CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Part II, Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ensembles are going to be pretty accurate in a stable hemispheric pattern like we have now. The models perform a lot worse when there is a lot of high latitude blocking.

Still though I dont think back in early November the euro weeklies were calling for a +PNA to develop with troughing in the east.

Take these forecasts FWIW

Still though I dont think back in early November the euro weeklies were calling for a +PNA to develop with troughing in the east.

Take these forecasts FWIW

Week 4...sure, can be shaky on the weeklies. The actual ensembles though only go out 15 days and have been pretty good.

In your opinion do you trust what the lastest euro weeklies were saying or do you see a paatern change after the 15th of December?

They show a solidly +AO which I don't disagree with...the part that cannot be trusted on a week 4 prog IMHO is the nuances of where the low heights end up in the Arctic...that could affect the PNA which would be our main means of getting cold without blocking. If a PV lobe gets far enough south like near Hudson Bay, we could cool off as well in that manner.

They show a solidly +AO which I don't disagree with...the part that cannot be trusted on a week 4 prog IMHO is the nuances of where the low heights end up in the Arctic...that could affect the PNA which would be our main means of getting cold without blocking. If a PV lobe gets far enough south like near Hudson Bay, we could cool off as well in that manner.

And if I heard correctly that does try to haapen around Hudson bay with the PV lobe?

The whole pattern is just so stable. We are going to need a super nova to disrupt the +AO...lol.

Does this have anything to do with what Tip referenced a couple weeks ago that essentially the atmosphere is still in summer mode because what normally happens (in the atmosphere by Oct. 1) still hasn't happened. Not sure what the technical term is.

Does this have anything to do with what Tip referenced a couple weeks ago that essentially the atmosphere is still in summer mode because what normally happens (in the atmosphere by Oct. 1) still hasn't happened. Not sure what the technical term is.

I don't think so. I don't recall what he said, so I can't really answer that. We seem to be in a pretty stable pattern with all the global indices remaining in phases to help perpetuate this, for the time being.

Missing Scott's analysis of the 00z ECM ensembles..guess it's just the same old same old. :whistle:

Pretty much. Still have a little ridging into Canada, but again, the sw trough doesn't allow good cold into SNE and looks like SWFE are possible. Still think milder or messy solutions are possible, but we walk the line I think. Could also be snowier if the cold is somewhat established.

Pretty much. Still have a little ridging into Canada, but again, the sw trough doesn't allow good cold into SNE and looks like SWFE are possible. Still think milder or messy solutions are possible, but we walk the line I think. Could also be snowier if the cold is somewhat established.

Maybe we could pull off a 12/9/09 sometime early in the month or would you say the pattern back then was a good deal better?

Much better than what we have had the last month

Maybe we could pull off a 12/9/09 sometime early in the month or would you say the pattern back then was a good deal better?

Yeah I could see some of those deals too. SWFE turning into a mess.

I'm just not excited at all about what I see, but I do understand that we may have just enough cold if it times right. I still don't like the overall pattern.

Archived