Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. Around 16" total (at IKK) from those two systems. That month was awesome.

Yes, very nice one-two shot. Wish I hadn't turned over to ZR on the 11/12 storm, but still 8" with that one + 5" from #2. Definitely the crown jewels of December 2000. Actually, no other events really pop out to me that month. Just otherwise cold with plentiful -SN episodes.

Yes, very nice one-two shot. Wish I hadn't turned over to ZR on the 11/12 storm, but still 8" with that one + 5" from #2. Definitely the crown jewels of December 2000. Actually, no other events really pop out to me that month. Just otherwise cold with plentiful -SN episodes.

The December 11th storm was a good "bust" for me. LOT had it as mainly mix for IKK, but it was mainly snow...with a short period of -ZR in between bands. The kicker system was icing on the cake. But yeah after that, smaller snowfalls and cold were the rule. The fluff factor (high ratio) was in command with those snows. And as I've bemoaned before, winter (or snowfall as it remained close to average overall temperature wise) pretty much exited stage right thereafter.

The December 11th storm was a good "bust" for me. LOT had it as mainly mix for IKK, but it was mainly snow...with a short period of -ZR in between bands. The kicker system was icing on the cake. But yeah after that, smaller snowfalls and cold were the rule. The fluff factor (high ratio) was in command with those snows. And as I've bemoaned before, winter (or snowfall as it remained close to average overall temperature wise) pretty much exited stage right thereafter.

After having to endure 1999-00 I was so happy to hit the ground running in 2000-01. Looking through the NARR plots, there was a bowling ball upper low in the OV around the 30th that dropped 3-4" here (that would later become NYC's 2000 NYE blizzard). Not sure how you faired with that. But yeah, after the closing of the year, winter sort of evaporated for a while. January 2001 was just awful. Still a B/B+ winter in my books because of those storms in February and March that bailed out the second half here, but outside of those, it was comparable to the second half of 2005-06.

How's everyone's record for latest first inch of snow coming along? CLE is currently sitting at third with first place Jan 6, 1995 and second Dec 17, 1998. We should easily slide into second place this weekend and I really hope first place stays out of the question.

After having to endure 1999-00 I was so happy to hit the ground running in 2000-01. Looking through the NARR plots, there was a bowling ball upper low in the OV around the 30th that dropped 3-4" here (that would later become NYC's 2000 NYE blizzard). Not sure how you faired with that. But yeah, after the closing of the year, winter sort of evaporated for a while. January 2001 was just awful. Still a B/B+ winter in my books because of those storms in February and March that bailed out the second half here, but outside of those, it was comparable to second half of 2005-06.

I did ok with the late month system. It's probably my bad memory, but it seems as if everything overachieved that month...even the small snows. Of course, I wasn't completely locked into watching computer models in those days either. :lol: Jan and Feb 2001 were both disasters (snowfall) back in NE IL. March had one event and that was that.

How's everyone's record for latest first inch of snow coming along? CLE is currently sitting at third with first place Jan 6, 1995 and second Dec 17, 1998. We should easily slide into second place this weekend and I really hope first place stays out of the question.

So long as the snow comes in droves afterwards, I could wait 'til the 6th of January for my first inch.

Chicago has until January 16th to not break the record (January 17, 1899). No idea where they rank right now though.

Non-story for LAF thanks to the late November storm.

Detroit saw its first inch of snow this year on December 5th (3.4") which is only 5 days later than the average of Nov 30th. The average for first 3"+ snowfall is Dec 26th, so we were 3 weeks early. The record is scary though...record latest first inch of snow? February 17, 1919, in the horrendous winter of 1918-19 (15.2" total, 8" of which fell in March).

I am VERY doubtful on big precip amounts up here. GFS had been showing almost an inch for a few runs, but I highly doubt we even get 1/4 inch.

Squirrels are frolicking today... They must not know what to think. Could be a good year for deer if the snow and especially ice stay to a minimum.

Ice fishing is going to be late...temps look "mild" right up and through Christmas.

The number of yearly precipitation records that will fall in the US this year is nothing short of impressive. Cleveland broke their yearly precipitation record back in October. We will end up the year some 10 inches above the previous record, mind blowing. Some suburban Cleveland weather stations have recorded 70+ inches of liquid this year, just unreal.

The number of yearly precipitation records that will fall in the US this year is nothing short of impressive. Cleveland broke their yearly precipitation record back in October. We will end up the year some 10 inches above the previous record, mind blowing. Some suburban Cleveland weather stations have recorded 70+ inches of liquid this year, just unreal.

Yeah Louisville broke the record earlier this month... it's seriously ridiculous how much rain there has been between spring and fall.... though lots of dry, boring periods in summer.

Meanwhile, it's going to be a toasty 64 degrees today... and 62 tomorrow! Sigh.

Regardless with what happens with the storm around the 20th, I was liking how the 12z EURO builds a ridge up into AK/YK around 216 with the a longwave trough further west towards the Aleutians. Sort of indicative of the -EPO/+PNA pattern we'll need for a sustained pattern change. Problem is by 240 it looks like the ridge is flattening and the trough is returning to the GOA. This is going to be a slow and frustrating process.

Archived