Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov. 27th - Nov. 29th Upper Level Low

LithiaWx

Here is todays GSP long term.....

RAH afd... :popcorn:

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

AS OF 245 PM...

CHAOS CONTINUES IN THE MODELS WITH THE NEXT LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

FORECAST TO IMPACT THE AREA EARLY NEXT WEEK. THE OPERATIONAL 12Z GFS

AND ECMWF RUNS HAVE AT LEAST A PASSING RESEMBLANCE WITH AN UPPER

TROUGH SOMEWHERE OVER TENNESSEE SUNDAY. THE ECMWF THEN PROCEEDS TO

CUT OFF A LOW OVER THE GULF STATES... WHILE THE GFS IS LATER TO

DEVELOP A LOW AND MUCH FURTHER NORTH... SIMILAR TO THE CANADIAN.

FEATURES AT 10000 FEET AND BELOW ARE DIVERSE AS WELL AND MAKE ALL

THE DIFFERENCE IN WHEN AND WHERE PRECIPITATION IS GENERATED. THE

CANADIAN LOOKS CLOSEST TO POTENTIAL REALITY WITH THE MID LEVEL

PRESSURE GRADIENT CONCENTRATED CLOSER TO THE PARENT LOW. WILL

CONTINUE TO PLACE THE BEST RAIN CHANCE ON MONDAY AT 50 PERCENT WITH

THIS PERHAPS NEEDING DOUBLING SHOULD MODELS CONVERGE. SUNDAY NIGHT

MAY NEED TRIPLE DIGIT POPS AS WELL... BUT WITH MORE OF A GRADIENT IN

RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM WEST (HEAVIER) TO EAST (LIGHTER). THE GULF OF

MEXICO IS OPEN FOR MOISTURE TRANSPORT AHEAD OF THE DYNAMICS... AND

AN EVENT WITH WIDESPREAD RAINFALL NEAR OR EXCEEDING ONE INCH

POSSIBLE. WITH WINDS EXCEEDING FIFTY KNOTS AT 5000 FEET... AND

HELICITY APPROACHING 300 M2/S2... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE

WEATHER AS WELL. RIGHT NOW THE THINKING WOULD BE MONDAY... BUT

CONFIDENCE IN TIMING IS LOW.

THE CURRENT FORECAST FOR SUNDAY WILL HAVE SLIGHT RAIN CHANCES

ENTERING THE FORECAST FOR THE WEST SUNDAY AFTERNOON... INCREASING TO

FIFTY PERCENT SUNDAY NIGHT... WHILE LEAVING THE EAST AT NO HIGHER

THAN SLIGHT FOR SUNDAY NIGHT. A CHANCE OF RAIN MONDAY NIGHT AND

SLIGHT CHANCES FOR TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY... THOUGH TUESDAY AND

WEDNESDAY CHANCES MAY NEED TO BE DROPPED SHOULD MODELS CONVERGE

CLOSER TO THE CANADIAN SOLUTION.

ASSUMING RAIN CHANCES HOLD OFF SUNDAY... AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES WILL

REACH 65 TO 70 DEGREES. MONDAY HIGH TEMPERATURES OF 58 TO 63 OF LOW

CONFIDENCE AND TOO WARM IF WIDESPREAD RAINS SETTLE IN FOR THE DAY.

MID FIFTIES FORECAST FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. LOW TEMPERATURES IN

THE MID 40S TO LOWER 50S SUNDAY NIGHT... FALLING TO THE MID AND

UPPER 30S TUESDAY NIGHT.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a few people have brought up Christmas. Mods please feel free to delete this. I know I had talked to Jack and he seemed ok last year posting a map if it is old...but not sure how SV feels now. Anyways here was the Euro 120 hours out from our Christmas storm last year. It ended up being a lot weaker than the Euro showed/

looking for the low, i seem to see something in the gulf of alaska right now moving sse? is that the low being forecast to cut off over the SE somewhere?

The answer you are looking for is going to be fairly complicated and beyond what I can answer for you. A meteorologist would probably be able to verbalize the answer much better than I can. Short answer no.. What you are looking at in the GoA is not our low, but depending on what you are looking at it could be part of the energy from the northern stream that will be a factor in popping the low.. The energy coming in off the California coast will be a player and also some northern stream energy will come into play. Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully someone can give you a good answer.

18Z GFS is rolling :popcorn:

12z ECMWF recap, via wunderground

33hr H5 panel, closed low coming into SoCal, still a good amount of energy inbound, and vorts taking on an almost eyewall type structure...

post-382-0-00648400-1322087211.jpg

81 & 111 hrs, full latitude upper air trough, energy getting left back in the Baja, northern stream influx evident through the Plains...

post-382-0-13100100-1322087308.jpg

post-382-0-07885900-1322087450.jpg

Northern stream parcel comes in late, 123 and 132 hrs, close off over AL and a neg tilt thereafter...

post-382-0-82693400-1322087521.jpg

post-382-0-60228800-1322087535.jpg

Is there no more NAM?

I looked at the NAM today but it only goes to 84 hours out and that's really not far enough for this storm to see what's going to happen. You could try and extrapolate the model but that's never a good idea and rarely turns out the way you might think. The NAM will become more useful in a couple days.

First rule of thumb: ALWAYS throw out the 18z GFS.

The 12z GFS has me thinking this will be your average frontal passage. I'm looking to the 0z GFS this evening for a similar run to the 12z.

It has been stated a few times by respectable mets in our region that the 6Z and 18Z GFS runs are no worse than their 0Z and 12Z counterparts for verification. The posts I'm referring to are buried somewhere but I thought the 18Z was inferior for the longest time just like you.

It has been stated a few times by respectable mets in our region that the 6Z and 18Z GFS runs are no worse than their 0Z and 12Z counterparts for verification. The posts I'm referring to are buried somewhere but I thought the 18Z was inferior for the longest time just like you.

I remember this to be true as well....I thought the same....

Agreed. That used to be my thinking before realizing the truth behind it. No need to trash a particular run of a model just because it looked bad and thus should be discounted or simply due to the fact that it's the 18z or whatever. Models do what do and they all have their individual reasons for depicting a future weather event. Sometimes the 6z and 18z runs pick up something that perhaps the 0z and 12z didn't ingest, whatever that reason may be.

Time to see what the 0z GFS rolls out for tonight.

Let's just hope the euro holds it together as well, watching my first run of the euro this season!! I'm a winter only model watcher in case that didn't give it away :)

Canadian didn't deposit the southern piece of energy in Mexico like the GFS / UKMet did....instead, it kept it intact as it treked east, allowing northern stream energy to dive in

Archived