Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA thread

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words Jamie. Comparing the Sterling radar against local observations I note that Carroll County Airport, just south of York, has changed over to snow. The radar is beginning to snow working down to the surface along a line north of US-70/40. Give it a few more hours in PA folks. Wet bulb temperatures in western PA are almost completely AOB 32.

No prob. I have seen enough of weather to know that radar can play games with your head, as can temps. I've gone to bed in dismay looking at radar and woke up to lots of snow, for example.

Took this about 15 minutes ago, grass is now being covered:

post-1498-0-58881500-1319888611.jpg

Frederick, Maryland web cams. Soon, my friends, soon. http://www.frederickscanner.com/

Also, if you can post your elevation when you note snow mixing in it would most appreciated. Enter your street address here and the box below the map will give an approximate elevation (http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm)

Thanks!

Bald Eagle between Port Matlida and Tyrone:

post-1498-0-09933300-1319889235.jpg

Note snow laying on road at overpass....that's with only moderate snow. See what I've been saying? That's just the overpass but if we get heavier rates later, with a February-level sun, it will lay on roads.

Down to 33 even here, snow, about 1 mil vis. Grass whitened and snow accumulating on trees now.

The voice of calm. You're like George with Lenny in Of Mice and Men. Tell us about the rabbits, Eskimo Joe. We want to hear about the rabbits.

Anyway, enough somewhat obscure literary fun, snowing here at a decent clip, cars getting accumulation, and temp has fallen a degree and a half in like 45 minutes to 33.6,

+ 1 Jamie

Thanks Joe for the update!

Rain here this morning but looking at the radar snow is getting closer.

As already mentioned it's going to be a long day. People going to the game have fun!!

Wow what a difference a few minutes makes. Winds starting to pick up (10 - 15mph) and temperatures down to 34 / 35 degrees now. I swear there are snowflakes mixing in.

Outstanding. You have a lot more open area around there, with all the fields. I'm more sheltered, and the best location for my PWS on our property is still less than ideal for wind. I'll probably just keep an eye on KLNS's wind speed, it's close enough in proximity.

Outstanding. You have a lot more open area around there, with all the fields. I'm more sheltered, and the best location for my PWS on our property is still less than ideal for wind. I'll probably just keep an eye on KLNS's wind speed, it's close enough in proximity.

BTW welcome. I live 12 miles west of State College but grew up in York (right in the city near Kiwanis Lake/Parkway Projects).

Anyway, note that nice band forming on radar and moving north. Looks good, State College peeps.

Where in Gettysburg are you located? I'm right off Old Rt 30 by the Cashtown Inn.

Folks in Lancaster and York Counties, expect the mixing to start soon. Below is an image of Sterling, VA radar from a few moments ago. I have been watching higher returns develop across southern York County, with snow being reported in this thread at the higher elevations. Higher returns appear to be large snowflakes and perhaps an ice pellet or two. Also take note of the wind direction across the region as a whole...turning to the NE. The surface low is taking shape, just as it should.

post-1389-0-72731100-1319891089.png

Archived