• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA thread

If someone had a ratio of the amount of red tag posts to non red-tag post our sub-forum would win hands down.

Not surprising, with Penn State/Accuweather/NWS here.

Regarding the increased totals...they'd hinted at it earlier so I bet it's just increased confidence in a large event rather than what they think is a trend. What I think is still the big wild card is road conditions tomorrow. A ton of people are driving in for the game, some of them tomorrow morning if they live nearby. Gonna be nasty if we get even some snow on the roads with a ton of traffic. In town might not be so bad-but the roads coming in that get up to 1500, 2000ft could be rough.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Warning

PAZ012-017>019-024>028-033>037-041-042-045-046-049>053-056>059-063>066-291600-/O.CON.KCTP.WS.W.0010.111029T0600Z-111030T0200Z/NORTHERN CLINTON-CLEARFIELD-NORTHERN CENTRE-SOUTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-SULLIVAN-SOUTHERN CLINTON-SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-SNYDER-MONTOUR-NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RENOVO...DUBOIS...CLEARFIELD...PHILIPSBURG...STATE COLLEGE...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON...MOUNT UNION...LEWISTOWN...MIFFLINTOWN...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG...CHAMBERSBURG...MANSFIELD...WELLSBORO...LAPORTE...LOCK HAVEN...WILLIAMSPORT...LEWISBURG...SELINSGROVE...DANVILLE...SUNBURY...SHAMOKIN...BLOOMSBURG...BERWICK...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVILLE...LEBANON...CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER757 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 10 PM EDTSATURDAY...* LOCATIONS...MOST OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW...WHICH WILL BE MIXED WITH RAIN FOR A FEW HOURS AFTER THE ONSET NEAR...AND TO THE SOUTHEAST OF INTESTATE 81.* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS AROUND 1 FOOT.* TIMING...BEGINNING AS LIGHT SNOW SHORTLY BEFORE MIDNIGHT IN THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS AND SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...SPREADING OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE WARNING AREA OVERNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL FALL HEAVY AT TIMES BEGINNING SATURDAY MORNING. THE SNOW WILL TAPER TO SNOW SHOWERS SATURDAY EVENING.* IMPACTS...THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS...WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITY. IN ADDITION...WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES WILL BE POSSIBLE AS THE SNOW WEIGHS HEAVILY ON TREES WHICH MAY STILL HAVE MOST OF THEIR LEAVES.* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY EVENING.* TEMPERATURES...INITIALLY IN THE MID 30S TO LOWER 40S TONIGHT...THEN FALLING IN THE LOWER AND MID 30S FOR THE BULK OF THE STORM.* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO UNDER ONE HALF OF A MILE AT TIMES.

am i assuming correctly that everyone here is assuming a normal 10-1 for this one? i have to admit i'm thinking closer to 8-1 to 9-1 given the time of year. but some other data (like cobb data that someone showed me from the 18Z run) was hinting at 20-1 snow at times in the valley cities. please tell me we're not going to go over 11-1 on this, because some of the 18Z numerical numbers at mount pocono and avoca would give a foot to the valley cities and possibly 18" to 2 ft to the poconos with anything over 10-1.

am i assuming correctly that everyone here is assuming a normal 10-1 for this one? i have to admit i'm thinking closer to 8-1 to 9-1 given the time of year. but some other data (like cobb data that someone showed me from the 18Z run) was hinting at 20-1 snow at times in the valley cities. please tell me we're not going to go over 11-1 on this, because some of the 18Z numerical numbers at mount pocono and avoca would give a foot to the valley cities and possibly 18" to 2 ft to the poconos with anything over 10-1.

Snippet from NWS CTP

TIME OF YEAR AND AIR TEMPS INITIALLY ARGUE FOR A LOW SNOW-WATERRATIO BUT ALL MODEL OUTPUT SEEMS TO POINT TO A RAPID COOL DOWNAND A 10:1 OR BETTER RATIO TAKING OVER AS ANOMALOUSLY CHILLY AIRIN PLACE WINS OUT.

BGM going for the valley screw job.

Saturday: Snow before 1pm, then rain and snow. High near 37. Northeast wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Snow, mainly before 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. North wind between 9 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

The precip seems a little south doesn't it? kinda looks homely so far, but I'm sure that changes onces it swings around the trough.

Per HRRR (for whatever it's worth), the band doesn't REALLY begin to intensify until about 6AM (10Z)

Yeah, this is one of those storms where radar now isn't that important.

Jim

Earlier today the NWS posted in one of their discussions they was thinking 10-1 with 8-1 in the lower elavations.

Not sure how much that has changed.

One thing I have been thinking about... does anyone ever remember a big snowstorm with ground being so saturated like it is right now around where the flooding was in Sept? Could the fact that the ground has been so damp for so long mean it is actually cooler than many seem to think (evaporational cooling, etc)? I know Jamie has pointed out in earlier posts about warm surface not meaning it won't accumulate. Just wondering if soil/surface temperature is actually cooler and wont take much to allow snow to begin to accumulate... Thoughts anyone?

One thing I have been thinking about... does anyone ever remember a big snowstorm with ground being so saturated like it is right now around where the flooding was in Sept? Could the fact that the ground has been so damp for so long mean it is actually cooler than many seem to think (evaporational cooling, etc)? I know Jamie has pointed out in earlier posts about warm surface not meaning it won't accumulate. Just wondering if soil/surface temperature is actually cooler and wont take much to allow snow to begin to accumulate... Thoughts anyone?

Well you have two processes that work against each other there. As you pointed out, evaporation from a moist ground would tend to cool it down. However, waterlogged soil also has a much higher heat capacity, so cooling by conduction with cold air would be much slower with a wet ground. Which one "wins out" depends on lots of factors, and I'm not sure what the answer would be in this case.

Well you have two processes that work against each other there. As you pointed out, evaporation from a moist ground would tend to cool it down. However, waterlogged soil also has a much higher heat capacity, so cooling by conduction with cold air would be much slower with a wet ground. Which one "wins out" depends on lots of factors, and I'm not sure what the answer would be in this case.

good point... thanks

Just an FYI, the radar mosaic will look rather unimpressive until mid to late morning tomorrow. That is when all the dynamics get conglomerated, so don't go jumping off a cliff. Thus far everything is on track, the two streams are modeled correctly and temperature profiles are just where they should be. I know this is a dicey setup, but you are only going to get yourself overworked if you freak out over every radar/satellite frame update.

Just an FYI, the radar mosaic will look rather unimpressive until mid to late morning tomorrow. That is when all the dynamics get conglomerated, so don't go jumping off a cliff. Thus far everything is on track, the two streams are modeled correctly and temperature profiles are just where they should be. I know this is a dicey setup, but you are only going to get yourself overworked if you freak out over every radar/satellite frame update.

Agreed. If we have only managed an inch by 10AM here in State College, I believe we'll still be almost right on track.

Archived