Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov. 27th - Nov. 29th Upper Level Low

LithiaWx

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo one of the best mets at GSP, is not ready to ride the GFS just yet. Sounds like the offices are pretty divided on the models. Here is part of the short term afd.

SUNDAY IS WHEN THE REAL FORECAST DIFFERENCES EMERGE. THE 00 UTC GFS

AND THE NAM THROUGH 84 HOURS ARE BOTH MORE PROGRESSIVE WITH THE

DEVELOPING TROUGH...TO THE POINT WHERE FROPA OCCURS EARLY ON THE DAY

SUNDAY. THE 00 UTC ECMWF ON THE OTHER EXTREME IS NOW SLOWER THAN IT

WAS BEFORE...CUTTING OFF AN UPPER LOW OVER AR/LA SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

THIS SOLUTION DOESN/T HAVE THE BULK OF THE PCPN MOVING INTO THE FA

UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT AND TUE. THE CANADIAN SUPPORTS THE EC AND THE

UKMET...AT LEAST TROUGH 72 HOURS...IS ALSO SLOWER. HONESTLY...AT

THIS POINT...IT/S VERY DIFFICULT TO CHOOSE A WINNER. SOME OFFICES

HAVE ELECTED TO FOLLOW THE FASTER 00 UTC GFS. I DON/T AGREE WITH

THIS...BUT I DID TREND TOWARD A FASTER SOLUTION TO MAINTAIN

CONSISTENCY IN THE GRIDS. AGAIN...THIS IS A VERY UNCERTAIN FORECAST

AT THIS TIME.

SHORT TERM...MCAVOY

Had to be away most of yesterday and now I see we have all kinds of solutions, still! Closed off lows are such head aches, but still about the funnest of all Wx phenomenon to me. The latest run of ECMWF is a big rainmaker and back to nearly what the GFS was going for, but GFS is much more progressive. The pattern is just loaded lately and its really hard to know which way to lean with such a big discrepancy even at this shorter range now.

NAO seems to indicate some mischief on its way. Though it may be transient in nature, that is a pretty big drop on today's ensembles... It is worth noting (as has been discussed) that the ensembles have underforecast how positive the NAO has been. (Please note this was also mentioned on the main board w/ a similar wording...I posted before it was on there.)

post-769-0-18925000-1322143975.gif

Canadian sticking to its guns, 545dm closed off in western TN at 84hrs.

Edit: 539 northern AL @ 96, neg tilt. :-)

536 on the AL/GA border at 108...popcorn.gif

EDIT: 531 over MY BACKYARD at 120!!! Surely I could at least get some snow showers from that..

If the Euro shows something similar I’ll be ready to throw out the GFS and assume we are going to have a major cutoff this weekend.

post-309-0-51197200-1322154300.gif

536 on the AL/GA border at 108...popcorn.gif

EDIT: 531 over MY BACKYARD at 120!!! Surely I could at least get some snow showers from that..

If the Euro shows something similar I’ll be ready to throw out the GFS and assume we are going to have a major cutoff this weekend.

Sounds like fun times ahead. No expectations for snow this early though. Just happy to see this pattern developing!

GFS ensembles say that the Op is probably too fast, the Canadian sticking to its guns is a good sign. If the Ukie and Euro have a slower deeper trof, then maybe we will have something interesting. I find it interesting that the models are still this divergent only 96 hours out.

I have to say that I'm been a little surprised by you Cheez. Normally you poopoo this type of storm and are right in doing so. This thing must have some real potential.

Archived