• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The Mid Atlantic members elevation thread

nj2va

I'm 203 feet per earthtools.org. Pretty cool site since you can narrow down to your street.

http://www.earthtools.org/

Great tool if accurate, but something is amiss in my neighborhood in Herndon. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, down a long driveway, perhaps 15 feet below where my mailbox is located. However, the height shown for the vicinity of my mailbox is 433.1 feet, whereas the height shown for the vicinity of my house is 436.4 feet.

Great tool if accurate, but something is amiss in my neighborhood in Herndon. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, down a long driveway, perhaps 15 feet below where my mailbox is located. However, the height shown for the vicinity of my mailbox is 433.1 feet, whereas the height shown for the vicinity of my house is 436.4 feet.

It's a nice quick online tool, but is as much as 50-80 ft incorrect in some areas.

It's a nice quick online tool, but is as much as 50-80 ft incorrect in some areas.

I just used Google maps and found the altitudes in my neighborhood to match up pretty well with those in Earth Tools, except that the Google altitudes make far more sense in relative terms. Google lists the altitude of my house as 429.3 feet (7.1 feet less than Earth Tools), whereas two other houses directly on my cul-de-sac are seven feet and sixteen feet higher, which is right in the ballpark. So, while it may not make much of any difference in calculating how much snow you're likely to receive, I would recommend Google over Earth Tools to determine altitudes.

I will assume most people know this, but just in case someone didn't know, the NWS maps provided with the local forecast also have elevation maps. You have to use the old fashioned contour lines. I like to use those maps to explore terrain of various areas.

I will assume most people know this, but just in case someone didn't know, the NWS maps provided with the local forecast also have elevation maps. You have to use the old fashioned contour lines. I like to use those maps to explore terrain of various areas.

Jnis, actually you don't have to use the contour lines. If you can point and click, and put the little X, very close to your location the NWS site will show the elevation and Long/Lat for the X just below the box containing the map. I hope this helps.

Jnis, actually you don't have to use the contour lines. If you can point and click, and put the little X, very close to your location the NWS site will show the elevation and Long/Lat for the X just below the box containing the map. I hope this helps.

I like to use the contour lines because you can visualize the terrain.

I like to use the contour lines because you can visualize the terrain.

If you like to use contour lines I love this site: http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=42.15929413&lon=-79.59665680&zoom=10

Put in the exact address in the bar at the very top above the map and switch the view from hybrid to terrain. Zooming in and out gives you different views of the contour lines.

If you like to use contour lines I love this site: http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=42.15929413&lon=-79.59665680&zoom=10

Put in the exact address in the bar at the very top above the map and switch the view from hybrid to terrain. Zooming in and out gives you different views of the contour lines.

Very nice. Thanks. I love the look of contour maps. It's probably that my wife used to do cartography the old school and she excelled a drawing contour lines.:)

Archived