lake Superior, yet the pressure pattern synoptic evolution looks like the 2nd coming of the Younger Dryaz interglacial cooling event! Man, if only a -AO lead this PNA spike; then we'd really be crippling the citrus crops.

Tip there is no precip from 48-60 , any snow that falls verbatim is at hour 66 on and that's north of a Portland Pittsfield line.

LOL...we're reduced to infighting amongst mets at this point. All that's missing is a Forky troll post about the SE ridge

Nah, Will's a talented Met...

I think the statement is directed toward the collective - people really are opening these modeling products and are biasing immediately to the most plausible negative interpretation.

Look, folks want it to snow before even weather... haha. I finally get that! So, stop looking for when it gets warm and rainy, and focus on your damn snow. If it is snowing 52 hours from now, there's an inch on the ground, and nice dendrite aggregates at 33F, you mean to tell me it doesn't count because it's going to be 40F and drizzly 12 hours later?

That's ...insane. really -

Archived