Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA thread

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now my SD channels are all gone. :/ Anyone know on DirecTV how to tell what's causing the interuption - the sky or snow on the dish?

The dish actually doesn't have much on it, looks like just a coating.

Anyone?

I would argue the large snowflakes are just reflecting the signal.

Down to 34...come on...

Give it 2 hours.

Port Matilda fire siren gone off twice now. Scanner lighting up, accidents on Julian Pike, Nittany Valley Drive, I-99, and I80, among others.

Waiting on the band that is heavy enough to require a SWS...starting to accum on trees and branches are starting to droop on the trees with leaves

What a presentation at 500mb! The trough is starting to take on a negative tilt at a location conducive for heavy snow from I-81 S&E throughout the afternoon. Later this afternoon and evening location such at Mt. Pocono and Hazleton could get rocked as the coastal goes to town. Just superb dynamics at work. If this were December there would be FEET on the ground.

post-1389-0-76536100-1319901044.png

What a presentation at 500mb! The trough is starting to take on a negative tilt at a location conducive for heavy snow from I-81 S&E throughout the afternoon. Later this afternoon and evening location such at Mt. Pocono and Hazleton could get rocked as the coastal goes to town. Just superb dynamics at work. If this were December there would be FEET on the ground.

Anything this far back west?

And look at that frontogenesis currently over C-E PA!! :snowing:

I was about to comment. By the way, is the thinking that it will still taper off around halftime during the game?

The heaviest stuff will probably be gone by about 19z (3PM), but light-to-moderate snow could continue right on through 00z (8PM).

Edit to add: Snow has definitely picked up here quite a bit with the latest band. It's starting to stick on the road.

Anything this far back west?

You are right on the edge, I mean right. I don't think you will get into sustained heavy snow, save that band working up, but you should stay in precip until 3pm.

And look at that frontogenesis currently over C-E PA!! :snowing:

Yes. Folks this is why jet dynamics are critical to east coast snowstorms in October/March. Without them, it would be 40 and light rain.

The heaviest stuff will probably be gone by about 19z (3PM), but light-to-moderate snow could continue right on through 00z (8PM).

Edit to add: Snow has definitely picked up here quite a bit with the latest band. It's starting to stick on the road.

RUC suggest till about 4-5 p.m. so ay around that time. Still another 4-6 hrs of heavy cranking.

Thanks...and yeah it's picking up nicely (I'm probably a mile and a half N of you on the NE end of campus). Sidewalks were getting slushy 20 minutes ago.

Posted this in the EPA thread, and thought I would share it here. Just another example of how completely brain dead the general public can be about a potentially serious situation.

Gotta love the general public. I post on a couple other boards, and I advised folks in a football forum that were talking about the storm that if they live in the areas the storm is having effect on, be prepared for a possible extended power outage.

As of 739, someone I post with in the Lehigh Valley area said to me "Southeast PA won't get much snow...it's raining now and all the Snow will be north."

Well, I see that literally like 45 minutes later Allentown flipped to Snow, and are now having moderate to heavy snow....

I hope people are prepared for this, because week long power outages don't seem to be out of the question at all.

Archived