amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Wow..New Eurotrash clobbers Lakes Region Late Thanksgiving weekend

wxhstn74

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO is really having lots of trouble with this storm system. GFS has been fairly consistent. Doesn't mean it's the best choice, but it has been consistent.

It's been more consistent than the Euro up to this point for sure (though they've both been bad) but it's hard to trust anything in this setup.

This. It's gonna be fun model watching for the next couple of days.

As some of you probably know, the big problem with these model runs is they really don't have a grasp on what ACTUALLY the northern Pacific jet entails since there is no good data to sample and the STRONG but PROBLEMATIC jet I talked about in my WO. This is the energy that is forecast to dig into the western US this weekend and until it does, models are just guessing where and what she'll do. Next problem is the polar air intrusion early next week (and the other PROBLEM this winter) again no good sample of actual data (see second map on the jets and fourth on tracks I expected this winter based on analogues). The third map shows the tremendous jet channel that's created over the Northern Pacific between the ridge heights and deep polar vortex over the northern Pacific into western Canada in these analogue years.

http://weatherhistorian.blogspot.com/2011/11/still-another-la-nina-rides-in-for.html

LaNina_typical+ST_Anal+2011_12ST2.gif

Anal_1951_2011_500MB_Nov_Mar_WO201112.png

2011_12+WinterStorm+Tracks.gif

The storm on the 12z GFS explodes once it phases/interacts with the incoming trough from Canada around 165ish!! IDk if it will happen or not but a really cool run nonethelessthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

gfs_namer_165_500_vort_ht.gif

gfs_namer_165_1000_500_thick.gif

Might happen. iirc, the Sept system took off like a rocket and deepened when it interacted, made waves like 27 ft high on Lk. Michigan. Nov type waves In Sept. Crazy stuff!

idk, but I'd love to see it happen again with this one, lol..:popcorn:

Now she cuts off and waits for the more powerful polar jet to phase Tue 11/29 and Michigan under the gun (especially Western with added Lk effect). I guess its as good of solution as any. Thoughts? Sure gon' crazy! For those asking about when is winter beginning???

Funny, back in Sept. early Oct. after the first spinner, I gut reaction forecasted a MI doozy similar to 16-Nov-89 to kick-off winter in these parts. Maybe I'll verify my gut after all. Wasn't looking like I had a snowball's chance, then presto, BIll Deedler showed up. :whistle:

0z GFS continues to show the chance at snow/snow showers across the area bringing a weak deformation zone through late saturday night into sunday morning.

150a3cd337f79d0f33643b8b2700c41d.gif

Yeah looks like a good shot at some snow showers/flurries for many of us across the GL. Definitely looks like the storm potential is quickly fading, but some flakes flying around in the air will be nice for many of us. :guitar:

Yeah looks like a good shot at some snow showers/flurries for many of us across the GL. Definitely looks like the storm potential is quickly fading, but some flakes flying around in the air will be nice for many of us. :guitar:

You all can have the flakes for a little bit. The WFO here is already at 21.1" for the year, slightly over 25% of the seasonal average, before the start of meteorological winter. Trying to deal with mixed precipitation and rain/snow lines in the grids is maddening.

The NAM and GFS seem to agree on a light area of deformation zone precip giving much of Wisconsin at least a half inch (to possibly several inches in NW Wisconsin), while the Euro yields almost no snow except in the UP. Normally I'd favor the Euro over the former two models, but when they are in agreement, they should be considered.

The NCEP suite tries to amp up the 500mb low a bit more while it doesn't. Leading toward a pathetic "cold shot". Leaves a piece over the gulf because of it as well. Models have had problems with the strength of the northern stream all november. Remember the ECMWF and the pre-thanksgiving system? Actually dug the ull into the lakes.........then it stayed in Canada.

Substantial model differences already start showing up around 72-84 hours. Something's gotta give and soon. My gut feeling is that the less progressive solutions will be more correct but maybe not as slow as the Euro. Low confidence period though.

Archived