Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA thread

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay folks, take it from someone who has lived in areas like Pittsburgh and State College and has seen two 6" inch October snows and a fair amount of accumulating Oct snows (this would be my 5 or 6 since 2005), let me share with you some things that I learned from those experiences. Things to keep in mind:

- Once snow starts to accumulate, and it will if it falls hard enough, the warm ground issue goes poof. Snow will lay on snow, will lay on more snow, and so on.

- At noon Oct 16, 2009, snow at about 1/2 mile vis, and began to accumulate ON DOWNTOWN STATE COLLEGE STREETS at 33 degrees.

- I had to pull over Oct 2, 2011, as I was heading up to see our first accumulating snow because the road was slush covered.

- Sun angle is like it is in mid-February.

- Snow and accumulating snow will allow the temp to fall toward freezing.

- I cannot stress this last part enough: do not think you will see only wet roads if you go anywhere and THIS KIND OF SNOW IS AWFUL TO DRIVE IN. Slippery as hell. If anyone is going to chase this, keep this in mind and go prepared.

I'm sorry Jamie, but i'm laughing here at your post. You have said this over and over and over and over.

People here at my work think this will no way, no how affect the Harrisburg area.

They will when a tree falls on their house or car. arrowheadsmiley.png

CTP region should be turning pink later this afternoon with warnings. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I woke up this morning with that super excited feeling you only get in winter right before a big snowfall. I'm just in awe at how this is coming/came together this week. You don't see this every year even throughout true winter let alone October!! I have to hand it to the EURO. It was showing this solution consistently 7 days out, so keep that in mind for the rest of winter.

Snowman.gif

They will when a tree falls on their house or car. arrowheadsmiley.png

CTP region should be turning pink later this afternoon with warnings. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Honestly, if we get this snow, that is my biggest concern, is the falling trees. Our area has had a Earthquake, Tornado, Irene, record rainfall and a flood.. The ground is still saturated from all the rain and i think th tress are unstable, imo

Okay folks, take it from someone who has lived in areas like Pittsburgh and State College and has seen two 6" inch October snows and a fair amount of accumulating Oct snows (this would be my 5 or 6 since 2005), let me share with you some things that I learned from those experiences. Things to keep in mind:

- Once snow starts to accumulate, and it will if it falls hard enough, the warm ground issue goes poof. Snow will lay on snow, will lay on more snow, and so on.

- At noon Oct 16, 2009, snow at about 1/2 mile vis, and began to accumulate ON DOWNTOWN STATE COLLEGE STREETS at 33 degrees.

- I had to pull over Oct 2, 2011, as I was heading up to see our first accumulating snow because the road was slush covered.

- Sun angle is like it is in mid-February.

- Snow and accumulating snow will allow the temp to fall toward freezing.

- I cannot stress this last part enough: do not think you will see only wet roads if you go anywhere and THIS KIND OF SNOW IS AWFUL TO DRIVE IN. Slippery as hell. If anyone is going to chase this, keep this in mind and go prepared.

All excellent points. Also something to keep in mind - tomorrow will be October 29th, just a few days shy of November. If we got those types of accumulations on October 16th, we can certainly get them on October 29th. Plus, this system is stronger and the air mass in place is colder than that storm.

And the million dollar question is, what does Penn State do with parking tomorrow?

Honestly, if we get this snow, that is my biggest concern, is the falling trees. Our area has had a Earthquake, Tornado, Irene, record rainfall and a flood.. The ground is still saturated from all the rain and i think th tress are unstable, imo

By far. We're going to see a lot of power outages. On my way to campus this morning I was looking a all the trees. Majority of them have quite a bit of leaves still on them still. :yikes:

All excellent points. Also something to keep in mind - tomorrow will be October 29th, just a few days shy of November. If we got those types of accumulations on October 16th, we can certainly get them on October 29th. Plus, this system is stronger and the air mass in place is colder than that storm.

And the million dollar question is, what does Penn State do with parking tomorrow?

Thats a late afternoon game correct, 330? could get interesting.

Penn State vs. Illinois @ 3:30pm. But to quote CTP's discussion:

THE SNOWFALL RATES COULD GET IT ICY/MESSY REALLY QUICKLY. MANY FOLKS TRAVELING TO STATE COLLEGE THIS WEEKEND SHOULD KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS SITUATION AND START TO CONSIDER CHANGING YOUR TRAVEL PLANS.

Yep. I picked an interesting game to go to…

I think they will have to re-arrange parking similarly to what they did for the Alabama game where they wouldn't let anyone tailgate on the on-campus grass fields. It will be very hard for these big RVs to get out of parking lots if 3-4" of snow has fallen over the day.

Penn State vs. Illinois @ 3:30pm. But to quote CTP's discussion:

THE SNOWFALL RATES COULD GET IT ICY/MESSY REALLY QUICKLY. MANY FOLKS TRAVELING TO STATE COLLEGE THIS WEEKEND SHOULD KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS SITUATION AND START TO CONSIDER CHANGING YOUR TRAVEL PLANS.

yeah, like anyone will pay attention to that, lol.

yeah, like anyone will pay attention to that, lol.

Yeah, I tried to warn my readers over at BSD about the impending doom. I'll go add that snippet from the regional discussion now.

I'm not even considering trying to head up there from Harrisburg. If anything, we might make a run for my brother's Halloween party in Harford County MD tomorrow.

Yeah, I tried to warn my readers over at BSD about the impending doom. I'll go add that snippet from the regional discussion now.

I'm not even considering trying to head up there from Harrisburg. If anything, we might make a run for my brother's Halloween party in Harford County MD tomorrow.

My brother lives in York and a few people if any down there are taking this serious, according to him.

My brother lives in York and a few people if any down there are taking this serious, according to him.

I think the issue is that it's really been sprung on people with all of the NW trending over the last two days. Just yesterday, it was "hey, we might get two inches!". When I woke up this morning -- and I keep an unhealthy eye on this stuff for a non-meteorologist -- it was October Power Outage Armageddon. Just within the last hour, PennLive.com has the potential snowfall amounts on their front page. It's going to catch a lot of people by surprise.

i spoke spoke with one of our coaches who lives in York county. he thinks were still playing our game Sunday. He said he doesn't buy it for a second we'll have any snow let alone 6". He also thinks it will be 56 degrees Sunday at 12 noon.

Archived