amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October Banter/ Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks seasonable chilly in the long range...the ensembles only go out to the 25th but that time period looks seasonal. I wouldn't call it a cold pattern by any stretch of the imagination, but the longwave torch pattern is gone.

We need to rotate the arctic a bit...all the cold is stuck on the Europe side right now. I'd like to see it start building in Siberia more.

I don't like how the 12z ECM keeps the PV sitting over Northern Greenland; that's going to make it mild over most of the Arctic and ruin our chances to develop more sea ice/snow cover. We're starting to look pretty screwed on snow cover because Siberia's cold air source is cut off by that PV, and the potent +NAO doesn't seem to be improving.

I don't like how the 12z ECM keeps the PV sitting over Northern Greenland; that's going to make it mild over most of the Arctic and ruin our chances to develop more sea ice/snow cover. We're starting to look pretty screwed on snow cover because Siberia's cold air source is cut off by that PV, and the potent +NAO doesn't seem to be improving.

Yeah the more favorable pattern for Siberia keeps getting delayed a bit. They've been dry in the western regions which is keeping the snow cover down.

The one positive is it looks like we'll end up with a solid +NAO for the month which comes on the heels of a +NAO September. That is a strong combo that usually correlates well to a winter -NAO, but as we've seen the last couple years, it doesn't really seem to matter when its negative in the fall during this current regime.

Yeah the more favorable pattern for Siberia keeps getting delayed a bit. They've been dry in the western regions which is keeping the snow cover down.

The one positive is it looks like we'll end up with a solid +NAO for the month which comes on the heels of a +NAO September. That is a strong combo that usually correlates well to a winter -NAO, but as we've seen the last couple years, it doesn't really seem to matter when its negative in the fall during this current regime.

Does the super warm fall pattern with a general +EPO this autumn make you nervous about the winter, or are we getting into the perfect timing for a pattern shift right when it's time for winter?

Does the super warm fall pattern with a general +EPO this autumn make you nervous about the winter, or are we getting into the perfect timing for a pattern shift right when it's time for winter?

No it doesn't bother me yet at all. A lot of past Ninas have done this. Even past Ninas that weren't that warm here in autumn had similar patterns in the PAC. The shorter wavelengths create some nuances that can make our sensible wx different. I'll start getting worried if there are some ugly signs a month from now.

Yeah there has been the ridge there persisting. East of there looks pretty wintry...even spilling into nw Canada, but those western areas in Russia will be hurting I think.

Mild? These past couple days were hardly mild when compared to climo for the day. A +20 day in July/Aug would equate to 100F+ temps. Mid 80's and up is a flat out torch for the calender dates.

Never even hit 80 here so you must be refering to the CP and other metro areas.

yesterday was the day where everyone at every station in SNE hit 80...not today.. Today was always supposed to be a few degrees lower

With the exception that not everyone hit 80 you're spot on.lol

Memories of last Oct and all the cancel winter calls remain fresh.

LOL, If it hasn't started yet it will soon. Major league Winter on the way.

West Chesterfield was AOB today at least according to one of it's leading citizens.

C'mon Scoob, I never said anything of the sort. I did ,however, point out that Blizz's call for 80+ in GC failed, again. Blizz just wants GC to suffer the same brutal torch conditions that are the norm in his southern, low elevation locale. He will have to move here eventually to escape the heat and sleet.

With the exception that not everyone hit 80 you're spot on.lol

LOL, If it hasn't started yet it will soon. Major league Winter on the way.

C'mon Scoob, I never said anything of the sort. I did ,however, point out that Blizz's call for 80+ in GC failed, again. Blizz just wants GC to suffer the same brutal torch conditions that are the norm in his southern, low elevation locale. He will have to move here eventually to escape the heat and sleet.

Your normal high for today is in the upper 50's..If you're 77-78 you're +20..No spinning that my long haired hippy frisbee throwing friend

lol... you are something else, Pete. Always going after the low elevation dwellers ;) Your average high is probably like mine and right around upper 50s to near 60F this time of year... to see mid/upper 70s is incredibly warm. I've noticed your high temps are very similar to what I see up here. We set a record high of 78F up here one of those days and Montpelier at 1,200ft set a record with 77F; I'd imagine your records are similar so you likely had near or record warmth. The equivalent on the cold side would be if we were seeing *highs* in the upper 30s... it would be snowing basically if this warm pattern was inverted in the cold direction. If only...

lol... you are something else, Pete. Always going after the low elevation dwellers ;) Your average high is probably like mine and right around upper 50s to near 60F this time of year... to see mid/upper 70s is incredibly warm. I've noticed your high temps are very similar to what I see up here. We set a record high of 78F up here one of those days and Montpelier at 1,200ft set a record with 77F; I'd imagine your records are similar so you likely had near or record warmth. The equivalent on the cold side would be if we were seeing *highs* in the upper 30s... it would be snowing basically if this warm pattern was inverted in the cold direction. If only...

I never said it wasn't warm. I never said it wasn't unusually warm. I only pointed out that we failed to hit 80 as Blizz promised. Temps in the 70's, while unusual for this time of year here just isn't something I feel the need to complain about or spin into some sort of uncomfortable heat wave. It's been nice. The cold and snow will be here soon. I promise.

I never said it wasn't warm. I never said it wasn't unusually warm. I only pointed out that we failed to hit 80 as Blizz promised. Temps in the 70's, while unusual for this time of year here just isn't something I feel the need to complain about or spin into some sort of uncomfortable heat wave. It's been nice. The cold and snow will be here soon. I promise.

if it doesn't snow in your back yard by november 15th you owe me a trip to MRG.

Still looks semi mild on them because the flow is almost zonal with maybe a slight trough. But certainly nothing like the all out torch the OP run has.

Yeah...I didn't mean to imply cold at all. In fact I believe the 850 temps are still a bit above normal despite the troughy look.

I have no problem with this wx. Let it be a mild month - October is essentially a throw away month anyway wx-wise. As long as the cold and snow season commences by the latter half of November I'm happy. I get home from Spain on 11/16 so I think I'm timing that out pretty good. Most years I won't miss much before 11/16.

Five hours on a tractor today bush hogging and another day tomorrow, but should wrap it up for the season on Wednesday. It's still pretty wet in places, but this is the only opening probably so have to do it.

57/56, A high of 77 (73 @2k), a warm but pleasant day.

Archived