Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA thread

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone even broached the possibility of the PSU game being cancelled for concerns over public safety or even game conditions which are simply too bad? Has that ever happened for snow? I know thunderstorm activitiy is usually the only thing that stops a football game but how could they play in snow fall rates like the NAM and GFS would suggest?

Thankfully there is a good bit less foliage on trees than there was then, but it could still be ugly. The real damage will be in places like Harrisburg, who look to get even more and have more foliage left.

95% of the trees still have leaves here. Most of them green. So I was talking in vernal what 5-6" can do anywhere.

Has anyone even broached the possibility of the PSU game being cancelled due to public safety or even game conditions which are simply too bad? Has that ever happened for snow? I know thunderstorm activitiy is usually the only thing that stops a football game but how could they play in snow fall rates like the NAM and GFS would suggest?

The day they cancel a football game because of snow is the day America is done. You understand me? :lol:

Has anyone even broached the possibility of the PSU game being cancelled for concerns over public safety or even game conditions which are simply too bad? Has that ever happened for snow? I know thunderstorm activitiy is usually the only thing that stops a football game but how could they play in snow fall rates like the NAM and GFS would suggest?

Cancel a game? Hah! They don't even close campus when trees are falling on people.

To me, the heaviest snow is probably out of State College for most of the game. There could be some decent snow falling at the beginning of the game, but these always seem to wrap up quicker than expected. The problem will be getting to the game, because that's probably when we'll be getting the heaviest snow.

It's almost too bad it's not a noon game - that could be really fun...

First warning out to the west. Ours probably comes now to 230.

MDZ001-PAZ074-076-WVZ023-041-290045-/O.UPG.KPBZ.WS.A.0007.111029T0100Z-111029T2000Z//O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.W.0008.111028T2300Z-111030T0000Z/GARRETT-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE RIDGES-PRESTON-TUCKER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...GRANTSVILLE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...NORMALVILLE...FARMINGTON...OHIOPYLE...MARKLEYSBURG...KINGWOOD...TERRA ALTA...PARSONS...DAVIS...THOMAS1238 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 PMEDT SATURDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECTFROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 PM EDT SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORMWATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW, WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHEST RIDGES.* TIMING...SNOW WILL INCREASE IN INTENSITY TONIGHT AND BEGIN TO TAPER OFF SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED WITH ACCUMULATING WET SNOW. THE HEAVY WET SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL LEAD TO DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.* WINDS...EAST AT 5 TO 10 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S SATURDAY MORNING, WARMING TO THE LOWER 30S BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN A QUARTER OF A MILE AT TIMES.

Ok, was not sure. Just can't imagine them playing in the middle of a "Blizzard" but I guess I am just getting old. Ha. I do know that some things are handled differently due to the litigious nature of our society.

Remember, for a snowstorm to be a blizzard, you must have sustained winds of over 35 mph. I hardly see wind being a factor with this storm. This will be more of a heavy wet snow.

Remember, for a snowstorm to be a blizzard, you must have sustained winds of over 35 mph. I hardly see wind being a factor with this storm. This will be more of a heavy wet snow.

Yes, that was why I put the quotes. Lots of people do look at snow falling at rates of 1-2" an hour as a "blizzard" since it would be a white out anyway regardless if it is due to falling vs. blowing snow. Should have used a different word though I think sustained winds of ~20 MPH would not be out of the question as to taking the snow and making a new wet cement like wall on wind facing structures.

Sorry if this is OT, but does anybody know if PennDOT is out treating the roads? Do they plan on going out tonight to do it, or is there no point since the preceding rain will wash away the salt?

I was planning on heading out to Lancaster tomorrow, which is why I'm asking this thread.

I only could hope they are.

Jim Cantore is coming to Harrisburg... that's when you know things may be bad when he shows up in your area!!

they tried that once before back in the 90's and it didn't work out for any of us, storm went way west. the crew from TWC kept moving. in the morning they were standing on the steps of the capitol saying, "Harrisburg will be measuring their snow with this" and he held up a yard stick........not sure if we even got an inch that time.

is he for real coming here, or you kidding?

PAZ012-018-019-024>028-033>037-041-042-045-046-049>053-056>059-063>066-290115-/O.CON.KCTP.WS.W.0010.111029T0600Z-111030T0200Z/NORTHERN CLINTON-NORTHERN CENTRE-SOUTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-SULLIVAN-SOUTHERN CLINTON-SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-SNYDER-MONTOUR-NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RENOVO...PHILIPSBURG...STATE COLLEGE...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON...MOUNT UNION...LEWISTOWN...MIFFLINTOWN...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG...CHAMBERSBURG...MANSFIELD...WELLSBORO...LAPORTE...LOCK HAVEN...WILLIAMSPORT...LEWISBURG...SELINSGROVE...DANVILLE...SUNBURY...SHAMOKIN...BLOOMSBURG...BERWICK...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVILLE...LEBANON...CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER114 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 10 PM EDTSATURDAY...* LOCATIONS...MOST OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW...MAY BE MIXED WITH RAIN AT THE ONSET.* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.* TIMING...SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT IN THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS... SPREADING OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE WARNING AREA OVERNIGHT AND INTO SATURDAY MORNING.* IMPACTS...THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL CREATE SLIPPERY TRAVEL CONDITIONS. IN ADDITION WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES WILL BE POSSIBLE AS THE SNOW WEIGHS HEAVILY ON TREES WHICH MAY STILL HAVE MOST OF THEIR LEAVES.* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO WELL UNDER A MILE AT TIMES.

Odd cause the headliner says 6-10" Conflicting.

Archived