• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Late November through Early December Obs/banter

CoastalWx

A few posts are fine but to ramble on and on for hours about off topic discussion is ridiculous in a non-banter thread. Posting temp obs or emoticons in a pattern change thread accomplishes nothing.

Some here act as if I'm not allowing you to have fun. That could not be the furthest from the truth. Just do it in the appropriate threads.

I'm not alone in my thinking here. I have the backing of the other moderators as well as administrators.

OK please link me to the hours and hours of OT talk, ****e! you posted a keep on Topic scold the other day when 3 posts went a tad OT. You are the typical rookie cop, take everything to the rule of the law and say I have my Chiefs backing. Did you hear what Happey Valley and SBOSWX said? A boring mundane non storm day is made better by our kidding. If you guys want strict boring straight up on topic all the time so be it but I kinda think you are overstating your chiefs intent, exactly why storm mode was created.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK please link me to the hours and hours of OT talk, ****e! you posted a keep on Topic scold the other day when 3 posts went a tad OT. You are the typical rookie cop, take everything to the rule of the law and say I have my Chiefs backing. Did you hear what Happey Valley and SBOSWX said? A boring mundane non storm day is made better by our kidding. If you guys want strict boring straight up on topic all the time so be it but I kinda think you are overstating your chiefs intent, exactly why storm mode was created.

I broke off a whole ski thread this AM after a full day of posts in the Pattern Change thread.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/30180-201112-ski-season-thread/

There, you wanted proof. You have it.

I agree. Mundane days should be spent in the Banter/Obs Thread posting not posting obs in a Pattern Change thread. Pretty easy to follow if you ask us.

I broke off a whole ski thread this AM after a full day of posts in the Pattern Change thread.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/30180-201112-ski-season-thread/

There, you wanted proof. You have it.

I agree. Mundane days should be spent in the Banter/Obs Thread posting not posting obs in a Pattern Change thread. Pretty easy to follow if you ask us.

Still have not answered my questions Robert.

Edit oh by the way your whole day of posts started at 854 this morning , you moved the posts at 1015.

Still have not answered my questions Robert.

Edit oh by the way your whole day of posts started at 854 this morning , you moved the posts at 1015.

What question did I not answer for you?

The first post I moved was made by Pete on Nov 23rd at 10:19 PM

The last post I moved was this AM at 10:11AM on Nov 25th.( I may have moved even more after I created the thread)

That was when I created the thread. 10:11am today.

By my math that is 17 posts and 36 hours.

What question did I not answer for you?

The first post I moved was made by Pete on Nov 23rd at 10:19 PM

The last post I moved was this AM at 10:11AM on Nov 25th.( I may have moved even more after I created the thread)

That was when I created the thread. 10:11am today.

By my math that is 17 posts and 36 hours.

. What is the problem exactly? You want new posters? How do envision to make that happen? You are blaming us who make this sub forum the most read on the board the reason newbies do not post? Nice.

Loosen up all the time in the one banter thread. That's what it is there for.

Let me address this thought in a more serious nature rather than an random half thought out mobile post. This is really only SNE orientated.

(a)Banter does have to be limited. There shouldn't be page long conversations about skiing or gardening. However, I think our subforum already does a pretty impressive job with self moderation. If there is a threat or something of importance its usually on the forefront.

(b)Banter cannot be fully eliminated. It makes this subforum what it is. The downfall of all of the other subforums (including the one I currently reside and mostly despise) is that it completely dies in off time. The day to day posts about all of our different exciting lives, and even the jocularity surrounding some personal friendly stabs is irreplaceable.

©The same weenie and toaster jokes do get old. Does anyone else feel the same way?

(d)Limit the spin. The weather doesn't lie most of the time. Kevin preaching heat waves 365 days a year while Pete is forecasting blizzard conditions and epic cold might be misleading to new posters.

The argument for a separate thread is understandable. There should be a banter thread, but for only for completely unbased posting. I just can't see anything ever working (with our personalities) where every single post is weather. To me that is plain boring and uncharacteristic of our posters. Who are we trying to be and why are we trying to change our identity?

Let me address this thought in a more serious nature rather than an random half thought out mobile post. This is really only SNE orientated.

(a)Banter does have to be limited. There shouldn't be page long conversations about skiing or gardening. However, I think our subforum already does a pretty impressive job with self moderation. If there is a threat or something of importance its usually on the forefront.

(b)Banter cannot be fully eliminated. It makes this subforum what it is. The downfall of all of the other subforums (including the one I currently reside and mostly despise) is that it completely dies in off time. The day to day posts about all of our different exciting lives, and even the jocularity surrounding some personal friendly stabs is irreplaceable.

©The same weenie and toaster jokes do get old. Does anyone else feel the same way?

(d)Limit the spin. The weather doesn't lie most of the time. Kevin preaching heat waves 365 days a year while Pete is forecasting blizzard conditions and epic cold might be misleading to new posters.

The argument for a separate thread is understandable. There should be a banter thread, but for only for completely unbased posting. I just can't see anything ever working (with our personalities) where every single post is weather. To me that is plain boring and uncharacteristic of our posters. Who are we trying to be and why are we trying to change our identity?

We have had a banter thread ever since we made subforums. Its not too much to ask to try and keep meteorology-specific threads on topic. There are hundreds of lurkers who contribute to the board via donation drive and just because they do not post, does not mean they aren't there or don't read.

I think a group comprised of 95% adults should be able to keep the specific threads on topic.

We have had a banter thread ever since we made subforums. Its not too much to ask to try and keep meteorology-specific threads on topic. There are hundreds of lurkers who contribute to the board via donation drive and just because they do not post, does not mean they aren't there or don't read.

I think a group comprised of 95% adults should be able to keep the specific threads on topic.

Agreed and I apologize for cluttering up the pattern threads, etc. with ski crap, stupid jokes, and obs.

It was pretty dull after eating turkey last night...

What is the moderations team plan to encourage new posters to post? I guess we are going to miss you and Ecks classic banter overnight threads about everything from blizzards to tornados to golf to sports, bummer. It's all about the flow of convo and the timing of that flow. Absolutely agree there are times when straight up specificity is needed, even Ryan agrees. You want new posters but judging by the responses tonight if you go too far you threaten to alienate the posters who make the forum so interesting. Fine balance which has worked out. Seems somebody has made an assumption why newbies do not post. I like facts not assumptions.

What is the moderations team plan to encourage new posters to post? I guess we are going to miss you and Ecks classic banter overnight threads about everything from blizzards to tornados to golf to sports, bummer. It's all about the flow of convo and the timing of that flow. Absolutely agree there are times when straight up specificity is needed, even Ryan agrees. You want new posters but judging by the responses tonight if you go too far you threaten to alienate the posters who make the forum so interesting. Fine balance which has worked out. Seems somebody has made an assumption why newbies do not post. I like facts not assumptions.

Violently agree with this..

I'm not sure what you are objecting to. We are talking about keeping a specific thread/threads on topic. We have a banter thread.

Why should someone have to dig through 7 pages of banter in a pattern change thread to find out what the latest models or ensembles say or latest thoughts?

You are essentially objecting to us keeping threads on topic?

I'm with ginx, dryslot, ctrain, sboswx on this one. i agree 100% with their posts. I understand what Will and Bob are saying and obviously its fine that they want to have one banter thread...just saying that imo I think its fine how it is.

This conversation is OT... please move it to OT.

lmaosmiley.gif

Hi...It's definitely at least 95%.. I have the most posts for <18 on the board and have pretty much contributed nothing outside of obs...but there are a few other active under 18 that I know of but I can only think of 3 total.

I'm not sure what you are objecting to. We are talking about keeping a specific thread/threads on topic. We have a banter thread.

Why should someone have to dig through 7 pages of banter in a pattern change thread to find out what the latest models or ensembles say or latest thoughts?

You are essentially objecting to us keeping threads on topic?

Nope essentially saying we know when to hold um and know when to fold um.7 pages in my setup is 350 posts, highly unlikely. The original objection was to your new cop Walter. When Ryan complains about over moderation, something's up.

Nope essentially saying we know when to hold um and know when to fold um.7 pages in my setup is 350 posts, highly unlikely. The original objection was to your new cop Walter. When Ryan complains about over moderation, something's up.

So you are saying that we should take a pattern change thread off topic if the weather is boring? Why not just BS in the banter thread?

Look, I am not saying we should say nothing, its just that we essentially end up with multiple banter threads if we let that happen and people have trouble finding relevant posts easily. For those of us who are in here all the time, we don't care, but our job is not to only tailor to people who post throughout the day or don't mind reading through 100+ posts. People can comment, but just keep it on topic about the pattern change stuff. I'm not sure why that is a tough concept for people. Once again....we have a banter thread.

Obviously its never going to work perfectly and stuff will be taken off topic, but the board has gotten crowded enough that it is going to happen every day if we don't try to moderate it. I stopped in here today and clicked on the pattern thread and had no clue what was going on until I clicked several pages back (20 posts per page)...usually I'm on a lot but I've been out this weekend.

Yawn, we have more posters than any region, we have more Mets than any region. People come to our threads for info. What is the problem exactly? You want new posters? How do envision to make that happen? You are blaming us who make this sub forum the most read on the board the reason newbies do not post? Nice.

This is the kind of response that really sucks for a moderator. He's doing his job.

Two days ago I came into the SNE thread and saw a picture of two squirrels f*cking each other and five pages of banter with absolutely nothing but AWT, weenie graphics, and total BS. Obviously it's not my spot to moderate here. I leave that to Will, Ekster, ETaunton, etc.

There's a fine line between a few off topic posts and a college dorm-room type chat. That's what the banter thread is designed for. And that's why those posts were moved.

This is a great subforum, everything will be fine. This is not a big deal. But that kind of crap needs to stay out of a thread designed to talk about the post-thanksgiving pattern. Just because there's a dead period in weather shouldn't mean it's a free for all.

Archived