• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x

If you want rain move to the sw part of NC.The amount of rain this area receives compared to the surrounding area is incredible.

Robert,they call the Weaverville area "Dry Ridge". We normally avg. anywhere from 2-6" less than the airport in annual. This Dec. things have just let loose up here though. Glad to see you have put a small dent in your drought. Now wiggle your nose or something and get us some cold & snow in here soon! :snowing:;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want rain move to the sw part of NC.The amount of rain this area receives compared to the surrounding area is incredible.

I lived in Franklin from 81-93....Amazing amount of rain in that area! esp. areas of the Cullasaja gorge and Jocassee gorge. Enough rainfall in spots there to be classified a rainforest.

0.00" in the last 24 hours, 0.10" for this storm system. :(

Same here not a drop since Weds evening......and they are already backing off the rain Christmas was 60% yesterday its 40% now and less than a 10th of a inch possible. Not gonna complain though the skeeters are horrible and since we arent gonna get the cold we need to kill them I gotta hope for a drought to do it lol.

What happened to the RAINY Christmas Day? :raining: I'm glad it's disappearing from the forecast! :D

.CHRISTMAS DAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING

PARTLY SUNNY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS IN THE LOWER

50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH.

.SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.

HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S.

Michelle...I got a total of 1.75. About an inch and a quarter today. It's a pretty good feeling, and more coming, if the last doc. is any indication. Hope it stays together for you!! A great Christmas present here.

Kyle, I think it went between us. I know the rotation seemed to wane between Brooks and here. It looked to be going just north, before it went poof. Tony

What an awesome early Christmas present :hug:

0.00" in the last 24 hours, 0.10" for this storm system. :(

Same here....just a trace last night.....CAE recorded .11 total for the past 2 days, while I got .09, and that brings the monthly total to a whopping .18 :(:angry: Maybe I should lower my standards and hope for a monthly total of .25 instead of a system total :axe:

:lol: I would like nothing more than freezing temps-record breaking freezing temps- but since that isn't happening, I might as well enjoy the extended spring Mother Nature is giving me. :icecream:

Glad to see you getting some much needed rainfall :hug: I have a 30% chance of some scattered showers tonight :pimp:

Screw spring in december :lmao: We have much of the year to enjoy warm weather, i want my cold :snowman:

Anywho, picked up another 0.75 and that gives me a total of 1.90. Not bad and much needed.

Tony,

I looked at KATL Xmas's 1930-2010. I counted an avg. of 54+ as warm and 34- as cold.

Warm: 1932, 33, 34, 44, 55, 64, 82, 87, and 08 (9 years)

Cold: 30, 35, 43, 48, 61, 62, 66, 69, 76, 80, 83, 85, 89, 90, 95, 99, and 04 (17 years)

Major S/IP rest of winter: 4 of 9 warm (though only one before 1/24) but only 2 of 17 cold (one before 1/24)

Major ZR rest of winter: 0 of 9 warm; 7 of 17 cold resulting in a whopping 9 major ZR's over 17! A respectable 6 of the 9 prior to 1/24.

Summary:

1) Some suggestion of increased threat of major S/IP later in winter after warm Xmas but not so much prior to 1/24.

2) Some suggestion of increased threat of major ZR later in winter after cold Xmas, especially prior to 1/24.

Love your stats and work Larry. Thank you for taking the time.

And while I'm at it, merry christmas to you and your family. You've been a cornerstone to the southeast forum for longer than I can remember and we would be a lot less fortunate without your contributions. :)

I can't wait to put December behind us. Here is a few select cites and their departures from normal for the month. To put in perspective one of KATL's coldest Decembers ever was last year where we averaged -7.1 for the month of December. KATL leading the pack...

Through December 22, 2011

December

Atlanta +5.5

Charlotte +5.4

Hickory +5.4

Asheville +5.0

Columbia +4.9

Greenville +4.9

Athens +4.7

Columbus +4.5

Chattanooga +4.5

Raleigh +4.5

Knoxville +4.2

And while I'm at it, merry christmas to you and your family. You've been a cornerstone to the southeast forum for longer than I can remember and we

would be a lot less fortunate without your contributions. :)

Thanks, Lookout. Merry Christmas to you and your family. It goes without saying how much you've contributed, including you being a moderator, something I don't see myself being able to perform well. I evaluate and handle numbers (and ice cream) way better than people's interactions. So, I appreciate your years of moderating greatly.

A side note about my Xmas stats: it doesn't appear KATL will have a 54+ avg. this Xmas. Therefore, they're technically moot as far as predictions for a major KATL winter storm this winter are concerned.

Screw spring in december :lmao: We have much of the year to enjoy warm weather, i want my cold :snowman:

Anywho, picked up another 0.75 and that gives me a total of 1.90. Not bad and much needed.

:lol: I agree +10000000

Maybe I should change my avatar in hope of a better pattern to bring the cold and moisture for an epic blowout for the SE Crew :snowing::snowman::sled:^_^

Tony,

I looked at KATL Xmas's 1930-2010. I counted an avg. of 54+ as warm and 34- as cold.

Warm: 1932, 33, 34, 44, 55, 64, 82, 87, and 08 (9 years)

Cold: 30, 35, 43, 48, 61, 62, 66, 69, 76, 80, 83, 85, 89, 90, 95, 99, and 04 (17 years)

Major S/IP rest of winter: 4 of 9 warm (though only one before 1/24) but only 2 of 17 cold (one before 1/24)

Major ZR rest of winter: 0 of 9 warm; 7 of 17 cold resulting in a whopping 9 major ZR's over 17! A respectable 6 of the 9 prior to 1/24.

Summary:

1) Some suggestion of increased threat of major S/IP later in winter after warm Xmas but not so much prior to 1/24.

2) Some suggestion of increased threat of major ZR later in winter after cold Xmas, especially prior to 1/24.

Did you get those numbers by going + 10 above or -10 below the average for the date? If so did you play with the numbers anymore and if so how did the data come out? I love the data you give us Larry but this seems like a pretty small sample size, but it's a nice fun fact. You now have me thinking I'd love to see something similar to this based off December departure from average correlation to a winter storm in January or February.

And while I'm at it, merry christmas to you and your family. You've been a cornerstone to the southeast forum for longer than I can remember and we would be a lot less fortunate without your contributions. :)

+10!

:lol: I agree +10000000

Maybe I should change my avatar in hope of a better pattern to bring the cold and moisture for an epic blowout for the SE Crew :snowing::snowman::sled:^_^

Dang, I can't believe you got so little out of it!

I could send you the Zombie, if you want. It got me some rain last time I used it :) T

Did you get those numbers by going + 10 above or -10 below the average for the date? If so did you play with the numbers anymore and if so how did the data come out? I love the data you give us Larry but this seems like a pretty small sample size, but it's a nice fun fact. You now have me thinking I'd love to see something similar to this based off December departure from average correlation to a winter storm in January or February.

Yes. The avg. is 44. I used the wording "some suggestion" intentionally since the confidence on there being a coincidental partial correlation doesn't have to be debated. I haven't played wih the numbers any more due to time constraints and this just being a mainly fun Christmas thingie. If I get a chance, I maydo the DEC correlation to later winter storm.

Regarding size of sample, I will say that the 9 ZR's/7 winters for 17 cold Xmas's stat is not that small.

Yes. The avg. is 44. I used the wording "some suggestion" intentionally since the confidence on there being a coincidental partial correlation doesn't have to be debated. I haven't played wih the numbers any more due to time constraints and this just being a mainly fun Christmas thingie. If I get a chance, I maydo the DEC correlation to later winter storm.

Regarding size of sample, I will say that the 9 ZR's/7 winters for 17 cold Xmas's stat is not that small.

Awesome about the DEC correlation if you find time. I would try myself but I really have a hard time finding some of the data you have access to, in particular departure from average by month and year, not just the top ten and KATL snowfall. As for the small sample size I was referring to using one day of a month and trying to find a correlation based on that. I love your data Larry, I don't want to come off as unappreciative it was just an observation. I would much rather read the stats you posted than not. ;)

Awesome about the DEC correlation if you find time. I would try myself but I really have a hard time finding some of the data you have access to, in particular departure from average by month and year, not just the top ten and KATL snowfall. As for the small sample size I was referring to using one day of a month and trying to find a correlation based on that. I love your data Larry, I don't want to come off as unappreciative it was just an observation. I would much rather read the stats you posted than not. ;)

No problem. You didn't come across as unappreciative at all. It is always important for people to observe and question. I see your point about looking at all of Dec. vs. just 12/25. However, keep in mind that it is always possible late Dec., alone, may be more telling than all of Dec. Maybe the best correlations are with, say, 12/16-31 or even 12/21-31 as opposed to either 12/25 or all of Dec. You never know in the wacky world of wx.

+10! T

Much appreciated, Tony. Your obs. and look back at history are always appreciated. Your humor is some of the best here and is unique. The only problem is that you won't admit that you really do want to be on the beach on a warm day in winter

eating lots of ice cream and can't make up your mind between the white beach and the white snow at Snowjoe's. ;)

I thought about asking him to work on a correlation for the whole of fall/early winter warm/cold and majors, but I didn't want his brain to do a solar flare, or worse, supernova, lol. As it is I didn't expect such a quick response. He has such a trove of data he has gleened over a long while, I should have expected it.

I envision his house as a warren of piled papers, and tomes, with scattered beach accoutrements, lol. T

Thanks, Larry. If one is to be a cold weather/sleet/snow freak in the deep south, one must be armed with a sense of humor. Otherwise the cliff looms large, and fills the mind with dread...year after year after year :)

I do love the beach, and if Joe had an ocean at the bottom of his mountain strong hold, it would be a heavenly place, indeed...although that would be just too much power for any one man to wield, lol.

Only draw back is the beach doesn't have many super long hills with a steep gradient! But there is the ice cream. Tony

Here's my rainfall totals for this past system

Total before noon yesterday - .30

Total after noon yesterday - 1.63

Total - 1.93

Cooler out there today with a current temp of 55o. First sunny day in awhile!

If you have time, take a look back at where we were 1 year ago today. Gives me goosebumps reading it...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/5033-christmas-storm-iv/page__st__210

Archived