Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I read that the wunderground euro snow maps don't jive with the thermal profiles that accurately. Any credence to this?

Good question. Granted it's a very small sample size, but I thought they weren't too bad for the late November storm...but overzealous for the early December "system".

Well it can't get worse, can it? wink.png But yeah I agree with this sentiment. Still a relatively long period of suck to go through unfortunately.

Just think about this.... Everyday that goes by gets us 1 day closer to the start of next winter. Winter where I live starts around Nov 20th and ends around March 15th. So far thats 1/4th of winter gone... with one 6 inch storm that melted in a couple days.

My major beef is northern Michigan. I ride my snowmobile up there in quick 3 hour trips planned weekly... Trips to northern Michigan this years (0). Gaylord is 25 inches below normal and hasnt had a single day with more then 2 inches on the ground.

Just think about this.... Everyday that goes by gets us 1 day closer to the start of next winter. Winter where I live starts around Nov 20th and ends around March 15th. So far thats 1/4th of winter gone... with one 6 inch storm that melted in a couple days.

My major beef is northern Michigan. I ride my snowmobile up there in quick 3 hour trips planned weekly... Trips to northern Michigan this years (0). Gaylord is 25 inches below normal and hasnt had a single day with more then 2 inches on the ground.

Thats not that bad compared to a lot of others on here. Consider yourself lucky. Your probably still below average in snowfall though so I'd probably complain as well.

Thats not that bad compared to a lot of others on here. Consider yourself lucky. Your probably still below average in snowfall though so I'd probably complain as well.

Yeah, I'd take one 6 inch storm by mid-December. I got a nice one in December 2006 the first day of the month, and was satisfied even though the rest of the month torched and featured no snow. I really lucked out that Dec and year. It was a mod Nino I believe, yet featured above normal snowfall. That's a nice bonus for any winter that is a mod or strong Nino.

This next system for the 19th and 20th of December depends strongly of time of day (or night). If the heart of the moisture comes through overnight, decent chance that it is cool enough for snow NW of wherever the low tracks. However, right now, I think it is indicating Tuesday morning and afternoon, so potentially during normal daylight hours.

This next system for the 19th and 20th of December depends strongly of time of day (or night).  If the heart of the moisture comes through overnight, decent chance that it is cool enough for snow NW of wherever the low tracks.  However, right now, I think it is indicating Tuesday morning and afternoon, so potentially during normal daylight hours.

I disagree that the time of day matters much when you're talking about something around December 20.

Yup, good luck getting significant solar warming under a thick cloud shield with a 25° sun angle.

Yeah don't have to worry about solar warming in December, in March more likely though. Very thick clouds today have kept temperatures near steady in the low 40s.

Archived