joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Fall Foliage 2011

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much peak or nearly so here now. Heavy leaf drop already too in some spots, including at the homestead. Lost a ton last night in the downpours.

Not our most brilliant fall so far--dry mid-summer lead to crispiness and a very wet late summer has lead to much fungus on the leaves, muting the colors... Still pretty though.

Will take pics this weekend.

Something weird is going on around my area in Central NH. Very muted color. The sugar maples seem to start turning dull colors then I notice the leaves shriveling up and just falling off. No bright colors at all. I have heard something about a mold going around but so far very poor color!

There is def color in the swamp maples and other trees along my drive up 93, but they are heavily dulled with a brownish tinge. GC style leaf drop at home after Irene.

Yes, the usual suspects are changing colors around these parts. I have a Birch in my front yard that is basically fully exposed and it's lost about 75% of its leaves and the rest are all brown.

Very little color anywhere in SNE so far. Awful season this year

Very little color here in Rindge NH at 1300'...terrible foliage season. I'd say the majority of the forest is still green, and the majority of the colors are muted yellows and browns from fungus-infested trees. Not at all beautiful as a New England fall should be.

Tooling up and down the flooded Hudson river these past days. There is no color but shades of olive on hillsides and grey skies above. Even the air itself has been a grey and dingy soup of clammy vapor all Sept. Today is the first actual cool air of the season here.

There has been no cool dryness to trigger the tannin flow and it shows. Badly.

The river itself has been in various modes of flood stage since late Aug. Bankside houses are surrounded by shallow moats. Steeper and treeless embankments have let go in places. Some mud slides are eating away at peoples back yards where trees had been cleared away some time ago for the view.

Boating on the Hudson is unsafe because of the flotsam. Wreckage of docks, walls, whole trees, derelict boats and rafts of logs and branches litter the waterway from Yonkers to Albany. There was a dead cow in the flotsam raft that collects in the "back draft" of our barge tow this morning. I'm wondering if I'm back on the Mekong river. No, Im not having a flashback.

Lots of jaunty weekend sailors are losing their screws and beating their lower units.

Stop that. Get your minds out of the gutter.

So yeah, this year's foliage is a washout.

I'll have to make a florid post about the economic catastrophe this has been unleashed upon the poor Chinese bus operators whose idling and barren coaches wait vainly for a load of bickering grouchy whiteheads to take their Fall peeping tours.

Oh the suffering.

Vim Toot!

Even a poor year is pretty, but... Very limited reds so far, mainly on wet-site red maples, though I have some hope for the sugar maples that wait until mid-Oct, and the late (sometimes into Nov) red maple on Sand Hill in Augusta, the most dependable red color in the area. Right around MBY the ash and birch are nearly bare, no surprise given the wind, as are most of the aspens, which normally shed late along with oak. Maples here are yellow-tan, and like about 6 other posters I'll say "muted", but also about 60% bare, where they usually hold 3/4 their leaves into 2nd week Oct. Possibly the earliest leaf fall I've seen since moving out of Ft.Kent. Even the trees in PQI/Ashland had more leaves last Thurs/Fri than MBY had just prior to my heading up there. (Slight fudge there, as N.Maine has little white ash and that early-dropping species is common at my place.)

Nothing but bleh here in SW CT. Any color is quickly muted by brown and the leaves drop off shortly there after. Looks like a bad season, worst ive seen in years.

From the foliage network (http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=310:ne-foliage-report-7-2011&catid=34:northeast-us&Itemid=68)

Another dreary weekend in the Northeast. Unfortunately, it appears that this won't be one of the better foliage displays. In the Capital Region of New York (where The Foliage Network is located), I've observed a good number of maple trees whose leaves turned yellow and brown and have fallen. In my front yard, there is a fantastic sugar maple that usually lasts the entire foliage season. However, this year, nearly all the leaves have already fallen. Many of our spotters have noted similar circumstances in their areas. I believe this is due to the trees being affected by anthracnose, a tree disease that readily affects leaves. It is caused by various fungi and it thrives in wet weather, something we have had plenty of in much of the Northeast. The good news is that the trees will recover from the disease. The bad news is the effect it will have this season. Please keep in mind that this disease is not affecting all trees, not even most. The trees that are infected will lose their leaves quite early. In addition to the anthracnose, the leaves are also a bit stressed from when Tropical Storm Irene affected the region.

Will this foliage season be a bust? No. However, it would be nice if the weather would start to cooperate. Ideally, we would have mild, sunny days and cool, crisp evenings.

As for the current foliage conditions, high color (60% - 80% change) can be found in much of northern Maine, portions of northern New Hampshire, northeastern Vermont and the Adirondack Mountains in northern New York. In the higher peaks of the Adirondacks, foliage is currently at peak. In central Maine and New Hampshire and much of Vermont, moderate color (31% - 60% change) is the rule. The same holds true for the lower elevations of northern New York, portions of the Catskill Mountains in southeast New York and portions of New York's southern tier. Elsewhere in the region, color change is in the low range (11% - 30% change).

Leaf drop is mostly low in the region. However, it is a bit higher (moderate) in some of the areas reporting high to peak color change.

10012011_lc.gif

10012011_ld.gif

Color is coming on very quickly in the Plymouth NH area. 2 or 3 days ago we were basically green or dull colors. Big change just from yesterday. Quite a bit of bright color coming on just today. Peak will be just before the rain mid week.

I noticed a big difference here just between yesterday and today.

Huge difference here in the past few days, as well... the reds really exploded. We are at peak now from the village up to the base of the ski resort... above about 2,500ft there's very little left on the trees. Today was the first day in a while I've gotten out on the 4-wheeler at the ski area, and the bottom half of the mountain (1,500-2,500ft) is beautiful but its looking like November (stick season) on the upper half from 2,500-4,000ft.

I noticed a big difference here just between yesterday and today.

I said the exact same thing yesterday to my self.... I drove up to Whitefield for a wedding this weekend. Said in the car "man these colors suck" Drove back yesterday and I was blown away. I though it might of been how the sun was in the sky, but Nope. Definitely a difference in Concord and MHT.

I'm wondering if there was a couple day lag between the cold nights on Wed and Thursday of last week, and the color change This saturday and sunday?

We have a lot more color here too compared to before the weekend. But its all pretty muted. Some more reds, but they are nowhere near as good as years past. The warm and wet fall thus far has been a disaster for good color this year in the region.

Archived